Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 10:40:59 AM EDT
I can't fathom what it takes to do this to a child.

Link

Navy Wife Accused Of Storing Dead Baby's Body In Garbage Bag

POSTED: 5:00 pm PST December 13, 2005
UPDATED: 9:23 am PST December 14, 2005

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. -- A 21-year-old Navy wife accused of fatally neglecting her 18-month-old daughter, then storing her body for weeks in a garbage bag, was being held on $500,000 bail.

Richeal M. Rhoades was arrested Monday for investigation of manslaughter and booked into the Kitsap County jail. Prosecutors said charges would likely be filed Thursday and could include second-degree murder, manslaughter or criminal mistreatment.

The woman moved to the Jackson Park Naval Housing Area in Bremerton in August as her sailor husband Michael Rhoades prepared to leave from Kings Bay, Ga., aboard the USS Maine, a Trident submarine that was reassigned to a base at Bangor, near Bremerton.

According to documents filed in Kitsap County Superior Court, she waived her rights and made a statement to Naval Criminal Investigative Service officers. She described a steadily worsening depression, which led her to do the bare minimum for her two children, 18-month-old Brenda and Michael, age 3. She described letting the little boy make his own snacks and get his own water by climbing a step stool to reach the kitchen sink.

Eventually, according to court papers, the woman said she was giving Brenda only about 3 eight-ounce bottles of milk per day, with no solid food, and changing her diaper only once a day.

A week before Thanksgiving, the woman said, she left the window open all night in the little girl's room to air out the stench of dirty diapers, then found the child had a 102-degree temperature the next day.

She told investigators she found Brenda dead in her room after leaving the baby alone for 40 to 44 hours. She estimated that was a few days before Thanksgiving, according to court papers. She told investigators she ate Thanksgiving Dinner with neighbors, telling them Brenda was sick and staying with friends.

Instead of reporting the death, she put the child's body in a black plastic garbage bag, along with some dirty diapers, and left it in the child's bedroom until last Friday. Realizing her husband would be arriving soon, she put the bagged body into a box and taped it shut, setting it on the porch.

Her husband's submarine arrived Sunday at Bangor, and he apparently learned of the baby's death that night, although authorities weren't notified until Monday, the papers said.

An autopsy has been completed, but no results were released Tuesday.

The 3-year-old boy was placed in protective custody.

"This is sad," Navy spokesman Tom Danaher said. "It's a serious concern of ours and we're -- we're perplexed."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What kind of person does this?!  

The severely mentally ill

Quoted:

I (can't) fathom what it takes to do this to a child.

That because you aren't nuts
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That woman needs a fucking bullet to the head. Like yesterday!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks for the correction.

They were reporting on the news that the husband came home and was told what happened, then they went out for fast food, had sex then called the cops the next morning. WTF?! Why would anyone wait to call the cops on a monster like that?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the correction.

They were reporting on the news that the husband came home and was told what happened, then they went out for fast food, had sex then called the cops the next morning. WTF?! Why would anyone wait to call the cops on a monster like that?

If you were on a sub for a while, wouldn't you want pie first?

AB

They're BOTH sick asshats, and both should go down for this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]

"This is sad," Navy spokesman Tom Danaher said.

That boy sure has a way with words.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I could not imagine doing an autopsy on that child. It's bad enough it's a murdered baby, but it was in that bag for WEEKS with dirty diapers. Fucking horrible. The mother needs to be put away for life and have her tubes tied.

It's pretty weird and odd that the father would wait a day to notify the authorities, but I don't think you can lump him in the same boat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
"What kind of person does this?!"

the kind I would exterminate were I the Summary Magistrate.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I review the death of anyone in my state under 18 who dies from anything other than natural causes.

I've seen things (like this and then some) that have made me go home at night and weep...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]

It's pretty weird and odd that the father would wait a day to notify the authorities, but I don't think you can lump him in the same boat.

bullshit you can't the last thing i would want if i was told that my baby is dead is sex from the cunt that killed it
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]

What kind of person does this?!

The severely mentally ill

I disagree.......I believe that some people are just so incredibly selfish that they cannot have strong emotions about anyone EXCEPT themselves.

"Ooooooh I'm so depressed........"

STFU and get on with life!

Don't want to raise your kid?..........Give the child to someone who will BUT DON'T KILL IT!!

In TUMOR-World she gets one round to the cranium and a simple pine box!

Which ASSHOLE is next?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I would think both Tom Cruise and Brooke Shields would have something to say about this.........

And we should listen to them, because they're celebrities experts, and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top