Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 2:02:20 PM EDT
Last week there were 2 officers were shot and killed in Mishawaka Indiana and today a state trooper was shot near Gary. WTF is wrong with these people?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In case some might have missed this, it is a dangerous job.  We deal with those people that society in general does not want to deal with.  They are not the kind and friendly, or even indifferent sort, that most people are used to dealing with on a daily basis.  We just can't look the other way and keep on stepping.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the holiday season.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Arby's declined to honor the gift certificates passed out at the gun "buyback."
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Invariably someone will post that it's all a plot by Hitlery, Swinestein and Chuckles to enact [b]AWB II, The Revenge[/b].  I prefer to think that, well, shit happens.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know, but it's a shame though. I just heard about the state trooper a few minutes ago. What a shame. Goes to show that LE is still a dangerous job, even on the most routine of traffic stops or arrests.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Add to the list the Racine Sheriff's Deputy shot serving a no knock last week here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's nothing unusual.  The old wives tale that "most cops will go through their career without ever drawing their gun" is complete BS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Holidays. Suicide by cop perhaps? I was about 1000 feet away from the one in Gary this morning.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Holidays have been mentioned, and they have a lot to do with it, but the fact is, it's a dangerous job.

Another thing we're seeing a lot of is suicide and suicide attempts. It's like someone throws a switch the day before Thanksgiving.  We used to have 1-2 suicide calls a night in sector,  it's jumped to 10-15 a day.

Add assualts and family violence, road rage and murder, and you find it's not really peaceful during the holidays.

Lots of overtime though.  [BD]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Add to the list the Racine Sheriff's Deputy shot serving a no knock last week here.
View Quote

And you keep on doing them.  A bunch of armor clad guys run in your house pointing an MP5 at you and one of them ends up getting shot by the homeowner.  The perp has to come out sometime.  Why can't you nab him then?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Because sometimes waiting is a luxury we don't have.  The purpose of a no knock is in and of itself to recover evidence that could be easily destroyed or disposed of, or when dealing with suspects that one can articulate to be particularly dangerous and violent.  Don't paint the picture of ma and pa at the dinner table in these cases.  That sir, is at best idiocy and at worste deliberately decieving the reader to espouse a political viewpoint.  Very democratic indeed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, there are plenty of cases where it [i]is[/i] Mom & Pop at the table or in bed, and one of them ends up dead of heart attack or GSW when a no-knock entry is effected on the wrong house.

I think the real question is this: if there is so little "evidence" (read: dope) involved that it can be flushed away in the time it would take for a person to answer the door, is there any way it's reasonable to incur the risks involved in kicking in doors and waving guns around to get it?  And in the other scenario - a dangerous felon - entering the house, with or without a knock increases the danger to all concerned. People have to come outside some time.

Do a google search for ("wrong house" police raid). You can probably find a better search phrase, but you'll get some interesting reading. One of the main purposes of knock & announce rule is to reduce violence in the execution of warrants. No-knock entries are vastly overused.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
There are many more dangerous professions than being a cop. Anybody have the stats?

I appreciate the risks they take, dealing with the dregs of society. Except in the case of needless hi speed pursuits (almost  killed by one) and bullshit traffic tickets.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I know for a fact that commercial fishing is the most dangerous profession.

It has a higher per capita risk of death than police work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like Flal1A's point.
But the gov'mint has no common sense.
Remember when they were trying to confiscate a 3 million dollar yacht in Fl. because a cabin boy had a roach? Any excuse to stomp on someone and show them who's boss.

In the name of the children...........
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are many more dangerous professions than being a cop. Anybody have the stats?
View Quote

Some jobs you have a high risk of being killed in an accident.  In some jobs people are actively trying to kill you, plus you have the risk of dying in a accident.  Not at all the same thing. Dying because you were clumsy, and fell off a skyscraper, is no ones fault but your own, unlike a liquor store clerk, taxi driver, or cop who is feloniously murdered.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: Some jobs you have a high risk of being killed in an accident. In some jobs people are actively trying to kill you, plus you have the risk of dying in a accident. Not at all the same thing.
Dying because you were clumsy, and fell off a skyscraper, is no ones fault but your own, unlike a liquor store clerk, taxi driver, or cop who is feloniously murdered.
View Quote

Somehow I think it's very much the same once your relatives start shoveling dirt in your face.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top