Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 12:40:59 AM EDT
Just curious as to what threat level holster you guys carry on duty?

Also, do you carry off duty, what do you carry, and where do you carry it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Our department issues the Safariland Mod. 070, the SSIII. Level 3, fast, secure, comfortable.
S&W 642 .38spl DeSantis ankle holster. Glock 22 in DeSantis pancake.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
What do the different levels of holsters represent?

Av.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do the different levels of holsters represent?

Av.
View Quote

The level represents the number of mechanisms/straps securing the weapon in the holster.  A Safariland level 3 holster has 2 straps and an internal locking mechanism that must be overcome in order to draw the weapon.

I carry a department-issued Safariland SSIII with a Sig P229.  Off-duty I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP in a Blade-Tech IWB.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Safariland SS-3 holster on duty, off duty I use an open top cydex. Duty weapon Glock 17.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
On duty i use a Uncle Mikes Pro-3 Sig P-226 9mm
Beretta 85 in a ankle holster for back-up and the Beretta in a pancake holster off duty.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 23 in a Safariland Level 1 on-duty
SW 649 in a belt holster on my vest
Glock 23 in a Glock belt-slide off-duty  (mostly)

stg44- do you like the DeSantis ankle holster?  Does it work well even in foot chases, etc.?
Thanks!  dp
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Safariland SSIII
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I just went to a Safariland Level III, but only because they were out of Level IIs and my holster started falling apart. It as a move I had contemplated for a long time, but I finally decided that since most of the time, when something bad is happening, my weapon is already out, it wasn't much of an issue.

I carry my duty weapon off-duty for the most part (A SIG P229), mainly because I am more used to carrying it than anything else. I carry on my strong side hip (maybe back a little) in a plain vanilla cheap Uncle Mike's thumbreak holster with my shirt untucked. I work plain clothes for the most part anymore, and that is the way I carry to work every day. It is not very "well" concealed, but so many people carry cell phones, pagers and PDAs it has to leave them guessing. I have been busted by little kids more than once at the checkout line, though. I guess looking up gives them a better perspective for concealed weapons detection.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
level 3 on the Job.
I generally carry off duty in a fanny pack.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Safariland SSIII
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Uncle Mike's Pro-3 with Glock 22 (Level 3).

Glock 19 off duty in IWB holster.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]
On duty: Glock 22 in SSIII.
Off duty: Glock 23 in Fobus or Milt Sparks IWB.
Back up: S&W442 Centennial in safariland ankle
        or above Glock 23 in vest
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now I carry a Bianchi Level I for my Glock 22. I carry a Galco Level I for off duty.
I just got a new Glock 21 and I will be carrying the Safariland Model 295 Level II.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Safariland 295 Level II On Duty W/Glock 21
lasermax and inavative weaponry red/green sights.

Off Duty Well Lets See..........

S&W 66 4"
S&W 629 4"
Glock 26
Glock 17
Caspian 1911
Colt MK IV Series 70

Kida depends on activity and weather :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
On duty : Glock 22 in a Safariland 295, level II.  Backup : Glock 27, I ain't telling how or where I carry it,  [kill]...

Off duty : Either of the above pistols in a Fobus pancake holster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Safariland sls level II right now but our office is in the middle of another transition and we are going to the uncle mikes pro3..
off duty i carry my sig 226 in a galco paddle holster..only level 1.or i carry my smith 640 centennial in a fanny pack(more of the time as there isn't too much call for jackets down here in fl)
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
i carry a safariland level II. its extreamly fast and confusing to a untrained person.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
On duty-Glock 22, Safariland 295 level 2
On duty backup-Glock 27 vest mounted

Off duty-Glock 27, Galco belt slide
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#19]
On duty: My department issues level 2 Bianchi Defender Holster for Glock 23 for uniform wear. Desantis Viper paddle for detectives/plainclothes. Off Duty I either carry my G23 in a Bianchi PDQ , my G27 in a Blade-Tech IWB or a Chief Special in an Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#20]
[u]If your agency allows you to carry off duty then always carry, I mean always carry of duty.[/u] You just never know when you will meet someone who you have dealt with in the performance of your job or for those of you who like to accidently flash your badge around when off duty, might not like the fact that you are a LE officer. I recommend blending in and becoming an average looking citizen when off duty and not a rambo, save the world off duty cop.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[u]If your agency allows you to carry off duty then always carry, I mean always carry of duty.[/u] You just never know when you will meet someone who you have dealt with in the performance of your job or for those of you who like to accidently flash your badge around when off duty, might not like the fact that you are a LE officer. I recommend blending in and becoming an average looking citizen when off duty and not a rambo, save the world off duty cop.
View Quote

Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
On duty: Glock 35 in Safariland SSIII. Off duty, Desantis 3 slot pancake or Heinie DOJ for Glock 22.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Glock 22 with an ITI M3 in a level 3 Safariland 6280 SLS fitted to a 6285 belt shank (rides 1.5" lower than the stock 6280). I'm gettin' old, and my right shoulder can't handle a mid-ride anymore. my draw is much quicker, too.

I never really liked the SSIII - too damn bulky & rode too high. I had a hell of a time trying to draw while seated, too.

On my left ankle: a Glock 27 in a Galco ankle rig.

On my right ankle - a Blackhawk double mag holder with a spare mag and an XL (5") Cold Steel folding tanto.

"Fag bag" or Fobus Roto for off duty.

Duty ammo: Federal 155gn JHP Hydra-shok.

Still wish I could carry my Glock 20...[pissed]

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I noticed none listed it but an agency I worked for BRIEFLY used and still uses  a Sarfariland "gungiveaway" model I think is a model 85 level two front breakaway thing.  Really popular with glocks years ago.  This thing was/is Fastest holster in the world. It's faster than an open top no retention due to the draw stroke.  Multishots on target well under 1 second with good shooters.

Only problem 2 disarming in 2 years.  One resulted in a pistolwhipping of a officer who when he regained consciousness got on the radio and slowly followed the dirt bag from a distance until other officers arrived.  The LOW SPEED agency prohibited back-up guns and did not have vehicle mounted weapons such as shotguns.  Those were kept save in the station house for an emergency!

The second disarming happened in a hospital and resulted in one officer shot and the bad guy later killing himself with the cops gun.  

Still a LOW SPEED agency No change same holster system, shotguns still safe at the station along with a few new rifles still at the station and still no back ups.

This LOW SPEED agency only has about 60 officers, polices a college campus and maybe makes a handful of arrests a month.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top