Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/25/2002 2:16:15 PM EST
I'm starting to look for a motorcycle here. What would be a good bike? I am a big guy, 6'4" 270 lbs, so keep that in mind. Here are my prerequisites for the thing: 1. DEPENDABLE. 2. Comfortable highway/city use. 3. Can be used on rocky/crappy roads. 4. Not too ugly. 5. Would prefer to buy used. 6. Runs cool in hot conditions. Basically, I want a road/off road bike.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:29:09 PM EST
Honda XR400 or XR650. 4 stroke 1 lunger. Quiet but enough power and fairly agile. The 400 doesn't come street legal but for a couple hundred bucks you get a kit from [url]www.bajadesigns.com[/url] and make it that way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:43:20 PM EST
One of the Dual purpouse bikes sounds right here. Kawasaki makes one I think & also BMW I believe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:44:56 PM EST
kawasaki KLR 650, there is no other.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:48:45 PM EST
Kawasaki KLR 650 [img]http://www.bikepics.com/pics/kaw-klr650-97-bikepics-25059.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:55:21 PM EST
You can dream... [img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/new_models/r1150gs_adv/gallery_photos/13.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/new_models/r1150gs_adv/gallery_photos/10.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:00:14 PM EST
KLR650. Best bet and so cheap.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:52:26 PM EST
If you want luxury, go with the BMW R11xxGS. I have one (2000 R1150GS), and it is wonderful! They don't call it an Adventure, Turing bike for nothing. It handles the forest service roads just fine. I have taken mine over Four Peaks and up the back of Mount Lemon her in AZ. Got stuck on Four Peaks when we took a trail that just looked interesting and not used. Found out why it wasn't used that much... Oooops! Riding partner and I just had to work a bit, but got out fine. Go over to [url=www.advrider.com]Adventure Rider[/url] discussion forums. Lots of guys that mainly ride the GS, but there are other bikes discussed there. As for your points, 1. Dependable: BMW are good, as are the Kawasaki's and Hondas. 2. Comfortable highway/city use: Can't beat the BMW 3. Can be used on rocky/crappy roads: BMW can, but can be a challenge for the newbie. I have seen guys take theirs where I just look at them as complete nuts. 4. Not to ugly: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (BMW is gorgeous in my eye) 5. Would prefer to buy used: Use BMW GS's are there and sometimes prefered. The airheads are extrememly reliable. 6. Runs cool in hot conditions: BMW GS is fine. I burn out before the bike does. [img]http://members.cox.net/dirk.brewer/images/roadtrip/r1150gs.jpg[/img] Me and my GS [img]http://members.cox.net/dirk.brewer/images/Photos/Dirk_Sedona_fixed.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:36:15 PM EST
Guzzler Looks like sedona? If you are on a budget go KLR 650 otherwise BMW!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:48:36 PM EST
Thanks for all the replys! I had noticed that the BMW looked rugged enough. Definitely streetable! Now I just have to decide how much street vs. how much dirt I want it to see. I used to have a few bikes. Below is a pic of a Honda GL1000 (Goldwing) that I hacked together about 10 years ago. I wanted something very different, so I made something VERY different =) Made new plastic, made a new seat, made new clip-ons, moved the shifter/brake back a few inches, narrowed the gas tank, made a new exhaust system, rebuilt the engine and a bunch of other stuff I probably will never do again...LOL [img]www.members.aol.com/ericsorenson/bike.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:52:49 PM EST
Go with the Bimmer. All around fantastic machine. (If you get loud pipes on it, I will hope you have a target on yourself somewhere [:P])
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:29:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By mleaky: Guzzler Looks like sedona?
View Quote
Yepper!!! A friend from California came out and rented a Harley. We went on a two day adventure around the state. Unfortunately, he couldn't do the dirt roads on his bike. Had to stop and take pics!! The Sedona images came out the best.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:41:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/26/2002 9:45:52 AM EST by Guzzler]
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Thanks for all the replys! I had noticed that the BMW looked rugged enough. Definitely streetable! Now I just have to decide how much street vs. how much dirt I want it to see.
View Quote
The stock BMW GS is generally considered a 10/90 bike (10% dirt, 90% street). The Adventure GS (the pics Dscott posted) is considered a 20/80 bike. These are just guidelines, you can do alot off road on them depending on your skills. I know guys that keep them stock and ride 30/70 with no problems. You can add accessories (knobbies, shocks, hard points, crash bars, etc) that can make either bike a 60/40 or better easily. Oh, be prepared to shell out some $$$$ for the GS. Also you tend to baby it for awhile. For the price you paid, you get paranoid about scratching it. But if you want to have off road fun and just bang around, go with the KLR!! It is more of 80/20 bike (80% dirt, 20% road). If I ever move out to the boonies, I would sell my Beemer and get a KLR.
Originally Posted By Badseed: Go with the Bimmer.
View Quote
I didn't know this till after I bought the bike... BMW Motorcycle = Beemer BMW Car = Bimmer Don't ask me why! But that is just the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:02:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/26/2002 10:03:16 AM EST by Aimless]
Top Top