Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/29/2011 9:07:32 PM EDT
No not my hand. I found a few of these in some tools I acquired.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:08:18 PM EDT
Dikfur.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:08:55 PM EDT
Why do you have "gay night" on your whiteboard?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:09:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sel366:
Dikfur.

Might cradle yours just fine
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:10:06 PM EDT
Possum castrating fork.

Go wash your hands.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:10:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 101_proof:
Why do you have "gay night" on your whiteboard?

My kids wrote that list and I think it says "Dog night" thank you very much. Now if I only knew what that means
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 9:10:57 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
Damn ISP
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:11:55 PM EDT
Dousing rod for sure
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:12:18 PM EDT

henway rod
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:12:47 PM EDT
I was thinking something like this

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:13:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dtux:
Dousing rod for sure

Thats what I was thinking - either that, or its really a gnome wizards staff!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:14:17 PM EDT
You all suck
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:14:22 PM EDT
Pretty sure that's what my doctor uses to do STD tests.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:15:04 PM EDT
It's a medical device used for checking out the urethra. Try it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:16:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jrsmiles:

Sounding rod.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:17:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jrsmiles:

Ah yes, the rod-prod rod, should have known
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:17:59 PM EDT
Looks like a brazing rod somebody turned into a specialzed tool.

I will blow your mind by coming back to edit this thread to show you something just like that I made back when I was a welder.

But the board,,,,, ummm,,, it says Gay night.....?

I hope you stay off of ARFcom on Gay night.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:31:48 PM EDT
miniture shuffleboard stick?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:39:09 PM EDT
You should use a couple of them on "Oog night"

Then it will be an "OOOOoooog night!"
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 9:53:03 PM EDT by bennnn]
The one on the left is a piece of .25 keystock I used for anything that had at least one angled edge, the cut in it was small, but I could hold up to .75 or better as long as the edge was nice and sharp, it left me a lot of room to keep the tool bak and not have it get splattered too bad.

The one on the left Right is a twig from a tree behind the shop where we used to smoke and eat lunch, I whittled a million of those over the years because they never picked up any splatter at all, they didn't last too long but ZERO splatter. I just threw them away when the burned down too far, that was the last one in my toolbox when I decided to go back to college..........

When I worked in a shop where I had brazing rods, I made them out of that (they looked just like that one you have), or my favorite was using an everdour rod, which was the best.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:48:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bennnn:
The one on the left is a piece of .25 keystock I used for anything that had at least one angled edge, the cut in it was small, but I could hold up to .75 or better as long as the edge was nice and sharp, it left me a lot of room to keep the tool bak and not have it get splattered too bad.

The one on the left is a twig from a tree behind the shop where we used to smoke and eat lunch, I whittled a million of those over the years because they never picked up any splatter at all, they didn't last too long but ZERO splatter. I just threw them away when the burned down too far, that was the last one in my toolbox when I decided to go back to college..........

When I worked in a shop where I had brazing rods, I made them out of that (they looked just like that one you have), or my favorite was using an everdour rod, which was the best.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/bennnn-fromgunsites/those.jpg

Both are on the left side. That must mean you are tilted right.

Probably not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:50:59 PM EDT

The one on the left is a twig from a tree behind the shop where we used to smoke and eat lunch, I whittled a million of those over the years because they never picked up any splatter at all, they didn't last too long but ZERO splatter. I just threw them away when the burned down too far, that was the last one in my toolbox when I decided to go back to college..........

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/bennnn-fromgunsites/those.jpg

still not clear on what it was used for

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:54:17 PM EDT
Is it brass? i'm not sure how you would tell.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:56:27 PM EDT
Obviously it's a left handed smoke-shifter, if you'er right handed it's completely useless.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:59:23 PM EDT
Maybe it'll do something if you plug it in.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:00:14 PM EDT
That's a crutch for an underpants gnome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:02:32 PM EDT
Its the shoulder thing that goes up.

Really have no idea, what kind of tools was it mixed in with?

Like your screen name/avatar.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 10:12:56 PM EDT by bennnn]
You're everyday welding trigger guy won't know either. Anyone who does some serious precision work that involves holding small things together to get them started will.

It's almost hard to explain without having you standing there to show you, but here it goes,

I spent the last few years working in an R&D shop building fixtures for robotic welders, this involved hundreds of small peices of machined steel being welded to complicated fixtures that your avarage migrant worker could cram pieces of steel into, close the clamps and let the robot crank out a finished product.

That's a long story.

Short version; serious skilled fabricators that wipe their asses at work everyday laughing at shows like monster garage use things like that to hold small things against bigger things, so they can be fused together in some manner. Making one out of brass or bronze, (can't quite tell from the pic, yours might be shiny bronze) works good for low heat stuff, or if they had that material to spare, mig welding next to that would clog it up pretty quick, unless whatever it was for allowed the guy to hold the tool way way back from the heat.

Although it could be one of those things to hold up severed midget heads or whatever, but I'm guessing not.

Do any of the ones you have show any heat marks or signs of having something hot near them?

That one very well could be a piece of everdure. also called silicone bronze.

I bet those ends look burned off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:08:37 PM EDT

Yes, its a face holder.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:11:46 PM EDT

You're everyday welding trigger guy won't know either. Anyone who does some serious precision work that involves holding small things together to get them started will.

It's almost hard to explain without having you standing there to show you, but here it goes,

I spent the last few years working in an R&D shop building fixtures for robotic welders, this involved hundreds of small peices of machined steel being welded to complicated fixtures that your avarage migrant worker could cram pieces of steel into, close the clamps and let the robot crank out a finished product.

That's a long story.

Short version; serious skilled fabricators that wipe their asses at work everyday laughing at shows like monster garage use things like that to hold small things against bigger things, so they can be fused together in some manner. Making one out of brass or bronze, (can't quite tell from the pic, yours might be shiny bronze) works good for low heat stuff, or if they had that material to spare, mig welding next to that would clog it up pretty quick, unless whatever it was for allowed the guy to hold the tool way way back from the heat.

Although it could be one of those things to hold up severed midget heads or whatever, but I'm guessing not.

Do any of the ones you have show any heat marks or signs of having something hot near them?

That one very well could be a piece of everdure. also called silicone bronze.

I have 2 and they both look identical as far as measurements. One is cleaner than the other. I see what you are saying though.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 10:14:56 PM EDT by bennnn]
see my last edit all the way at the bottom.

Those that you have were probably the bosses caddilac models.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:17:51 PM EDT
Another possibility is it's a "pusher" a machinist might use to push cut off stuff away from the cutting action. A lot of crap builds up under and around a lathe chuck, a saw blade, some kinds of punches, milling machines, etc.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:19:00 PM EDT

see my last edit all the way at the bottom.

Those that you have were probably the bosses caddilac models.

Here are the two together along w/ a couple other items from the same tool box. Torch tip cleaners?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:22:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dumpster_Baby:
Another possibility is it's a "pusher" a machinist might use to push cut off stuff away from the cutting action. A lot of crap builds up under and around a lathe chuck, a saw blade, some kinds of punches, milling machines, etc.

Yes, this above also, Although those look burned a bit, could have been multi multi multi purpose.

Those torch tip cleaners are good for Plasma cutters, and various MIG tips, also MAP gas torches,

which sizes are the most used in those cleaner sets?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:25:21 PM EDT

Yes, this above also, Although those look burned a bit, could have been multi multi multi purpose.

Those torch tip cleaners are good for Plasma cutters, and various MIG tips, also MAP gas torches,

Between oxidation and rust its hard to tell really.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:25:59 PM EDT
If you have any small face cross peen hammers with that stuff, it was a sheet metal workers stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:26:45 PM EDT
I think we've all concluded those are home made custom tool gadgets.

Over the years I've had to make a few special tools that all of humanity guessing for a million years couldn't identify what they were used for.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 10:28:19 PM EDT by bennnn]
Originally Posted By Edisla:

Whichever ones are the most bent, lol won't be any rust on those. the material won't support it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:30:13 PM EDT

If you have any small face cross peen hammers with that stuff, it was a sheet metal workers stuff.

Hammers from the set.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:30:14 PM EDT
I think we've all concluded those are home made custom tool gadgets.

Over the years I've had to make a few special tools that all of humanity guessing for a million years couldn't identify what they were used for.

That ain't stuff I ever kept at home, but yeah, those were one of a kind. Probably someones personal twist on a well know and old idea that is used millions of times a day all over the world.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:31:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 10:32:30 PM EDT by bennnn]
Those are horseshoers tools.

I know because I have similar shit in my shop.

Those are from a guy who actually made custom shoes, and did regular shoeing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:32:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Edisla:

Whichever ones are the most bent, lol won't be any rust on those. the material won't support it.

Looks like some of the tiniest are bent the most.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:33:39 PM EDT
see above.

He used those to clean out the jets on a gas forge, the portable kind that lets you hot fit shoes off the back of a truck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:35:54 PM EDT

see above.

He used those to clean out the jets on a gas forge, the portable kind that lets you hot fit shoes off the back of a truck.

Makes sense since these were acquired up the hills a ways where that would be more common place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:37:36 PM EDT
IM sent on # 3,, lol

oh yeah, this isn't the EE....
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:51:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By retgarr:
That's a crutch for an underpants gnome.

what he said...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:56:16 PM EDT

Looks about right. So run with it.
Top Top