Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2004 9:08:30 AM EDT
Started with Van Halens LIVE RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW CD.... cardboard! and I bough Iron Maidens DVD "ROCK IN RIO" Its a cardoard case with these stupid little foam buttons that are SUPPOSED to hold the discs in place but since they are foam, they peel apart and the discs fall out.

Now you have to go and BUY plastic cases to make things normal.

UGH??? can I get a "GROUP UGH" here?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
it's because of all the money they lost from napster. they had to cut back somewhere
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
This isn't exactly a new trend, I bought the Beastie Boys "Hello Nasty" back in 99 it came in a cardboard case, further back I bought the Nine Inch Nails cd "the downward spiral" around 93-94 and it came in a cardboard case, there have been others as well but these two stick out in my mind.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to jack the thread, but check these out, neato. I have one.

CD Cases

Danny
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I finally got fed up with all the room that DVD/CD cases took up and threw everything into those CD binders. Best thing I ever did... It creats so much more room for other shit to cluterr up that previously used space.

It's also nice when taking a trip and instead of picking a few movies out because too many get to be a hassle in the cases... I just take a whole binder.

$0.02
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess they're going the way of the Styrofoam McDonalds container.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My copy of HEAT… (all praise to the Official Team Arfcom Film) came in one of those el Cheapo boxes. .

Andy
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My copy of HEAT… (all praise to the Official Team Arfcom Film) came in one of those el Cheapo boxes. .

Andy

Ah!  What gun was Al using in Heat, again?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Andy

OH NO, I have HEAT in that kind of cardboard... those are decent compared to the ones Im talking about. But the one you are talking about are STILL crappy compared to plastic.

Maybe what I would like to see is a DVD system that holds up to 1000 DVD's and when you want to watch a certain movie you click on a video index on your TV screen and up comes that movie.

Of course now I say it... in a year someone will patent it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Plastics are made from petrolium, and the cost of producing them is going up like everything else. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#11]
That's why all those AOL cd rom's really are of value.

Toss the cd and recycle the case.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's why all those AOL cd rom's really are of value.

Toss the cd and recycle the case.

I've been doing that with the DVD cases.  Most CD's come without packaging these days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
If you hate those non-plastic cases so much, I've got a bunch of empties from when I put all my movies in a binder... want them?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Be vigilant if you use binders - my brother has all of hi dvds/cds in a binder - the data side is now "fogged" on all but a few of them, apparently the "scratch-proof" liners, aren't.

Sam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top