Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2009 11:45:47 AM EDT
I think maybe I have a slight misunderstanding of the term, "tacticool." Let me give you a little background on myself.

I've always been pro 2A, pro gun, etc. I grew up around guns, shooting guns, shooting skeet, various pistols and rifles. Never any ARs though. The closest I came was an SKS when I was 13 or 14. I got my first gun, a 12 gauge Remington pump, when I was 14 at Christmas. Shooting has always been one of my favorite activities.

When I turned 21, August of last year, I bought my first pistol. It was a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm. (I know, I know, flame away. But hey I was new to automatic pistols, and it's given me over 3000 rounds without any problems at all. And it was cheap). Initially I wasn't going to pursue a CCW, as I didn't really see a need for it. After a decent amount of reading, I decided I was going to get my CCW so I would be legal to keep it in my car. While my application was in the works, and I was waiting on it to come through, I decided that if I had the permit, I might as well make the most of it, and that I was going to carry. I carried for about two weeks with the pistol chamber empty. After that, I realized it would be stupid to carry without having one in the pipe since that would do my about zero good in a quick reaction scenario, so I began carrying chambered. I now carry routinely, where it is legal for me to do so.

Around last November, I decided I wanted something cheaper on the ammo costs, so I got a Walther P22. While I was filling out the 4473, I saw my first AR up close. It was a local shop, and a farmer was in there looking for one.

It was then that I might have gotten the initial infection of BRD. I live basically in suburbia when I'm at home, and at college while I'm away. I didn't really understand why I might need/ want an AR. As with all things gun in my life, the progression went from neutral to very pro 2A.

Now here's where the tacticool comes in. I had been an avid COD4 player for quite a while. My favorite gun to use in the game was the M4 with ACOG. Something about the awesome factor rubbed off on me, and I started researching ARs online. I got on ARFCOM daily and read the AR discussions forum, the entire ammo oracle, magazines, and a bunch of others. I especially liked the pic threads. Over time, I became an AR expert (at least in my circle of gun friends ), and eventually decided to get a Colt 6920. (Originally I wanted a "mil-spec" M4, but that's when I discovered the joys of NFA). I also once asked what model the ACOG was in COD4, and was labeled as trying to be "tacticool". That was the first time I heard the term.

So here's my question: What's wrong with tacticool??

At first I just wanted an awesome rifle like I saw in COD4. Now I know a fair amount about the modularity and amount of accessories for ARs, but back then I was ignorant. However, it is fair to say, that if I had not sensed the cool/ awesome factor, both in the game, and in the shop while getting my P22, I would not have began my research. I know we should not just do what we see in a game, on the internet, or TV, just so we can be "tacticool," but it is definitely an attracting factor for newbies. I say don't act like someone is dumb because they want "tacticool" stuff - most likely they're just new to the AR scene, like I was, and don't really know what to look for.

To think, I used to actually be in favor of the AWB (before I had any idea what it actually entailed) and would not have been opposed to banning NFA items. Now I've certainly wised up, and debate people passionately about my stance against the AWB and for NFA items, as well as the repeal of the Hughes Amendment .

AND

In before all the cool story bro people. Let me help you get started.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cool+story+bro
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/3377/original/super-cool-story-bro.png?1244744947
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/cool_story_bro.jpg
http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/cool_story_bro_trollcat.jpg
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/3374/original/Cool_story_bro_.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj300/Zhusuke/CoolStoryBro.jpg
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/36790/1067629-cool_story_bro_super.gif
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/cool_story_bro3.jpg
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/55/Cool-Dog––cool-story-bro1.jpg
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/3376/original/1244741954750.jpg
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that is "tacticool."  Tacticool is shit like drop leg holsters, anything made by blackhawk tactical, dudes wearing ski masks, gas masks, etc if they aren't LEO or .mil.  Hell even then plenty of people get carried away.

Oh and the ACOG is probably an RCO-M4
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the rifle is trying to be tacticool...but the 350 lbs'ers that wear all the cheaper than dirt, brand new chicom gear at the range are.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
"Tacticool" is to firearms what "Ricer" is to cars...

Just because you THINK it makes you look cool doesn't mean you ARE cool...

Go for function before form and less people will make fun of you...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think that is "tacticool."  Tacticool is shit like drop leg holsters, anything made by blackhawk tactical, dudes wearing ski masks, gas masks, etc if they aren't LEO or .mil.  Hell even then plenty of people get carried away.

So..... I have a drop leg holster, a molle vest with some mag pouches, and a camel bac... does that make me tacticool? To be fair, I only wear it when I go out in the woods to shoot. It's much easier to carry things this way.

ETA:

Quoted:

That's what I was trying to do with the above mentioned stuff....
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The labeling and marketing of EVERYTHING as "Tactical" the last few years had a lot to do with it also. YOu know,tacical rails,tactical socks,tactical whatthefucks...............

Refence CMMGs tactical bacon as a spoof on"tactical"
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

Cool story, bro!

(we don't need no steenking graphics!!)  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So..... I have a drop leg holster, a molle vest with some mag pouches, and a camel bac... does that make me tacticool? To be fair, I only wear it when I go out in the woods to shoot. It's much easier to carry things this way.

ETA:

Quoted:

Get something because it works for you and does what you want, not to impress your friends or the strangers at the range (or wherever)...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
My last unit had TA-31F ACOGs

Just don't get a $20 airsoft scope on top a vulcan with UTG rail and tell me it's better than my arms room M4 with ACOG & RAS

Otherwise you're fine

But think: Do you NEED a $1300 4x power scope??  Buy ACOG for durable/rough handling, not sub-moa groups.  It's a battle optic.  My ACOG is so scuffed it's starting to turn silver, but it always works no matter what I accidentally hit it against
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ok, too much to read on a not so important topic.

I think tacticool is just a term for a weapon thats got too much stuff (or a lot of really cheap stuff) that is supposed to help your ability to use tactics.

that is all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Drop leg is the greatest thing since sliced bread when hog hunting.  

Search out the mall ninja thread and you will get a good understanding of tacti-cool.

You look and sounds pretty safe unless you red tiger camo that gun.  

Tacti-cool would be putting 24 pounds worth of crap on the rails and saying you need a bacon dispenser AND a robotic mace deploying mine layer on the end of your gun.  

Tacti-cool is wearing your full plate to someone else's kid's t-ball game.

Tacti-cool is duck taping plates to your Nascar t-shirt to work as a mall security guard....  sorry.

If you own a Barrett and PSG-1 you are a collector.  If you own an airsoft Barrett and it costs you as much as the real thing, AND you run around with an extra 10 grand in gear with said airsoft Barrett to "defend" the peace in your neighborhood.  You are tacti-cool.  In which case, you need a tacti-cool vasectomy before it's too late.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:

Get something because it works for you and does what you want, not to impress your friends or the strangers at the range (or wherever)...

I've got plenty of stuff laying around, I was picturing Sergeant Major Sugar Cookie getting geared up to take a trip to McDonald's when I said that...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Tacticool is when you pile on accessories that offer no benefit, and are actually detrimental to shooting good.

Pump-action shotguns, and SKS rifles are the worst offenders usually.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Tacticool is putting a 50 cal muzzle break on a mossberg.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Tacticool is putting a 50 cal muzzle break on a mossberg.

Oye, I have one of those!

Never shot it and it's a display piece... Aw fuck.  Ok.  It's tacti-cool.  But every single person who sees it in my collection skips the 6k+1911's and thinks that's just the best/worst thing they have ever seen.

It's the VROD of shotguns.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Tacticool is the 280 pound basement dweller stuffed in to a plate carrier that hangs out at the municipal range, who takes the opportunity to tell every one that comes by that their gun is somehow "wrong". Actually, he's a tactitool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
as was said above, if there is a purpose for what you have/do with your gun/accessories, fine.  if you get them becuase you think they will impress others or make them think your something your not - then its a problem.  If you wanna get a batman utility belt and wear it around, fine, do it for you, not to impress others

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#18]
all that money on accessories could be spent on Mosin Nagants, or ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tacticool is the 280 pound basement dweller stuffed in to a plate carrier that hangs out at the municipal range, who takes the opportunity to tell every one that comes by that their gun is somehow "wrong". Actually, he's a tactitool.

Tactitool! I love it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Tacticool is like lip synching or getting a handjob from a fat chick......its cool as long as nobody finds out. We called it buffy on my job. There was always that one guy, who bought his own 97 pocket vest carrier, not a simple one that held stuff where you would actually remember where it was.....no, this one had a buiilt in pistol holster, 80 Ar mag holders, none of which you could find when you needed them, a camel back hydration unit......just nonsensical stuff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]
there was four minutes of my life i'm never getting back
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
ATAS, baby..... it's you!

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

...I had been an avid COD4 player for quite a while. My favorite gun to use in the game was the M4 with ACOG....

...At first I just wanted an awesome rifle like I saw in COD4...

Priceless. I LOL'd

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys he's trying....Diet Coke in the ammo pouches
Make a good commercial
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This

Oh, and....

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Tacticool? Whatever.
Enjoy your youth doing something other than caring about what other people think, because eventually you'll figure out it was an entire waste of time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Just kidding!  Hell, we're all tacticool with a ton of shit we don't need.  WHO CARES!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
ATAS, baby..... it's you!

http://i35.tinypic.com/mtmqo7.jpg

If all these guns are real I'd love to hang out with these guys!  I think he'd be more of a dork if he actually had ammo in that pouch and tried running around like a wannabe Spetznaz trooper!

No, these fuckers look like they're out to have a fun day shooting.  Good for them!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Gay...................
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#31]
This is like the new N word.  If you call someone tacticool you are a fudd.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Nothing wrong with it.

I just find it silly how people buy $700 scopes, $200 rails, $20 trigger guards, $150 stocks, and the oddest of all, multi colored rail covers for a .22 rifle. Or AR/AK pistols... in states where you can get a SBR.

Seems that a lot of people are going overboard with it. I mean, why multi colored rail covers?

And people tacticool guns like the SKS and other guns that don't need to.

I see so many people with $200 rails on their carbine with nothing but a front grip on it. Of course, they have their multicolored rail panels to. Seems like they're just trying to get "the tacticool look".

But each to their own.

I would buy tactical rifles if I could, but I wouldn't go over the top. But a nice wood AK or M16A1 style AR-15 are very appealing to me.

Edit: Should include this from another thread I made.

Decided I would share some of my creations. This will be the future of modern infantry warfare:

Has two carry handles to conveniently carry around.

Has a scope, back up red dot sight. and two back up iron sights.

It sports a dual adjustable stock (Trade Marked) with rails on both sides.

It also has three pistol grips to reduce any felt recoil.

To balance it all out, you can use the bipod on the front.

The laser can actually cook its targets as well as mark them.

It is multicolored out of the box, so you can blend in to any environment.

Yes, it is pretty badass.

Another prototype I made. It is current being fielded in Futureweapons and Call of Duty: 6.5: Hyper Modern Warfare:

This is more intended as a Barret assault-sniper shotgun, which is why it has a shoulder thing that goes up.

The grenade launcher is quick detachable and ready to go with a red dot sight, adjustable stock, and its own front grip and flash light.

This beast has an optic that co-witnesses with a backup carry handle/iron sight.

Housed on top of it is a powerful sniper rifle scope, which uses an ACOG for additional magnification, which are both co-witnessed with a red dot sight so you can have the best of both worlds. It also has a backup iron sight which features its own back up iron sights.

It also can shoot 12GT- 12 Gauge Tactical. The difference between 12G is each that shell can attach to a rail, as seen in this picture.

The magazine is an extended drum magazine, capable of holding 137 rounds of .223, or 105 rounds of 9x19mm.

The pistol grip features new Extenuation Grip Reach (EGR, TMed as well), making it suitable for people will all kinds of arm lengths.

The shotgun is also fitted with a drum magazine.

To top it off, it features an ISKD (Integrated Silent killing Device, also TMed).

As for it being to heavy, just man up.

I currently sold the designs/prototypes to Vulcan Armament, who will be manufacturing these machines guns for the special forces such as Airborne Detachment Delta Ranger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top