Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 11:55:40 PM EDT
I am a younger version of my dad. Ive always known that. I am him, just slightly less hateful. Im okay with that mostly, he has a lot of good qualities.

Except.

He can get pretty billigerant and racist at times without realizing it. Its not like he has room to be racist. We are native american, irish, italian, and spanish with the last name of a migrant farmworker and dark skin. Case in point:

This weekend we went to visit my grandpa. As we left mcdonalds serveral german Mennonite girls in flowery dresses walked in. His door is still open and he blurts out "look at all those goddamn nuns, a bushel basket full of 'em" i tell him they arent nuns "oh, those fucking mormons like james, huh?" (I lived in utah and his close friend james is mormon). I never could get it through to him that mormons, Mennonites, amish, and nuns were completely different things. We live in a rural area. Mennonites are far from rare. In his mind all of those 4 groups or people rode in horse drawn buggies, made their own clothes, had lavish temples for worship, and the men always worked on farms.

2 months ago his brother got divorced and came out as gay. When he told me, my response was "yeah im not really surprised, but its none of my business". And his response everytime i said that i hope he is happy or its none of my concern: "no, you dont understand, he's a gay bastard" "he's gayer than hell" or "he has gay sex with other homos".

I would probably get banned if i repeated some of the things he says about the migrant latino or african workers that are common here.

My wife says that i say similiar things sometimes and dont realize it. Im scared to be that guy.

Anyone else take after their parents terrible qualities?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The bald gene...  (and not answering the question correctly)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have my old man's selective hearing.  Drives my wife nuts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I am totally using "he is a gay bastard". Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Short fuse for ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, my dad is a horrific procrastinator. I am following in his footsteps quite nicely
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty much my dad,  but used to be a bit more objective.  As I get older that has started to go out the window and I'm becoming just as opinionated and belligerent as my dad on some things.  Fortunately we agree on most things,  but my dad and I have had our arguments in the past.

When we go on long trips together we feed off of each other's intensity in discussion that a lot of times by the time we get there my throat hurts just from practically shouting non stop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm stubborn as hell, which I got from Dad.

We could have an argument for months without speaking, over the dumbest things.

After I moved out we started getting along much better, since we weren't forced to be around each other so much.

On the upside I somehow got all of his mechanical aptitude, and have always been able to figure out how something works, why something isn't working, and how to fix it.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm annoyingly sarcastic almost all the time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty much my dad,  but used to be a bit more objective.  As I get older that has started to go out the window and I'm becoming just as opinionated and belligerent as my dad on some things.  Fortunately we agree on most things,  but my dad and I have had our arguments in the past.

When we go on long trips together we feed off of each other's intensity in discussion that a lot of times by the time we get there my throat hurts just from practically shouting non stop.
View Quote

We do that too. I work around dairy equipment so i talk loud anyway but sometimes my mom or wife will walk in and tell us to stop shouting at each other.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
"gay bastard"

"he has sex with other homos!!"

haha    your Dad sounds  hilarious,     I love being around guys like that from his generation  cause they dont care what they say

I guess I got all my Dads bad traits and none of his good traits unfortunately for me.   He can be a hand ful and has gotten grouchier in his older years but he is still  the gold standard for me

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"gay bastard"

"he has sex with other homos!!"

haha    your Dad sounds  hilarious,     I love being around guys like that from his generation  cause they dont care what they say

I guess I got all my Dads bad traits and none of his good traits unfortunately for me.   He can be a hand ful and has gotten grouchier in his older years but he is still  the gold standard for me

View Quote

He isnt even that old, hes 54 but he talks like an 80 year old white man right after slavery was outlawed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I am just like my dad. It makes my mom crazy sometimes, which I find funny.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate Liberals
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#15]
My parents are both horrible procrastinators, and my Mom is notoriously late.    I have a career where being late is unnacceptable, and I work alongside people who are highly intelligent and neither lazy, nor procrastinators.      Basically, the people who are those top 5% "winners" with no apparent bad habits.     (Obviously, some of them have their own issues, but they hide them just as well)

I have worked my whole life to not be that kind of late person, and I usually succeed.    

I'm mid 40's and fairly successful, despite my upbringing.  However, I have to remind my self Daily, to be on time.   It's exhausting, and it pisses me off, that it's so hard to change ones-self.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]
My back sounds like a fat guy stomping on bubble wrap when I climb out of bed. My shoulders are having issues. Rotator cuff issues are common in my family. My neck usually hurts. My knees pop several times a day. My wrists and elbows are shit. My fingers and hands are going to shit. Joint issues are very common in both families. I need reading glasses, but refuse to get them for now. I drink way too much. I smoke. They all drink and smoke. Strokes are real common in my family. I manage to find a way to slice myself at work almost daily, just like mom. My hearing is shit, and I get headaches seveal times a week. I'm covered in scars, just like dad. I probably won't live a long life.

I was addicted to chewing tobacco for years. Just like grandpa and his dad. The only thing that got me to quit was the dentist telling me I would lose teeth within two years if I didn't quit. I still feel the burn of want for chew in my gums two years later. I switched to smoking. I can't quite kick that habit. Just like the rest of my family.

The upside is that I am pretty durable. Cuts and broken bones heal fast. I have a decent tolerance for daily pain, except my neck and back. I rarely get sick. I haven't had any infections since I was a baby, despite plenty of deep cuts that were full of dirt. I heal fast. I can put on muscle faster than most of my friends. Grandpa's genetics shine through on that.  I have an awesome sense of direction, just like dad. I have a bullshit detector that is better than most of my friends. I have a good sense for business, just like most of the men on dads side of the family. I have a crazy look in my eyes that keeps people from bothering me too much. They don't know that look comes from a lack of patience for stupidity, more than anything. I never tell.

If family history is any evidence, I will be dead by 60. Most of the men that don't drink live to 80, then have a stroke and slowly fade away. The men that do drink have a stroke around 60, and are dead not long after. I'm a fourth generation alocoholic. I've been drinking since middle school. I'm fucked. I haven't even hit thirty years old  yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't recognize it when I was younger, but I am my father if he didn't get married and have kids.  It sucks that I didn't realize it until I was older.  Basically we have the same views, but I still just go drinking instead of being a family man.  Maybe that will change someday.

Eta: Worst quality is being shy.  I've tried to overcome this, but it still exist to an extent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Nitpicking and holding a grudge. My parents, when I'd mention a childhood friend, could always bring up some past offense, even though it'd happened in elementary school, even thirty years later.  I'd mention I'd hooked up with someone years after elementary school and I'd be reminded about how that kid might have ratted someone out to a teacher in 1973.   My dad, God rest his soul, would pick over a new vehicle I'd buy with a fine toothed comb, looking for some imperfection I might have missed.  Loved him immensely, and every day miss him, but that part of him was insanely annoying.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#19]
alcohol, I suppose.  I have it way under control compared to him though.  He spent a little to much time in the bar, but we had plenty of great hunting, fishing, and family camping trips throughout my childhood.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]
My dad had an extremely quick temper.... I do too. Good for violence of action and instantly switching gears from calm and collected to don't-mess-with-me, but not good for maintaining fresh friendships

Luckily, I've managed to turn myself into a pretty laid-back guy around other people.

It did get me interested in ethology when I realized that my ears shift back like they're trying to flatten like a cat's when I get pissed
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Severe alcoholic who cheats on everyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#22]
A worrier. My mind is always going on about something. Something to do, not enough time to do it, blah blah blah. My mind makes up the stupidest little shit to worry about even when there's nothing and I'm going crazy
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Anxiety, and issues with connective tissue (such as tendinitis).
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I have my Dad's inability to finish a project in a timely manner. I am 2 years into a bathroom remodel that wasn't ever really finished from the previous remod. Gun related,I am just now building a Bulgy AK74 kit that I bought from Ohio rapid fire back in....2007?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#26]
like my dad, i tend to get aggressively defensive, because i'm never entirely sure i'm not being challenged or mocked.  chip-on-shoulder disease, i guess.  used to be much worse, and have mellowed out a lot, but it's something i have to be mindful of.  doesn't help that i do many things worthy of mockery

like my mom, i tend to overanalyze everything, and live in my head instead of the real world.

like both of them, i'm basically a hermit.

that said, the good stuff i've gotten from them far outweighs the bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top