Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 4:15:44 PM EDT
I live across the street from a sports park.  I can look out my window most evenings and see people playing football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, or jogging.  My neighborhood in general is pretty nice, with homes selling for $300k for a 2/1, and up for bigger.  We do have ghetto to the west though.

The majority of the kiddie sports that they play are the neighborhood rich kids (MILF heaven incidentally).  Football, for whatever reason, is the black kids from the neighborhood to the west.  The "coaches" are all these HUGE black guys.  They have these kids out there in full pads and in the South Florida summer heat running all over the field and slamming into each other.  The coaches are SCREAMING at these kids right now.  It is unbelievable.  I never played peewee football, I was a soccer player.  But have coaches of 6-10 year old kids always been this fanatical?  I mean christ, what are these guys hoping to get out of this?  Are they a bunch of guys that peaked in high school as the star of the team and are now reliving this by insanely screaming at little kids?  I cannot imagine the parents of the neighborhood kids tolerating this sort of behavior.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The coaches are has-beens or never-were's. They attempt to relive glory by living vicariously through these young kids. It doesn't work. Yelling at a bunch of 6 year olds will yield shitty results.

I've gotten a kick in the past watching these pathetic adults break into full scale fist-o-cuffs over trivial arguments with parents, coaches or referee's. Adults are often a pathetic example for young kids who play sports.

Check 'em out Norm, sometimes the parents and coaches are more entertaining than the actual games.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I played football in Philly from 1st grade through Sophmore in HS.  I was fortunate and had great coaches the entire way.  The pee-wee league and later, the Catholic League, were extremely competitive.  But never, ever, did I witness an abusive coach.

I can only speculate that the $$$ payoff motivates some parents to turn these kids into the next <insert rich young athlete name here> in their sport.  It's sad.  I have a 2 year old baby boy and I'd love him to play football if it could mirror my experience.  I doubt it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top