Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2002 10:37:46 PM EDT
I am watching CNN Presents and must admit I wish my parents had sent me to a private school. I have a month left till I graduate, and wonder if my education has been lacking. Then again I will be a Sophomore and a half in the fall...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to some pretty good ones , now my wife ended up in some really crappy ones . How do I know ? Well in a few years in dicussions on technical stuff and the lack of a good basic foundation in her education really shows through and it makes her mad when she was cheated out of a good education all those years ago .
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My family paid a ton to put me through private school and a private university.

Once I was done with the formal education, I paid $50 for the Encyclopedia Britannica on CD-ROM. Now it costs $20: [url]http://store.yahoo.com/fromhome/enbrit20.html[/url]

If I could do things over, I would skip all the school and just use the encyclopedia and internet for information. And ask lots of questions about things that interest you, and never assume you're right about anything. That's what I would do.

And for making money, I agree with Wolfpack, who is richer than I am because he had more sense.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club Doublefeed . Sounds like your in my boat , Except my problem was in college , sounds like you learn best when you teach yourself .
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Public schools have been the best experience of my life so far.  

Only at my high school (its in Chandler hint hint) could you do all sorts of stupid things.  

My senior year (2000)I had to weld a bunch of dummy guns for the Chandler Police Explorers.  

I put together a bunch of them, looked like grease guns, but I made an ultra realistic looing MAC10.  I even used a 5/8" bolt as the barrel so I could screw on the fake can for it.  

As it was, the teacher for our A&P class was a crazy 'Nam vet. He let us repel off the roof using a Swiss seat.  So Im repelling off the roof like a high speed operator and I come crashing in thru the outside doorway and make a less than graceful landing.  I roll and come up to the ready with my MAC10 and theres my teacher talking to the superintendant.  I got yelled at and once the super left, my teacher gave me money to get donuts.

Ah public schools...  how I miss high school.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey TopCrest, are you going to ASU or OofA? I will be going to ASU

Go Sun Devils!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Going back to CGCC next semester.  I know I will royally screw myself if I go to a university.  Perhaps the semested after that.  If anyting Ill proly go to NAU, got a condo up there to stay in and my Dad gets mad when its unoccupied.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Is 89 on an IQ test a pretty good score?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I went to public High School.  However when or if I ever have kids I'm sending them to private school or home schooling them.  I went to a decent one...didn't feel I got cheated with my education even though my last year was a waste.  Only needed two classes but you're required to take 6 so I had Econ/Gov and English with 4 classes which pretty much just required you to attend.  However, even though I don't feel cheated there is so much politics going on in the schools right now its sickening (from what I noticed anyhow), and its gotten at least 10 times worse since I left 5 years ago..

Currently going to college for a CS degree.  Got another year to go unless I screw it up by not passing a class.  At the moment, I think I want to be work as a Cyber Crimes investigator for US Customs.  Talked to a guy at a career fair, sounds interesting, but all in all getting fed of with school in general.  Starting to get burned out.  Wondering if I'd prefer doing something else but I'm this far now so don't want to waste the money...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I got kicked out of regular high school and had to go to the high shcool for kids who got in to much trouble. I guess you would consider it a public high school.

Either way I actually liked it better there and felt like I got a decent education.

I've put none of it to use and am a hang drywall for a living now. Though like somebody stated before, I was making good money when alot of other kids were in college.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to public high school and then got a degree at a 4-year university. However I feel like I dicked myself out of a good education. I played football through high school and did the bare minimum required just so I could keep playing. I skated by in high school and in college.

With hindsight, I wish I would have applied myself a bit more and taken advantages of the opportunity to learn things. Damn, I'm starting to sound like a parent.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Went to Cass Tech in Detroit Mich. It was at the time one of the top ten high schools in the country. You had to have a B average to even apply to take a test to attend. That was later determined to be " Not Fair" to some of the population and that requirement was dropped and so did the rating.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I went to Public HS back in the 60s when they actually taught students. Still, I was a bit distracted by the big thing at the time....VIETNAM!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went to Public HS back in the 60s when they actually taught students. Still, I was a bit distracted by the big thing at the time....VIETNAM!!
View Quote

Same here. 3000+ students. We worked hard, and I went on to be a chemist. Now (several degrees later) I anguish over what my kids will do. A buddy of mine left school in the tenth grade. He did better than me (even though the house is paid) and retired at 40 some odd. Go figure!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to a private high school in Virginia...right across from the CIA.  Anyway, my education was great, but I hated it there.  Bunch of rich, snotty liberals.  When I got to college, I realized what a good education I got.  I was a mediocre student in high school and had to work to succeed.  When I got to college, it was easy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Public HS.

Middle School was even worse. That place was a liberal shithole. My Science teacher was member of PETA. And, she slanted her "science" to match. She would rail about how the poor animals are being killed off, the environment is being destroyed, etc...She even forced every student to write a letter to the newly elcted President (Clinton) asking him to help the environment, etc...

Geography was fun...Of course by that I mean annoying. This was about the time everybody was breaking up (Soviet Union, Yugoslavia). It made keeping our maps current really hard. So, they just gave us a photocopy of the new map instead of getting rid of the maps on the wall which still showed the Soviet Union. I don't think they finally got rid of the outdated maps until the late 90s.

In HS, things were a little better. They didn't try to indoctrinate us as much, but we did have to deal with the advent of school shootings which meant that they cracked down like crazy. Also, some idiot student decided one day to call in a bomb/shooting threat to get out of school. Last I heard they arrested his ass.

In Elementary School we had dart gun and water gun fights from time to time right in the big open space in the middle of the school. In Middle School they would go apeshit over anything that looked like a gun. But, amazingly or not so amazingly anybody who wanted to could easily bring a knife anytme they wanted w/o fear of getting caught. I did so a few times. In High School, if you tried to bring anything that even resembled a weapon on campus you'd probably get arrested.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the "enjoyable" experience of going thru desegregation in the Deep South.  That translated in to riots, and only 28 days in school one year.  National Guard, State Police, the whole nine yards.

My parents got tired of the nonsense and enrolled me in private school.  Talk about a bad situation made worse.  That bunch of snobs thought they were the "elite".  For some reason, they considered me an excellent target for their pranks and jokes...Until the growth hormones kicked in a little late.  Suddenly the object of their torment was MUCH bigger than they were...  Last two years I fought every week.  Was nearly expelled the last week before graduation.  Had so many scores to settle and so little time.[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]

Have not even bothered to attend any of the reunions held since 1978.

Not a happy time in my life.[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Homeschooled, wife was homeschooled.  Kids are homeschooled.  No excuses.  Took my flight training at ages 16-17 as an elective.  Finished secondary at 21, started my own business at 22, married at 23 built my own house at 25.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I went to prep school. At the time, our public high school was on the verge of losing accreditation. I worked in the local factory in the summer, and in a restaurant during the school year to pay my own tuition. The education was excellent. Some of our teachers had higher degrees than ones I had in college. The tough part was the social pressure put on by the rich kids there. I took the bus, they had their own cars. I scraped together enough money to buy a pair of spikes I could use for both football and baseball.

We did have a trap/skeet club!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
high school and college are just like the rest of life. you get out of it in proportion to what you put in.
seek out the good teachers and make a real effort.
socrates taught under a tree, no fancy stuff required to learn.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I went to high school in the south side suburbs of Cleveland , Ohio. No crap allowed;jerks were delt with swift justice.You were expected to do your work and get an education.If you didn't, you flunked .Period.What part of Get A Life Don't You Understand? My first 2 years of collage were a repeat of high school.What the hell happened to our schools? A Professor friend told me that what we got in an education was the equivelent of Harvard. It has all gone in the toilet today... Damn Democrats
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Public High School

Had an IQ that double some of the other kids' (well, really close seeing....some had about 80s or less and I was/am 150-180...not really sure it's been a while). That made it hard to get along with the rednecks. Oh well now they flip burgers. True, some of them have good jobs, others don't.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I went to La Jolla High School back when Californistan public schools were among the best in the nation.  LJHS is still a bright spot in a badly degraded system.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
BTW, did you intend to use the name "therouge" (as in the makeup) or did you intend it to be "therogue"?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]
No offense to anyone, but private school is for FAGS!  Just my O.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, I went to public High School.  However when or if I ever have kids I'm sending them to private school or home schooling them.  I went to a decent one...didn't feel I got cheated with my education even though my last year was a waste.  Only needed two classes but you're required to take 6 so I had Econ/Gov and English with 4 classes which pretty much just required you to attend.  However, even though I don't feel cheated there is so much politics going on in the schools right now its sickening (from what I noticed anyhow), and its gotten at least 10 times worse since I left 5 years ago..

Currently going to college for a CS degree.  Got another year to go
View Quote

It sounds like we've had similar experiences with public schools.  It wasn't completely a waste of time, but I noticed more and more attempted indoctrination every year.  I am now finishing up my second year of physics and computer science at a very large public university and the propaganda is even worse.  The left really has a stranglehold on the education system:  from kindergarten through graduate school.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I ran into one of the potheads I went to HS with a few months ago. He works at a Toll Booth on the Turnpike.

Quoted:
Public High School

Had an IQ that double some of the other kids' (well, really close seeing....some had about 80s or less and I was/am 150-180...not really sure it's been a while). That made it hard to get along with the rednecks. Oh well now they flip burgers. True, some of them have good jobs, others don't.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BTW, did you intend to use the name "therouge" (as in the makeup) or did you intend it to be "therogue"?  
View Quote

Was thinking the same thing. *LOL*
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Public H.S.

It is where I learned to smoke dope, cut class and that college is a waste of time.
Needless to say my kids now go to private school despite what intellects such as jboze think.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to private Catholic school in New York from pre-school through 12th grade. My first public experience with "real" people was by going to a public university in North Carolina. I grew up with the elite of society and recieved a top notch education but also had very few friends and was constantly depressed throughout high school because I was never rich enough, pretty enough, and too smart for them! I get a laugh now because half of those rich bitches who made fun of me are now knocked up and working in Wendy's, while I am still in college.. I am still better off than most, like my folks are paying for all of my college and even grad school if I choose to go, no loans.. But, I have two part-time jobs right now and I am learning what the value of a dollar and hard work really is rather than sitting on my ass like most of my rich ex-school mates who aren't knocked up are doing.. I don't like to brag about my GPA and rather never mention it to anyone so as to mesh in with everyone. However, I feel my GPA of a 3.3 and making dean's list three semesters in a row is a reflection of my private school. My kids will definitely go to private school also if I have any, but not Catholic school.
-Andrea
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Public schools are the biggest joke. They are geared towards passing the students, thus typically dumbed down quite a bit. There are exceptions, but not very many. The variation from class to class is amazing. I can only recall one class that really made me work for the grades I got. I had one teacher who said we are going to study this chapter, here are your worksheets, they are due on Friday. A trained monkey could have passed that class. Had another one where the teacher actually put the test answers on the board and told us "you will only cheat youself in my class" What a crock.

Even with a full load of honors, and AP classes, I was never really pushed very hard. I know it is not their job to hold your hands, but they should challenge you to push yourself.

I got very bored, decided that work payed better than school, got my GED, got my job, and regret it to this day. I think they let me down in a huge way. My kids will not attend public schools, and I will work 4 jobs to see to that if I have to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I learned this in high school:

77%+19%+0%+3%+2%=101%

Must be some odd rounding in this poll.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Public HS

They had many many boring classes with teachers who had to teach at the lowest level.  The classes that kept me interested in school were the technical ones - Technical Design and Robotics.  I graduated in four years with almost another year's worth of class credits than everyone else because of test outs and zero hour and had a high GPA.  I swam and ran cross country for fun.

I have had decidedly more fun with friends in college, but I still work hard at learning stuff for my mechanical engineering degree.

I shoot with the rifle club for fun now. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Is 89 on an IQ test a pretty good score?
View Quote

Nope, but it's an excellent midday temperature in Texas during the summer. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Public HS - a long, long time ago!!  

Attended a small school, 66 in my graduating class.  At the time, I felt the limited course offerings, several poor teachers and a faggot principal had denied me a decent education.  Looking back, however, I have decided that in spite of those things I recieved an excellent basic education.  Made good grades and generally stayed out of trouble.  My BIGGEST regret is I failed to learn to type.  Still can't.  So uncoordinated it's scary!  Having twice been married to a teacher I can see why kids today are not getting what i did!  She was an example of a lot of money wasted trying to educate a moron.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Gosh, I don't really know what to say here. I've read all of the replys to the original question, and I haven't heard anybody say much of anything at all about the things that I most remember from high school;

1. The "Morning Prayer"

2. The Pledge of Aliegence

3. The "Pre-Game" prayer

4. The "Post-game" prayer

I graduated from a "public" high school way back there in the late '60's (We are glorius, We are great, Senior class of '68), but my son (a freshman, now age 15) goes to a private parochicial school. And "NO", we're not Catholic! He goes there simply because none of the four items listed above are now available in any of our local "public" schools. If that makes me, or my family, "wierd", then so be it.

If you too are "wierd", then you might enjoy hearig this, again. It's a bit slow in loading, but well worth the wait.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/dpaultx/reds_pledge.htm[/url]

JMHO . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Public schools are the biggest joke. ... My kids will not attend public schools, and I will work 4 jobs to see to that if I have to.
View Quote
I wouldn't send kids to the private schools I went to. With the time it would take you to work 4 jobs, you could do some excellent home-schooling and spend time with your kids.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I am still attending a public high school![:(]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I feel my GPA of a 3.3 and making dean's list three semesters in a row is a reflection of my private school.
View Quote

I honestly don't see much of a difference, here at a university, between those who went to a private school and those who went to a public school.  I was fortunate enough to go through a public school system which wasn't a complete waste of time...luck of the draw.  But it's the same with private schools from what I've seen.  A lot of them are so focused on religion that you don't learn anything.  I used to think that homeschooled kids would end up substandard because of their lack of interaction...but it turns out that that seems to be the only way to make sure your kids learn what they should.

On a side not, it is interesting that a 3.3 gets you on the dean's list at your school.  Here it requires a 3.75...but that may just be for us science/engineering students.  It might be more like yours for the liberal arts school.  Schools seem to vary quite a bit on latin honor degrees as well.  At my brothers school you get cum laude with just a gpa of not much higher than 3.0.  Here it takes a 3.5 gpa, a graduate level class, and a thesis to get it.  Oh well
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Went to a public school in VA.  It was AWESOME.  Due to a concentration of NASA and Air Force kids, test scores while I was there were the highest in the state, while we had one of the lowest budgets in the state.  The administration liked flaunting that stat, but it was the smart kids, the involved parents, and the excellent teachers that pulled it off.  NOT the administration.  For a public school, we had some pretty good credentials as to where people went.  MIT, Yale, Stanford, guaranteed full-rides to med school.  You name it.  Most people ended up at Virginia schools though (VA Tech, UVA, William & Mary, etc.)

Too bad in-state in VA is more than out of state in Missouri (coupled with the fact that I qualified for in-state for MO).  All in all, I was extremely pleased with my public high school.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Graduated from a tiny rural Texas public high school in the mid-1960's.  Sixty-one folks in my class.  Nobody failed; town couldn't afford it.  Played HS football and you're a made-man for life.  That HS didn't teach me much but was a great environment to learn.  Few distractions made it easy to study; went to Tulane from there.  Passed entrance exam for a name private school in Dallas but decided not to attend.  Things worked out pretty good.

**Edited to add I was the last one at that rural school to ride a horse to high school.  Didn't have to; it just seemed right.  Can still throw a Hackmore on a horse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I graduated from a public school in the late 80's.  Basically, I think you get out what you put into it.  I am sure I would have done ok at a private school, but that wasn't even an option since the nearest one was 100 miles away.  

My school wasn't all that bad.  We had the pledge every day along with singing the national anthem.  Hunter's safety was offered by the school. We had a rifle range at 6th grade camp.  School was not held on opening day of hunting season.  Additionally, most teachers were not concerned with teaching their politics.  They would rather you learned to think for yourself.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I went to school when it was still taught by the best and brightest teachers available. Prior to the '70s feminist movement, only the brightest women went to college. They became either teachers or nurses. Education in the US was excellent.

Since the feminist movement, the best and brightest now become doctors, lawyers, accountants, and business owners. Teaching is looked down upon now (nursing too). The second or third string are teachers now. To make up for 'dumbing down', strict policies are put in place (does 'zero tolerance' ring a bell?). Fads like 'outcome-based education', 'new math', 'block scheduling', etc. are all happy faces put on a failing school system.

My kids go to private schools where they are NOT taught that homo is better than hetero, communism is better than capitalism and white is the root of all evil.

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Some famous celebrity (can't remember his name) once said, "High School is neither a time nor a place.  It's a state of mind."

I went to two high schools.  A large, new one in NY and a small, old one in MI.  Large and new was better.

My oldest son is graduating from a small public high school and is class valedectorian.  He got a full tuition scholarship to a small private college.  He can read and write.  He should do okay in college.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel my GPA of a 3.3 and making dean's list three semesters in a row is a reflection of my private school.
View Quote

I honestly don't see much of a difference, here at a university, between those who went to a private school and those who went to a public school.  I was fortunate enough to go through a public school system which wasn't a complete waste of time...luck of the draw.  But it's the same with private schools from what I've seen.  A lot of them are so focused on religion that you don't learn anything.  I used to think that homeschooled kids would end up substandard because of their lack of interaction...but it turns out that that seems to be the only way to make sure your kids learn what they should.

On a side not, it is interesting that a 3.3 gets you on the dean's list at your school.  Here it requires a 3.75...but that may just be for us science/engineering students.  It might be more like yours for the liberal arts school.  Schools seem to vary quite a bit on latin honor degrees as well.  At my brothers school you get cum laude with just a gpa of not much higher than 3.0.  Here it takes a 3.5 gpa, a graduate level class, and a thesis to get it.  Oh well
View Quote

I go to a PUBLIC University not a liberal arts college. You need to recieve a 3.5 to make dean's list. I have recieved that or higher three semesters in a row. I have a 3.3 OVERALL GPA (sorry for not clarifying this earlier.) Its actually close to a 3.4 now.. But anyways, most of my friends here went to public schools in the south in which they have told me are some of the worst in the nation. A friend of mine who is originally from Minnesota moved down here (North Carolina) when she was 10 with her family and repeated the same stuff she had done in 3rd grade in 4th grade down here. She attended public school in both places. There is a clear distinction, I believe, between private and public schools and public schools in the north and west versus public schools in the south. Fixing a gigantic problem as in getting your kids a good, if not, great education is something that is going to take a very long time in my opinion. I am grateful for getting the education I did, it clearly showed when I entered english classes in my university. I had read Shakespeare and Beowulf in middle school and Dante's Inferno in high school, while some students have not read any of that! Let's just hope the future generations will get a better education than they do now..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Also, I'd like to make note and say that I have learned that education isn't everything! I came down south to learn what the real world was like not because of sheltering from private school, but it was mainly from being sheltered from my parents..(I'm an only child)I believe that a combination of a good education and having a grasp on the real world will create a very well-balanced adult!
-Andrea
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top