Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 6:00:47 AM EDT
I want to make a rod that will fit exactly down the barrel. What size does it need to be? Please do not say 223 because I am pretty sure that the lands of the rifling actually make it narrower than 223/224 so a 223 rod will not fit into the bore. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]

But you don't want a rod that tight.....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
.222? .221? trial and error?

no really, i'm not sure of the exact specs, but i'm sure someone here does.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

SGatr15

sgtar15,

I posted a similar ? over in this thread
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Bore = 0.219".
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

sgtar15,

Actually, now that I think about it, .224 can't be the answer.   .224 is the diameter of the bullet itself(althought it is called a .223), and it gets squished by the lands and grooves.

So  quijanos, the answer to your question is that you want to use the .224 diameter bullets.  Sierra HPBT 52 grain Match grade will give you great performance.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bore = 0.219".

you sure about that???
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It should be .219, hence the .219 Donaldson Wasp and the .218 Bee.  

I'm not a ballistics expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Your best and safest bet is to have the bore slugged to make sure. Not all barrels are exactly the same. Some are a bit tighter than others. Due to different rifling types it will vary as well.

To slug the bore you need a soft lead slug. It will be driven through the bore and then measured once it leaves the barrel. Most gunsmiths can do this and have the proper equipment.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

sgtar15,

Actually, now that I think about it, .224 can't be the answer.   .224 is the diameter of the bullet itself(althought it is called a .223), and it gets squished by the lands and grooves.

So  quijanos, the answer to your question is that you want to use the .224 diameter bullets.  Sierra HPBT 52 grain Match grade will give you great performance.

SGtar15

If .224 is going to increase performace that is exactly what I'm looking for.  Likewise I don't wanna just load 'crap' if I can help it.  Being relatively new to the re-loading end of it I get a little freaked when I see .223 cal on a rifle and someone saying they are using a .224 bullets (I know its only .001.....but on the other hand is that only really indicates that my wife is rubbing off on me.......If she can't get the check book to the cent exactly.........well you know what I mean.....). The tolerance of a .223 cal must be nominal (@ .001) is what it sounds like,.....please correct me if I'm wrong....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
[mindless thread hijack]  Sorry, No Intentional HiJack Meant [/mindless oops I hijacked this thread]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
.223 bullets are actually .224.  I have found that the bullet is the most important part of the reload.  More so than powder, primer or overall length.  I've had very good results with Sierra bullets and less than acceptable results with Winchester bulk bullets.  I suspect that quality control is much better on some and the center of gravity in the bullet is more consistent and centered.  I've also had good results with Speer and Hornady.  My best group ever was with Sierra 52 grain matchkings.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If .224 is going to increase performace that is exactly what I'm looking for.  Likewise I don't wanna just load 'crap' if I can help it.  Being relatively new to the re-loading end of it I get a little freaked when I see .223 cal on a rifle and someone saying they are using a .224 bullets (I know its only .001.....but on the other hand is that only really indicates that my wife is rubbing off on me.......If she can't get the check book to the cent exactly.........well you know what I mean.....). The tolerance of a .223 cal must be nominal (@ .001) is what it sounds like,.....please correct me if I'm wrong....

You must be new to reloading... the "caliber" is almost NEVER equal to the actual bullet diameter.  I'd bet you'd really freak if you had to reload some .38 special!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top