Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 2:51:40 PM EDT
Gun hunters that is.

I hunt. I also support ownership of every gun, including machine guns and Airsoft.

Maybe most hunter's don't support ownership of black rifles, but some of us do. And some of us go hunting with them.

JMHO. /rant off

Carry on.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of hunters think people with AR15's are nutjobs.

The majority of them think AR's are 100% illegal and can't understand why anyone would need anything other than a bolt action 30/06, a Lever-action 30-30, and a 26" barreled shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You do know that 18-22" barreled shotguns are popular with turkey hunters?

CRC
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You do know that 18-22" barreled shotguns are popular with turkey hunters?

CRC

Not in my experience, most of them use 24" and 26" barrels.  I have never seen or heard of a turkey hunter using a bbl that short.  The only short barrels I have heard of are rifled slug barrels.

Every hunter that has ever seen one of my 18" bbl shotguns responds with "what the hell do you use that thing for... that barrel is too short to do anything".

I've been a hunter since I was old enough to walk (granted, I wasn't carrying a real gun then, but I WAS hunting).  I have a lot of experience with hunters and their opinions of evil rifles/shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
In that context, "hunter" is a sort of shorthand for a specific type: the guy who has no interest in (or opposition to) things like the AWB because it doesn't affect his Benelli trap gun or his Weatherby rifle; the guy who is completely oblivious to the profound political and social issues attached to firearms ownership. It's not a dig at hunters generally, or even an assumption that guys with hunting licenses are presumptively anti-EBR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My point is alot of people on this board talk about "hunter types" as being a generalization of a group of people who don't care about ARs.

Maybe they could just say fellow gun owner instead of hunter type?

CRC
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Because honestly if you asked every hunter out there if they supported ownership of AR15s AK47s Uzi's, FALs ect ect.. They would not in fact say yes(as a group). There are only a small  percentage of hunters who actually give a shit, because only a handfull of huntersthat would say yes  are part of the group of shooters who make up hunters.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
"Watcha gonna do with dat, shooot ooou-samma?"

"Dem guns shouldn't even be on our range."
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My point is alot of people on this board talk about "hunter types" as being a generalization of a group of people who don't care about ARs.

Maybe they could just say fellow gun owner instead of hunter type?

CRC

Its an accurate generalization of hunters. There are exceptions to the rule but they are just that, exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Every hunter owns a gun (or at least a bow). Therefore every hunter should be equally concerned about firearms as we are. Yet many must not really view guns as a way of life and a means of keeping it. Instead, they view it as a tool only. So long as the wrench in their toolbox is the right size for the job they do, they don't care about the rest.

Now we know that isn't true of all hunters. But I think if you look at the group of hunters who only own guns because they hunt, you won't find many people who support black rifles. But man, would they ever cry if the liberals came after their turkey shotgun or Remington 700 deer rifle!

On the other hand, people who buy guns for personal protection tend to be supportive of all firearms, regardless of type. Maybe it's because self-defense is of much greater urgency and seriousness than whether or not you drop that buck that's @ 300 yards out in a field. I dunno.

But like I said, some hunters are also self-defense shooters. Some self-defense shooters don't hunt. But the biggest problem area are those hunters who aren't interested or greatly concerned with using guns outside of any activity other than hunting.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
In the early 80's I would take a shorty car to the deer lease with me in central Texas.  Those germans and bohonks  really had a problem with that gun.  Nowdays the folks I hunt with don't say anything negative, some even want to shoot them.  We take ar's ak's m1's and m1a's to the lease.

There are many types of hunters, quite a few hunters have the one mentality.  This being one shotgun one deer rifle, one 22 rifle.  To have more than this is wasteful and showing weakness in that it takes you all kinds of guns to get your animals.  Most people have modified this thought process.

In my opinion the one rifle that has helped bridge the gap between your quote unquote assault rifle and the deer rifle is the sks.  Remember back when they were selling those cheap chinese sks for about 45 dollars at the gun show and had pallets of them?  Well I was too stupid to buy the creosote stocked gun but I eventually bought several russian sks.  And so did hundreds of hunters because it was a cheap gun that you could abuse and leave in the truck and the ammo was cheap.

All of sudden people were shooting these sks at hogs and deer because they had the damn thing handy when the hogs were out.  Hey man that thing looks like a assault weapon with the bayonet.  Even holds ten shells,  man its so fun to shoot I wish I could load more shells in it.  Some bought the crappy thirty round clip others bought ak's and ar's to scratch the itch.

Now I think most hunters are not scared or even bothered with assault weapons and generally support ownership.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had people try to tell me with a straight face that AR type rifles are completely illegal. Of course the next words out of their mouth are "did you know you can buy the bolt to make it full auto"  

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"hunters" people who post here are Black rifle owners that hunt. Go to most hunting shops/camps around here they will likely tell you them ar and aks and good for nothing. I can't tell you how many of these idiots we have embarrased on the firing line with our no good ar's.

I beleive in the 2nd and that everyone should own damn near anything they want so long as they are responsible and can afford it. MOST of the hunting crowd DOES NOT.

mike

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!  I've got friends who believe that. One in particular has even asked me why I "need" an SKS or AR15.  I try to enlighten, but to no avail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
<----classic example of the hunter you guys hate......except I own an AR.

I don't even want it anymore (someone check the EE, please!)...but I understand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I got into a heated arguement with a "hunter" spewing the old, "As long as they don't ban my old thuty-thuty...they can ban "those" assault rifles..."

Then I learned, "There are different ways of thinking. And SOME people will never "see the light"...

Yeah, no shit!

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I got into a heated arguement with a "hunter" spewing the old, "As long as they don't ban my old thuty-thuty...they can ban "those" assault rifles..."

Then I learned, "There are different ways of thinking. And SOME people will never "see the light"...

Yeah, no shit!

i simply dont talk to hunters like these.
if you finally do get them to shoot an AR, they'll denounce it as a mouse gun and further bash AW's.

no big deal.

my part of the state is filled with nothing but trapshooters and deer hunters...they all feel the same way about AW's dont like them.
i know in my area i'll be the one with the coolest stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
CRC: There are exceptions, but as a rule, most of the hunters & shotgunners think that the AWs should be ban.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I hunt, and suport all the evil rifles. I have even hunted cyote with my AR ( well tyred to, didnt get any). I guess I am the exception. I have very close friends and family that think I am crazy for wanting "M-16's" and "AK-47's" . Just last time I went out shooting I shot my baretta92fs with a 15 rnd. mag. and my uncle said I better hope a cop doesnt come by an see that. I didnt even try to explain, just said "Yeah, OK" and put in another 15 rounder. I v'e also put varmint hunters to shame with my AR. They said " semi auto? you cant shoot long range range with a semi auto! I bet you coudnt hit the side of barn at 50 yds." You should have seen the look on thier faces when I got better groups than they did @ 300 yds. The short shotguns are somewhat understandable. A 12 ga 3.5" magnum is pretty painfull with a 26" barell, I wouldnt even try it in an 18". But most of the people that hunt dont get what works for self defense, they just say "I got my 870 w/ 26 " barell, that will work just fine". I've just given up on trying to explain it to poeple that dont have an open mind.

ETA: Honestly, lately I've gotten more into the black rifles and away from the "traditional" hunting guns. But I will still buy the remingtons and wheatherbys for going out hunting. There are 3 such guns that I want right now, but I will buy them at a later time due to the AWB sunset. Right know my money is going to the "dark side".
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
most hunter's don't support ownership of black rifles,

CRC

you said it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I hunt with mine. Mainly during the doe seasons. (3 seasons for gun deer hunting. Doe (and antlerless) for 4 days, followed by the 12day regular season about 3 weeks later and then another antlerless 4 day season in dec). Got a few stares from people. No ones ever said anything about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I am a Hunter, as well as a AR owner and a holder of a CWL...

I have got the same remarks from other hunters, as well as non-hunters,

everything from "Those are ILLEGAL"

" Why do you need one of those for"

" When you decide to shoot up the place, let me know before hand, so I will know to stay home"

and on and on and on and on.....

They have been programed to believe all of the above statements, as well as many more.....

This is one area where the anti-gun crowd has succeded, now we have to work to DE-PROGRAM the sheep.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Just go to a range with your AR, and listen to them to see why so many of us generalize about hunters.  There's a range about a mile from my house, and due to hunters with nasty attitudes and a JBT range officer (that is a real LEO, and can and will arrest you), I haven't been in three years.  I'd rather just not shoot than have to listen to them talk about my AR-15.z
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Divide and conquer thats the antis strategy don't buy into. I hunt and own a shitload of semi autos and I know quite a few guys just like me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
i don't mean to ruffle any feathers but its mostly older guys i meet that that don't seem to like the "evil guns".  my dad has had the same bolt gun as long as i can remember and gives me hell when i get a new gun.   he says, " i've had the same gun all my life, what the hell do you need another gun for?"  although, he did shoot my ak the last time i was there!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
It doesnt even have to be a public range for me. I could be out in the middle of nowhere, on pulic land TARGET SHOTTINGmy ar and sar-1, and all of a sudden a van full of tree hugin hippies will drive up and walk out onto the target range and "protest". This actualy did happen to me once. They said they would call the cops on me for having illegal weapons if I didnt leave. I told them theye werent illegal, its public land, and if they didnt leave I would call the cops on them for drug posesion. They got up and left real quick like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I think that when they say HUNTER they mean SPORTSMEN.

MT

I will always be a hunter and never a sportsmen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
"A well regulated militia being nesecary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infrenged" 2nd Amendment

"...Every terrible impliment of the soilder is the birth right of an American..." Trench Coxe

If you look into the 2nd Amendment you see there is no right to "sporting" arms. Just read the Miller case and you can see if something does not have a "Militia" purpose then you have no right to own it.

And if it gets past the point of no return, confiscation of EBR's, and I am still alive I will do all that I can to see all "sporting" arms outlawed. All these "hunters and trapshooter" have no right to keep a gun for "sporting" purposes. If they are not or can not use it for "Militia" duty then they don't need it. And last time I checked the US Military doesn't use over unders, double barrels, any shotguns with barrels over 20in, and bolt guns in calibers other than .308 or .223

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
"Of course the next words out of their mouth are "did you know you can buy the bolt to make it full auto"

The one I usually hear, after they ask me if I converted mine to full auto yet, is "A guy I know that was in the Army told me all you have to do to convert it to full auto is file the firing pin."

I stay calm and don't talk to these people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The majority of them think AR's are 100% illegal and can't understand why anyone would need anything other than a bolt action 30/06, a Lever-action 30-30, and a 26" barreled shotgun.

Majority? Maybe where you hunt, bud. Most hunters I know here in GA support all gun rights. There are always a few old timers and clueless wannabes with bad attitudes. Don't paint all the hunters with your wide brush. Hunting was the reason I got into guns in the first place.

Save your passion for the non-gun owners and the fence-sitters. Pointing fingers and creating division in the ranks of gun owners is the anti's game. </rant>
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i don't mean to ruffle any feathers but its mostly older guys i meet that that don't seem to like the "evil guns".  my dad has had the same bolt gun as long as i can remember and gives me hell when i get a new gun.   he says, " i've had the same gun all my life, what the hell do you need another gun for?"  although, he did shoot my ak the last time i was there!

Boonie - I'm not offended , but I'm 52 Freekin yrs old - check my screen name
<------

It's not about AGE , it's about MINDSET

The "ANTI" Hunters are really SHEEP who have learned to use a Tool        
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
AKsRULE,  you're right, the people i'm thinking of are just stuck in 1950 i guess,  when rifles they carried as boys had wood stocks, not plastic and just can't get past it.  i hunt.  i like all kinds of guns.  i guess i'm not as set in my ways..............yet!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Because most of them don't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think that when they say HUNTER they mean SPORTSMEN.

MT

I will always be a hunter and never a sportsmen.

No, they mean hunter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Majority? Maybe where you hunt, bud. Most hunters I know here in GA support all gun rights. There are always a few old timers and clueless wannabes with bad attitudes. Don't paint all the hunters with your wide brush. Hunting was the reason I got into guns in the first place.

Save your passion for the non-gun owners and the fence-sitters. Pointing fingers and creating division in the ranks of gun owners is the anti's game. </rant>

I think everyone in the thread has said that it is the majority of the hunters they come in contact with that don't feel people should own AR15's and the like.

I am a hunter, have been since I could walk, and I have met a handful of hunters in my lifetime that didn't look at me funny when I had an AR in my hands.  I'm not painting anybody with a wide brush, I'm simply stating fact.  

I'm just like you, I got into hunting first, then guns.

I'm not creating division in the ranks... I will share my ammo and my rifle with anyone who wants to shoot it.  I will gladly educate anyone who is willing to learn about the firearms I choose to own.  The problem is that there are many gun-owners out there that feel we shouldn't be allowed to own AR-15's and make us out to be nutjobs for owning them.

Don't ever accuse me of playing the same games the anti's play... you would be sorely mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#40]
What most hunters don't realize is that a banning assault rifles would just be a "foot in the door" for banning all handguns, rifles and shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top