Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 1:09:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Fags, drug-addicted homeless people, art.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Gay bars?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Watch Dirty Harry and Bullitt again before you go. It is fun to recognize where scenes were filmed.

There are some interesting WWII coastal gun batteries on the other side of the Golden Gate which have amazing views of the ocean, bay and city.

Firearms-related attractions (seriously?) are non-existant unless the SFPD will tell you where all the guns they confiscate are melted down.

Also, watch your ass and never sit down on a toilet seat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
[Big Gay Al] Bath houses!!! [Big Gay Al]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Traffic jams and gays.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Seriously, I really enjoyed the aquarium.  

www.aquariumofthebay.com/
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
How much time will you have?

The usual tourist spots are the Golden Gate Bridge, Twin Peaks, Wharf, Pier 39, Chinatown, Lombard Street, etc.

See www.sftravel.com/sftodo2.html

If you can get out of SF, I recommend Muir Woods and the Marin Headlands. The Marin Headlands are especially cool. There are WWII gun emplacements and one of the most spectacular views in California.

You can find the Marin maps you need here.
www.nps.gov/goga/maps/

If you hit the headlands, make sure and take the Conzelman Road route north along the cliff. It is amazing.

Here's a pic I took of SF from Conzelman Road in the headlands in October 2004. It's overcast, but you get the picture.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
There are a few REALLY good microbreweries in the bay area. I lived out there on a 6 month consult a few years back and had a pretty good time. Just watch your ass. NPI
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Muir Woods, go across the GG bridge and watch for signs.  The exit will be the same as Rt 1, IIRC.  Nothing at all to do with firearms, but very cool if you don't have time to drive up the coast for the really large trees.  Be sure to have cash for the park entrance and the return on the bridge.

ETA - stupid dialup, I was too slow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't think there would be any firearms sights in the Kalifornia, but thought I would check.

I have no interest in the gay bars or lifestyle. If I drop anything I plan to kick it all the way back to Kansas before picking it up...

The aquarium sound interesting, never been to the ocean so I am looking forward to that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Fishermans Wharf

Golden Gate

Market street

China Town

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]
asides from those mentioned the local seals near the Alcatraz boat piers, Ano Nuevo for elephant seals if they are around this time
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#13]
They were going to have the USS Iowa docked there, but the city refused.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Aircraft carrier, USS Hornet. It's in Alameda, just across the Bay Bridge.

They're going to try to have another crack at getting Iowa to the city.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#16]
what about the sub at the warf?

exploritorium?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved Pier 39 when I lived in CA about 8 years ago, me and my dad would go there once a month and catch up on shit, and we once took a tour of Alcatraz, now that was cool!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Going to 'Frisco later this month and was wondering if there was anything interesting to see there.
I am going to Alcatraz, but thought there might be something else firearm related etc.  

You could probably go see an asian gang have a shoot out, or you can go see the spot where DiFi threw a gun into the bay. That's about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys might think I am kidding .....
a couple O years ago my buddy and I spent a week surfing the NoCal coast....
went bar hopping in Downtown:
1st night Stripper in hotel, no fee, just drinks and alot O ht3rd night Bar hop and a cute little gal from Oakland area drinks and ht5 night me and my buddy found 3 chicks , hotel liqior and a lot Ohatswe shoulda bought stock in Trojan that week heAlso go south to a place called MAVS (Half Moon Bay) look for the old Observatory.
HUGE SURF!!!
www.mavsurfer.com
WAY COOL
umm check the web site, and keep an eye on the surf, it may be just at teh start of the season
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Alcatraz does have a original Thompson M1928 sub-machine gun with a "plugged" barrel in a display case
also a display of prison made weapons.

FORT POINT is a Civil War era ft and national historc landmark / museum [free admission] located right at the base of the Golden Gate bridge, has lots of interesting displays and you can explore the fort.

Fort Point, SF

Angel Island is the "ELLIS ISLAND" of the west coast and also has the old Fort McDowell army barracks and some old Civil War era barracks to explore and old gun batteries and bunkers [costs around $10.00 for the ferry boat ride to access the island] it's a national state park

"SS Jeremiah O' Brien" is a national historic landmark

a WWII Liberty ship docked at Fisherman's Warf, SF

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
after witnessing the actions of Bay Area CHP, hopefully large scale public unrest.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks pretty good in your rearview mirror.

I worked for the City for 13 months. I was miserable, but well paid. I hate that place with every fiber in my being. Have a nice time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It looks pretty good in your rearview mirror.

And you didn't turn into a pillar of salt?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Going to 'Frisco later this month and was wondering if there was anything interesting to see there.
I am going to Alcatraz, but thought there might be something else firearm related etc.  

There is a night tour for Alcatraz once per day, if you have time and there is space available, I would highly recommend you do it.  The place is pretty spooky in the daytime with plenty of light, and at night you will see this prison in a whole new perspective  Remember that Halloween is just right around the corner.

BTW: If you take this tour take a mini-flash light in your pocket, because at the end of the tour, they have a lttle surprise for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I like how they never repaired the blast marks on the floor where the National Guard dropped in hand grenades after breaking through the roof.  Alcatraz was a really cool tour.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
USS Pampanito

Nike Missile Site SF-88
You can visit SF-88 during the week, Wednesday through Friday, 12:30 to 3:30. A guided walk begins from the Testing and Assembly Building every hour, with the last tour leaving at 3 p.m. On the guided walk you will be able to see the tools of the Cold War up close, and it includes an amazing trip down the missile elevator into the underground storage area.

www.petenelson.com/Photos/Events/Misc/Marin%20Headlands%2C%20Oct%202003/Nike%20Missile%2004.jpg

www.petenelson.com/Photos/Events/Misc/Marin%20Headlands%2C%20Oct%202003/Nike%20Missile%2008.jpg

This is the place I never got to see when I lived in the area.  If I was paid to be in the area I'd go see it... but on my dime, I'm NEVER going to PRK!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Drinks at the "Top of the Mark" at sunset. Absolutely breathtaking, providing the weather cooperates.

Top of the Mark
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#31]
If you can, try to take a drive down the coast (Hwy 1). Great scenery and little towns all along the way. Try to make it down south to Carmel. You never know you might even catch Eastwood at the Hog's Breath Inn if he still owns it.

SF is a lot of fun. You lucky dog.

ETA, I almost forgot. Try to make it to a place called Tommy's Joint. I forget where it is. Seems like it was somewhere on Market St. Also, a place called The Van's. I think that is in Belmont. Shit, now I really want to get over there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Hyde St. Pier Maritime Museum, Sailing schooner, steam schooner, scow schooner, SP  RR Ferry boat.  Balcluthat large steel sailing vessel.

Take the scenic drive, get to Twin peaks in the late afternoon.  Walk out on the the Golden Gate bridge from the south end.  Also a variety of gun emplacements around the parking lot.

Ft. Ross, Ft. Bragg and Mendocino, Muir Woods, Ano Nuevo State Park for the elephant seals, Lands End/USS San Francisco Memorial (cliffs and view of Golden Gate).  

If you can't find a variety of things to do to visit and be interested in  for a couple of days at least you have to be brain dead.  Seafood pasta special at Pompei's Grotto down by Hyde Street Pier.

Wine Country, RR Museum at Sacramento, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top