Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 11:10:17 PM EDT
Let me know what you use as your target at the shooting range.  I shoot paper w/ Shoot-N-C, bowling pin, coke can, rocks, etc.  Most memorable one was when I shot a bowling pin with .308 and it flew up in the air like 4 feet.  Another was when some idiot left a reflective item (mirror?) at 100 yards and blinding me through my scope.  So I took care of it by shooting it and burying it deep into the sand.  No more reflection. :)
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite is still old college textbooks that I was unable to sell back.  After absorbing a dozen or so rounds of 7.62 X 39, the back cover and back half of the book are shredded, and each subsequent shot results in a rather impressive confetti shower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Steel plates!!!

Nothing like a satisfying ring!!! to let you know that you have hit your target.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
An old school bus..with green tips.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
1.anything when it's hit burns up or goes boom!!!!
2.Fire Extinguishers.these suckers are cheap fun also.
3.Rock. at least 400 meters down range w/ iron sights....theres something so satisfying about the impact of a 7.62x51 round hitting solid mass making a cloud of Granite dust........damn I need to shoot!!!!!and it's three in da' morning..........
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Bowling pins w/my ex's picture pasted to them!!
[uzi]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
ANYTHING!...

actually I like to shoot empty propane tanks...(have not got the courage, yet, to shoot a full one with a tracer)

medcop
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Reactive targets are the best.  Best reaction lately has been a 5 lb. coffee can filled to the top with water and then capped with the plastic lid.  The can is turned upside down and ventilated once with a .40 or .45 round.  Eye candy!!  (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy shooting eggs. They splatter and explode, aren't the easiest thing to hit, they're biodegradable and extremely cheap!

What more can you ask for? [:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Binary explosive targets.  Any of 'em.  Pistol targets at 15 yards, rifle at 100 or larger ones with .50BMG at LOOONG range.  It's that FLASH-BOOOM-SMOKE when you get 'em that's just soooo rewarding.
[):)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Cantelopes.

A .223 does a [i]wonderfully beautiful[/i] job on the exit side!! [}:D]

Oh, the glorious splendor of a fully yawing, cannelurated, full-metal jacket projectile at 3000fps!  sniff, it truly is an exquisite thing of beauty [^]

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Cars & explosives are at the top of my list.

Teletubbies run a close second.  They don't hold up too well against beltfeds though.

[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/9/68/6/30096806wIwqcXRFAh_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Bowling pins are a blast with pistols.  Rifles require either Gallon milk jugs with water, or full cheap sodas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Whichever one I manage to hit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Glass bottles---corked and thrown into a pond or swamp.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glass bottles---corked and thrown into a pond or swamp.
View Quote

Just make sure you keep doing that up north and [b]Don't Mess With TEXAS![/b]

[img]http://pongo.com/flag/tx.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Gotta agree with steel plates.  They don't leave a mess, and that "KAplink" is so satisfying, especially at the longer ranges where you have to wait a couple of seconds to hear it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My favorite is still old college textbooks that I was unable to sell back.  After absorbing a dozen or so rounds of 7.62 X 39, the back cover and back half of the book are shredded, and each subsequent shot results in a rather impressive confetti shower.
View Quote

As much as I loved destroying my chemistry book from college, I have found that now several years later, I need it, and regret destroying it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#18]
First, on the full propane tanks, since they explode it is a classified FELON, so don't do it. (more importantly don't get caught).

For real fun, get a gallon milk jug, mix half and half oil/gas, place about 10 feet from a bonfire(not too big) line up yourself(100 yards away) the milk jug, and the fire, shoot, and watch the flash [pyro], i would not recomend this near woods, or anything flamable, BE VERY CAREFULL!!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

As much as I loved destroying my chemistry book from college, I have found that now several years later, I need it, and regret destroying it!
View Quote

This is the exact reason I have a huge stack of electronics books. Besides, I hate to pay $200 for something and turn around a couple of months later to sell it for $30. I'd rather just keep 'em.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, on the full propane tanks, since they explode it is a classified FELON, so don't do it. (more importantly don't get caught).
View Quote

So let me get this straight. If you shoot something that explodes it is a felony?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Man-like targets from 10-500 meters that pop up, bob and move...sometimes all at once, and sometimes several at the same time.

Otherwise, those Outers multi-color targets with a Shoot-n-See circular 6" fixed to the center.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Ponyboy,  Yes, i don't know if there has to be a certian size fireball, but i heard a guy this weekend at the range talking about how he used to shoot the little ones, like for lanterns, he was buying them so regulary at the local Wally World, the manager asked him what he used them for, he told him, and the manager informed him it was a felon, he called the local State Police, and they confirmed it. They said beacuse it exploded (BIG boom, from what this guy said, it makes a mushroom cloud like 40 feet in the air, and leaves a nice crater) that it was a felony to posess for that purpose.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I was going to say that I rather enjoy shooting pingpong balls filled with black powder, but now I think I won't say it.   [troll]

They ARE fun to shoot, though!

Hey, what about those exploding targets?  If they're legal, why not a modified pingpong ball?
I mean, heck, I've got to find SOME safe way of disposing of all this old black powder, don't I?

Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get an explosives handling permit, anyway.  It's easier than a CCW permit in some states.

Old cans of diced pineapple (or other foods) that are beginning to swell make fun targets.

Bic lighters.

Full cans of cheap spray paint!

Shotshell primers (live ones) taped to a board.

Get those toy gun caps in red paper tape, peel off one roll, and tape it to your target board
and nail it with something big, like a 12 ga. rifled slug.  The boom at the target may be louder than the boom from your gun.

Those caps are awesome, if you blow a roll at a time.  Drop a roll on the sidewalk (standing up) and nail that sucker with a sledgehammer.  If you're not wearing ear protection, you'll wish you had.  Neighbors will come out of their houses and look around.   Act innocent.

It's also fun to tape a long string of primers to a railroad track, back off, and wait for the train.   Space them a couple of feet apart.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Ummmmmm, papertargets(25M pistol target is a good rifle target, IPSC targets) and sometimes reactive steel targets(plates or pepper poppers)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Anything on water.  Yes I know it is considered dangerous.  Take all precautions, be sure of backstop.  But blown-to-bits shreds of the aluminum can 50 feet in the air are something to behold!

Other stuff fun to bounce around on the backstop are empty plastic quart oil containers, the damn things are almost indestructible and will take a lot of fire and bounce well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#27]

old hard drives aren't too bad. after several holes, i take them apart and the formerl mirror polished platter is usually pretty interesting to keep around. plus, it gives you a nice idea of how different calibers impact.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
has anyone tried these? Are they worth the money? [url]http://www.skylightexplosives.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Cans of Sams Soda.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Metallic silhouettes.....much fun
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#31]
 I like to shoot empty pop cans . nothing fancy but they dance good and are not to hard for my kids to hit .

I also like to take old golf balls and make them bounce uphill . I use my hi cap 9mm and the golf balls are VERY reactive to any energy .  Even a near miss can set them off .
I hit on square with my 12 ga . once and it Blew up . Cool .
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
has anyone tried these? Are they worth the money? [url]http://www.skylightexplosives.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url]
View Quote

In a word - yes.

I've never tried them myself but several friends took video of the Crater Shoot in AZ in August.  The video is impressive and they said the blast from a single half-pound charge was about the same as a stick of dynamite.  At one point on the tape they set off a 15 lb. bucket of the stuff.  VERY impressive, but not something you should try unless you've got a couple hundred yards between you and the target.  

I'll be trying them out myself in about two weeks, hopefully from behind a minigun.  I'll take some pics and try to get some video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top