Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 12:22:10 AM EDT
The biggest mistake you can make that will come back to haunt you is talk to the media.  They are not there to help, they are not there to help you, it does not matter if you just saved a tanker full of nuns and cute kittens.  If you just came out of some pants shitting situation the worst thing you can do is talk to the media.  

Same thing in any situation.  Telling a reporter anything is not going to help you.  Why people still do it is beyond me.  They are not your friend, they do not care about you, they do not care about your cause, if they were  dumb enough to get themselves into the area then they are dumb enough to get themselves out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember in college getting into it in one of my media classes with some lady from some major newspaper. She was explaining how they had to show the pictures of the dead americans being dragged through the streets in somalia on the front page, because "the public has a right to know." I asked her what about the soldiers family, what about the fact that it was a dead body and little kids would see it on the front page, what about that fact that he died for his country we should show a little reverence. Hey why not just tell what happened instead of showing a huge picture... nope she didnt care.

I hate that lady.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
He's not a journalist, he's THE ENEMY!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely correct.  The media are the ENEMY!  Yes...they have the right and responsibility as the 4th Estate to report the news...but in the last few decades they have TOTALLY become the tools of the Left in America.

As a former Navy PAO (Collateral only!) I came to LOATHE reporters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
For as much of (an often deserved) bashing the media gets, would anyone believe the lady who was decked by CHiP's finest had there not been a news crew present with camera rolling?

How many would have dismissed her as a "crazy old broad" who was "wildly exaggerating" what happened?

Since there are more than a few folks who seem to have no problem with (lawful) civilians being disarmed, what other protection do they have than the media?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
EVERY time I have been in the paper for something, they have misspelled my name (a simple name), made huge mistakes with captions, or misquoted.

EVERY TIME.  

NEVER talk to the media.  They are there to create the news to be what they want it to be.  You are just a prop for them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
EVERY time I have been in the paper for something, they have misspelled my name (a simple name), made huge mistakes with captions, or misquoted.

EVERY TIME.  

NEVER talk to the media.  They are there to create the news to be what they want it to be.  You are just a prop for them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
While the vast majority of the media are philosophically corrupt, there are a few good ones.  John Stossel comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I go to an event that in the past has received questionable if not bad press. For the past several years security and attendees at this event have been told to not talk to the media and direct them to the director of the event who will give them an interview of the blandest sorts (he's good! a very awesome Phd degree guy). The media has a way of twisting everything so its just on the virge of outright lies. Trust me, they aren't looking to find the good in things. Ever.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
All media left/right/middle have their agenda.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
IVe told this incident with me and the media a few times before and itsw always worth sharing. About 12 years ago when I bought my SKS. NBC news (Dateline) was in the gunstore the day i was picking up the rifle. the news guy asks me if he can interview me for a story he is doing. WHAT A SALESMAN.. he was pumping me up to be on TV... "Baiting"

So I was being asked a whole bunch of questions and I was answering them... real easy stuff. when all was said and done they walked away and I was stoked!! IM GONNA BE ON TV!!!

The gun Store manager said... "No you wont" I asked him what makes him think that?

He said "Everything you said about the SKS is positive and you handled yourself as a responsible gun owner... they are NBC... the closest you are gonna get on TV is the editing room floor."

Well, 6 months later they air the story. They showed the gun store and the SKS rifles on the racks with the 99.00 low price tags on them and SURE ENOUGH! NO DRFRIGE!! You can see what an anti gun piece this was and the gun store manager was 100% correct. That was my eye opening wake up call that the media is bias and a bunch of liars.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
mmmmm...  distaster...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

EVERY TIME.  

Sounds liken my experience. Incorrect quotes, incorrect facts about the story and as usual, it is all done to effect some agenda. If anybody else did their job as bad as the media they wouldn't last a week.

The media is a carbuncle on the ass of the world.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All media left/right/middle have their agenda.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not about reporting the news or the facts, it's about creating a STORY.  Whoever has the best story to tell gets the best ratings.  Ratings mean $$$.  It seem like most mainstream Americans do not have the capacity to take facts and information and develop there own conclusions.  No, it's the media's responsibility to provide those conclusions (which includes both subjective and objective inputs).

The Sheeple don't want to think for themselves.  The media simply provides what the Sheeple are demanding.  How unfortunate.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I discovered that the old media was the enemy when Gulf War 1 happened. Hell, CNN was Saddamm's 2nd spy network from what little that I saw.

I had my cable my turned off a few months ago, so I watch no TV...except what I have on DVD & VHS. They don't deserve one second of my attention.

I kinda miss the History Channel, though.

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top