Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2004 9:38:58 AM EDT
Seriously!  I see them everywhere and I have no idea what they are for.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Must be a Co thing. Nothing like that here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
They're people who feel they need to advertise and show off that they have donated to charity.  They call it "raising awareness," but most of them just do it to be cool.  

Oh, and the charity is a cancer charity started by lance armstrong.  Good charity, though.  

www.laf.org/News_Events/news/laf_in_the_news.cfm
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I am just guessing, but I know there is a yellow band that is related to the Lance Arsmtrong foundation "Live Strong".
Seen a pic of sKerry here with one on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I just saw a post of mrs skerry wearing one on one of the other posts around here so it is not a CO thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate seeing those things as well - smacks of pandering and the "ooh, ooh, me too!" type of society I hate.

So what do I do?  I ask the wearer if they, too, are a survivor of testicular cancer - normally gets me a very confused look, and then I bust out laughing  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am just guessing, but I know there is a yellow band that is related to the Lance Arsmtrong foundation "Live Strong".

Beat me too it before I could correct you.....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Edwards and Kerry wear them to show how they are both charitable AND hip.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
jelly bracelets for self-absorbed adults...

And Lance Armstrong...lost his nuts, then his wife, and is reduced to shacking up with Sheryl Crow...the commie bitch.

Cancer sucks!

But I wanna hit his ex-wife...very hot and runs marathons...and never had a guy who could perform...unless he had a bike seat up his ass!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Edwards and Kerry wear them to show how they are both charitable AND hip.

Yeah, but they  we probably paid $150 for theirs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#10]
fuckin stupid trendy bullshit
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
$1 each  100% donation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me too it before I could correct you.....

SGatr15

I was quick.. Knew it as soon as I hit post!  thx sarge.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate seeing those things as well - smacks of pandering and the "ooh, ooh, me too!" type of society I hate.

So what do I do?  I ask the wearer if they, too, are a survivor of testicular cancer - normally gets me a very confused look, and then I bust out laughing  

Do you ask women this?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
hey this place is great!!!  i was wondering what those yellow bracklets were for when i saw kerry wearing one.

so they have something to do with some guy who has cancer?  reminds me of those stupid yellow ribbons people have on there car or rebal flags or big belt buckles.  it is just a trend i guess some people are all about trends it is a good thing i found this place then!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Of course!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#16]
That's like people who purposely leave their sleeve rolled up so everyone can see the bandage that shows that they donated blood.

I donate blood.  So what?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't it some kind of "Signal" for gay guys that your available?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hey this place is great!!!  i was wondering what those yellow bracklets were for when i saw kerry wearing one.

so they have something to do with some guy who has cancer?  reminds me of those stupid yellow ribbons people have on there car or rebal flags or big belt buckles.  it is just a trend i guess some people are all about trends it is a good thing i found this place then!!!

Not just some guy but the only 6 time Tour de France winner. Consecutive wins mind you. His story is pretty amazing. And the proceeds of the band sales go to his charity and they are selling a hellva lot more of the bands than thought they would. No I don't wear one but I know people that do and don't see what the big deal is. If Kerry wasn't wearing one of them none of you moaners would care.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Isn't it some kind of "Single" for gay guys that your available?

It did start out as a "cancer awareness" issue, but now its really, really gay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]
wear an American flag armband and a Tshirt that says "Yellow armbands are for yuppies"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

you aren't going to last long here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They're people who feel they need to advertise and show off that they have donated to charity.  

IMO, it doesn't count if you're using it to score points with others.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not just some guy but the only 6 time Tour de France winner. Consecutive wins mind you. His story is pretty amazing. And the proceeds of the band sales go to his charity and they are selling a hellva lot more of the bands than thought they would. No I don't wear one but I know people that do and don't see what the big deal is. If Kerry wasn't wearing one of them none of you moaners would care.

Not only that.. But the cancer was testicular that spread to lung and brain. I had the same Chemo Doc. Dr Nickels You rock!
But the bands were cool at first now there really gay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
fuckin stupid trendy bullshit

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apart from your crappy grasp of grammar and spelling, do you even know what yellow ribbons represent, you asshat?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I got one from a friend of mine who knew I was going thru cancer treatment. He told me that I deserve to wear one more than anyone he knew. I don't think it is a yuppie or gay thing. It's a sign of pride to those who had cancer and fought cancer. As a cancer survivor you guys need to learn a little about hardtimes and struggles with a deadly disease. I am a survivor and someone who has put up with more pain and suffering than most. Hell even some of my buddies in the Army admit that they couldn't handle what I have gone thru. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I got one from a friend of mine who knew I was going thru cancer treatment. He told me that I deserve to wear one more than anyone he knew. I don't think it is a yuppie or gay thing. It's a sign of pride to those who had cancer and fought cancer. As a cancer survivor you guys need to learn a little about hardtimes and struggles with a deadly disease. I am a survivor and someone who has put up with more pain and suffering than most. Hell even some of my buddies in the Army admit that they couldn't handle what I have gone thru. Thanks Arvin

Yes but sadly it HAS turned into a yuppie / liberal / hipster thing to do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I wear one.  In fact, I bought 100 of them for $100.  

I am a cancer survivor.

Despite being a prick in so many ways, Lance raises alot of cash for cancer, and oversees a very tight ship that actually directly grants money to research groups who write competetive grant proposals for them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
$1 each  100% donation.

$1 each, 28 cents to manufacture, so 72% donation.  They've sold 18,000,000 to date, and they're using the money to fight cancer and promote survival.  They just broke ground on a cancer treatment center here in DFW that will be using targeted radiation to zap tumors.

BTW, I met Lance's mom last night when she spoke at our church.  She lives in the next suburban town just south of mine where she raised Lance.  It was interesting, and she had some fun stories about raising him.  She was 17 and a single mom when she gave birth to him, but unlike most of the selfish asshats today she realized that she was responsible for that child and he came first.  She talked about how he got into cylcing after a long list of sports.  She talked about when he was diagnosed with cancer and how she dropped everything to take care of him.  She was very nice and very gracious with her time.  I bought 3 of the bracelets because I've lost that many friends and family to cancer.  I don't really like wearing them though.

Mrs. Kelly said that her 5 year old grandson calls those who wear the bracelets friends of her son, and thanked us all for supporting such a wonderful charity.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I cycle here out in WA. I donated a couple bucks and started wearing one for the hell of it. About two weeks later I learned my father as cancer - he wears it now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I beat cancer too, but as this yellow homo looking armband has become a symbol of all things left, I wouldnt be caught dead in one. Period.

As I went through my cancer ordeal, kicking and screaming "4 more years" all the way, the hottest nurse there gave me one. She was so beautiful, and yes, a Republican.  She was not an extrovet with it, but she clearly let me know why GW was right, and sKerry was wrong. And she liked guns. a BIG +1!

It hangs from the rear view mirror of my Jeep, but again, I wont wear one.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Edited my original post.  It pisses me off to see some here acting like ignorant jackasses.  I don't know if they are trying to be funny or if they are really ignorant jackasses.  I suspect a little of both.

If they had cancer touch their lives I'd be willing to bet they'd have a different outlook.  Just because someone is wearing a bracelet doesn't mean they had testicular cancer it simply means they are doing a small part to help fight the battle.  That should be evident to all but apparently it's lost on a few.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I wear one and so does my wife, she is dealing with breast cancer, I feel it is a way to show her that I am helping support her through this. She asked me to put it on so I do it for her, not so somebody will think I am cool.

As long as she likes me thats all I need.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Despite being a prick in so many ways, Lance raises alot of cash for cancer, and oversees a very tight ship that actually directly grants money to research groups who write competetive grant proposals for them.

When ya got no nutz what else are u going to do?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#36]
What's F-ed up is that people are buying/selling these things for big bucks and nothing other than the original 1$ goes to charity.  It's like people are saying "hey, look at me, i gave to the Lance Armstrong charity", and really, they just paid someone $30 just to pretend they're charitable.  What a bunch of wanabees out there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i have a yellow wristband.

live strong.

go lance!

Where do you get them?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When ya got no nutz what else are u going to do?

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

live strong.

go lance!

Where do you get them?

http://www.laf.org/  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
15,000,000 raised for cancer research and treatment.  Nuff said.  Let the people who think they are trendy buy a shitload of them.  More money for a great charity that donates the money to where it is needed.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

They're not the same thing.

Did you ever wonder why the bracelets say "live strong" and the ribbon magnets say "support our troops," or are you an asshat on purpose?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I wear one and so does my wife, she is dealing with breast cancer, I feel it is a way to show her that I am helping support her through this. She asked me to put it on so I do it for her, not so somebody will think I am cool.

As long as she likes me thats all I need.

Awwww.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes god forbid someone make a logical compairison.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

live strong.

go lance!

I have a yellow wristband, too.
I ride bikes.
I've beaten cancer twice.
Looks like I may have to beat it again.

Every yellow wristband helps fight cancer.

I think all of you people who are automatically against anything that doesn't help/affect you are full of shit.

But I support your right to voice that opinion and wish you all the best of health.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

live strong.

go lance!

Where do you get them?

www.laf.org
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Because we won't wear some stupid fucking wristband that soccer moms think they're saving the world with we're selfish? I fail to see the comparison, A+ for the effort though.

And good luck with your treatment....I lost a buddy from high school when I was in boot camp. He was only 19
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Because we won't wear some stupid fucking wristband that soccer moms think they're saving the world with we're selfish? I fail to see the comparison, A+ for the effort though

I don't have a problem if you don't want to wear it. Your call.

Just don't assume we're being gay, trendy, yuppie, or whatever until you know the facts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because we won't wear some stupid fucking wristband that soccer moms think they're saving the world with we're selfish? I fail to see the comparison, A+ for the effort though

I don't have a problem if you don't want to wear it. Your call.

Just don't assume we're being gay, trendy, yuppie, or whatever until you know the facts.

Personal experiences made me lean to that....I apologize though
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And good luck with your treatment...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#50]

I wear a livestrong bracelet. I have lost two family members to cancer this year. I work at -edited-  johnson city, tn 37604. You'll find me there every monday and every friday night. Feel free to come and make some smart-ass comment about that band or cancer & I will use you to make the grass grow you jaded cocksmokers.

r/s

Dan  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top