Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 4:15:56 AM EDT
I always supposed they were the same thing but apparently they are not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]
different levels of care
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience, level of care and amount of independence allowed.

Assisted living keeps an eye on you and helps with minor daily tasks, much freedom.

Nursing home has nurses to attend to medical needs as well as daily living tasks, little freedom.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My best friend's father is in an assisted living facility. Very expensive and allegedly very nice. Her rich sister pays for it.

Her father is 90 years old and completely lost in Alzheimers.  The staff there refuses to take care of his hygiene. He is totally gone and can't do it himself. He's been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the last two weeks due to a urinary tract infection.  

I really can't understand this and neither does my friend. It's due to a lack of hygiene and they say, tough shit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My best friend's father is in an assisted living facility. Very expensive and allegedly very nice. Her rich sister pays for it.

Her father is 90 years old and completely lost in Alzheimers.  The staff there refuses to take care of his hygiene. He is totally gone and can't do it himself. He's been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the last two weeks due to a urinary tract infection.  

I really can't understand this and neither does my friend. It's due to a lack of hygiene and they say, tough shit.
View Quote

If he can't handle his hygiene, he should probably be in a nursing home.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I told her and she thinks so as well. She needs to convince her sister though, and her sister is very wealthy but one of the stupidest people I've ever met.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! I went through this twice with both my mother and father. Assisted living facilities are not designed for this level of care. Unfortunately this only type that can are for him is a nursing home. There are even some that specialize in Alzheimers care. Nursing homes have 2 types of care: skilled nursing care (mainly rehab where the patient is expected to recover) and long term care (LTC). LTC is what you require. (buckle your seatbelt for $$$$$$. Look at the "daily rate". Several years ago I was paying $160 a day. My father was in LTC for 18 months. My mother for a year. Both have since passed (hospice brought in to LTC facility).
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Assisted living facility = they'll clean up the bathroom you use in your room

Nursing home = they'll clean you up after you go to the bathroom on yourself
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Two different levels of care, both designed to keep you alive as long as possible to milk as much money as humanly possible out of you and your estate.

Assisted living are often attached to nursing homes, but assisted living typically means you can still function on your own, but maybe you get confused easily so you need someone to give your meds at the right times, and dosage, or you can no longer cook or be trusted with hot things. Typical cost here is 2K-10k a month.  

Nursing homes are for when you can no longer perform advanced functions of life, but you can still eat, and poop and stuff, so where most cultures you would be taken out and shot, or allowed to die once you can no longer feed yourself, here they try to get as much money as they can from you and your estate. Typically cost here very from 6k-20K a month
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The smell

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#11]
about $1500 a month
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
about $1500 a month
View Quote

Is that correct? She told me her sister is paying more than $2,000 / month at the assisted living center. So a "decent" nursing home would be closer to $4,000?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
about $1500 a month
View Quote

Lol.  Try double that.  In TX, much less more expensive parts of the US.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is that correct? She told me her sister is paying more than $2,000 / month at the assisted living center. So a "decent" nursing home would be closer to $4,000?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

about $1500 a month

Oh yeah.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

handjobs
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Two different levels of care, both designed to keep you alive as long as possible to milk as much money as humanly possible out of you and your estate.

Assisted living are often attached to nursing homes, but assisted living typically means you can still function on your own, but maybe you get confused easily so you need someone to give your meds at the right times, and dosage, or you can no longer cook or be trusted with hot things. Typical cost here is 2K-10k a month.  

Nursing homes are for when you can no longer perform advanced functions of life, but you can still eat, and poop and stuff, so where most cultures you would be taken out and shot, or allowed to die once you can no longer feed yourself, here they try to get as much money as they can from you and your estate. Typically cost here very from 6k-20K a month
View Quote

Holy shit, I hope I can still function enough to go on one last hunting trip before that happens........
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#17]
My great grandfather lived to 106 in his own house.

Once he got real old he personally hired a full time live-in aid.  Much cheaper than a home and better care.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Already answered. You don't want to end up in either one though.

Source: a few years on an ambulance.

View Quote

I'll second that motion.

Source: Spending the last four years of my life in a low-budget facility that's a cross between assisted living and nursing home.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#19]
About $750  to $4,000. dollars a month.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who wipes your ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:48:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Once he got real old he personally hired a full time live-in aid.  Much cheaper than a home and better care.
View Quote

As in actually living in the same home? That is ideal if you can find someone who you can trust.

For a short time before we found an assisted living facility for my grandmother, she had 24/7 nursing care in her home because her mind was so bad, and there is no way anyone short of a very wealthy person could afford that kind of care for any length of time. If I remember correctly, it was something close to $75/hr
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  My experience in Houston was $4000-ish per month for assisted.  It was clean and secure and very nice buildings and grounds. It included meals and housekeeping in a 600 sq ft apartment. They offered other services for a fee including alsheimers care and physical therapy, which was way more expensive.

My conclusion after 6 months was that it was cheaper at home with a semi-live-in housekeeper to make meals and clean.  She was happier in her home too.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
different levels of care
View Quote

More like different levels of neglect.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#25]
My dad is in assisted living in Wilmington, NC.  $4,000 per month
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As in actually living in the same home? That is ideal if you can find someone who you can trust.

For a short time before we found an assisted living facility for my grandmother, she had 24/7 nursing care in her home because her mind was so bad, and there is no way anyone short of a very wealthy person could afford that kind of care for any length of time. If I remember correctly, it was something close to $75/hr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are businesses where you can hire 24/7 live in care for someone.  Mostly the people that did 24/7 that my mom encountered were Fillipinos/Fillipinas.  

My mom used to work as a home health aid for a few people, one was in a retirement village with an assisted living wing.  I also volunteered/interned in a couple nursing homes and the same retirement facility. Pretty much everyone here is spot on.  The assisted living places range from rooms to small apartments, and they have people that can help with daily living, meds, etc but most of the people are independent.  Nursing home, not so much, and more levels of care.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#27]
An Assisted Living Facility won't help a patient up off of the floor if they fall.

At least that's what they told me at Forest Ridge when dad fell. They said he had to be moved to "nursing care".

Just try to take the car keys away from an 80 year old retired, old school, "brown shirt", small town peckerwood cop.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top