Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 1:12:35 AM EDT
I have been bit/stung in the face while riding twice in the past month. I wear a full face with sheild but have the shield up at slow speeds.The first sting was just under my eye after the bee bounced off my sunglasses. This sting was typical, minor swelling like a mosquito bite and then went away after an hour or two.

Then yesterday I was riding in the same area of the county when I had another bee come in hit my nose lip area (no sting) then fall onto my chin curtain where it then lit my chin up like the 4th of July. It was such a hot, intense burn that I thought for sure it was a cigarette. I pulled over asap and got my helmet off to find a small bee. It looked like an ordinary bee, I'm sure I have been stung with before with no issues so i snapped a couple pics and went on down the road. After 10 minutes my face was tingling and my head was feeling minor light headed?  I pulled over again and looked in the mirror. My chin was purple, sore. I got back on the bike and got home, but developed a pretty good headache. I don't know if the headache was from the bee or if it was from simply being disgusted with the whole incident fucking up an otherwise awesome ride. All my years of riding the only time I have been stung is this year.

Anyone know what type of bee this is? My face is still swollen/sore after 12+hours. The only Bee critter that has ever took me down was the Japanese Hornet and they almost killed me when I was a kid. If I had gotten into a nest of these small things I hate to think how bad they would have whooped me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Honey Bee

They're out foraging, when you smack into them or vise versa, they tend to sting. They can only sting once. You'll just have to deal with the swelling for a few more days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A dead one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a Carolina Buzzing Possum, if i'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Spelling Bee. You'll no longer be allowed to post on Arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Obligatory

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a half bee.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Forget the bee...what kind of camera did you use?  Great pics!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Honey Bee

They're out foraging, when you smack into them or vise versa, they tend to sting. They can only sting once. You'll just have to deal with the swelling for a few more days.

Thanks BTH. The swelling wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't my face I suppose

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

EXIF information is your friend.  

Canon PowerShot A1000 IS

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Airwolf beat me to it: Canon Power Shot A1000is. It fits in my jacket pocket, has been very durable. I like to take pics when I'm out riding so its almost always with me. I use it to record video too.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a half bee.

Eric the half bee?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
At first I thought it was a boo-bee, but then noticed it was nowhere near the chest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I soak them with spray...they need to watch out for me!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top