Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2005 1:36:54 PM EDT
My entire county must have a hard-on for hiring some of the fattest, most out of shape police officers. One of them must be close to 300lbs...I am not kidding. Never have I ever seen so many out of shape people in one profession.

You would think LEO's would want to be in top physical condition...

I should go into law enforcement. I would be better as an intimidating looking cop than an EMT.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Some towns have physical requirements.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some towns have physical requirements.

And some don't.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
95 percent of doing nothing ------------------------------

by 5 percent of --------- OMG , I have to make a decision that will save lives...maybe my own.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
This might explain it:

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a few here in D-Town that are fuck'n ripped!  I sat next to one at the range once and I could count his heartrate by watching the pulsating vein on his temple.  Guy had to be like 5% bodyfat...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My entire county must have a hard-on for hiring some of the fattest, most out of shape police officers. One of them must be close to 300lbs...I am not kidding. Never have I ever seen so many out of shape people in one profession.

I should go into law enforcement. I would be better as an intimidating looking cop than an EMT.

I have noticed that too.  My friends and I use to joke about this one cop that would go to all of our sports events, my friend says,  "I bet if you slapped that cop he couldn't do anything about it."

To tell you the truth he couldn't.  You could out run him anytime.

ETA:  We were not serious about slapping him.  We were just talking.  I respect cops, but some I think should be in better shape.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh, they're human and made up from the general population?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
There are many issues at play.

1.  courts have often rules that fitness standards are discriminatory to women and the elderly.

2. LE work does not lend itself to healthy on duty meals.  Grab & go fast food is the typical luch.

3. shift work, overtime, training, and court time dont leave alot of time for hitting the gym.

4. higher divorse rates amoung LE than the general population.  single parents have less time to workout.

5. Higher incidents of heart disease and lower back injury among cops than the general population. leaving some incapable of working out.

Those issues can, and should be worked around, but those are the reasons you see so many fat cops.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have noticed that too.  My friends and I use to joke about this one cop that would go to all of our sports events, my friend says,  "I bet if you slapped that cop he couldn't do anything about it."

To tell you the truth he couldn't.  You could out run him anytime.

ETA:  We were not serious.  We were just talking.  I respect cops, but some I think should be in better shape.

Well ---------- live your life  for ten - twenty years
doing three shifts every few months
eating crap food as fast as you can  --------- before the next call.
Going home starving because you haven't had a chance to eat -- eat  -- and then go to sleep.

When I see a fat cop --------  I see an old guy who has BTDT ----
and it would behoove you not to fuck with him ........... JMO
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's a few here in D-Town that are fuck'n ripped!  I sat next to one at the range once and I could count his heartrate by watching the pulsating vein on his temple.  Guy had to be like 5% bodyfat...

EPOCH

so in other words he has way high blood pressure and is going to have an heart attack or aneurysm
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

1.  courts have often rules that fitness standards are discriminatory to women and the elderly.

2. LE work does not lend itself to healthy on duty meals.  Grab & go fast food is the typical luch.

3. shift work, overtime, training, and court time dont leave alot of time for hitting the gym.

4. higher divorse rates amoung LE than the general population.  single parents have less time to workout.

5. Higher incidents of heart disease and lower back injury among cops than the general population. leaving some incapable of working out.

Those issues can, and should be worked around, but those are the reasons you see so many fat cops.  

Well said...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
<------- Takes the skin off chicken.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This might explain it:

img97.exs.cx/img97/7931/5y5b43yl.jpg

O man.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
behoove

haha, I haven't heard that word used since basic training.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Shit, I see a lot of fat cops that are not old salty dogs. Gimme a break. We are talking mid/late 20's to late 30's. These guys just spend too much time on their ass + the aforementioned too much junk food. Step away from the big mac and eat a damn salad serpico
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Grab & go fast food is the typical luch.

Exactly.  You can't go to a real restaurant since you'll might have to leave at any moment.

lower back injury

I heard a lot of cops complain about health problems due to sitting in a car 6+ hours a day, and I didn't believe it until I did it.  I sat in an armored car for about four hours a day, and my lower back hurt a lot until I changed jobs.  Just sitting doing nothing besides driving around is harder on you than you think.

My nephew married a woman that's about 250# that recently got hired by the county police.  I wouldn't have given her a job that required climbing stairs much less one as a cop  I don't understand that one at all.z
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Because nobody is calling them when they "draw down"

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather deal with a fat one representing the general public than one that thinks he's in Force Recon that views the public as the battlefield.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
you could say the same thing about a soldier but they manage to stay in shape.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd rather deal with a fat one representing the general public than one that thinks he's in Force Recon that views the public as the battlefield.

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Isn't it the other way around? Lower back injuries and heart disease are often caused by obesity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There's more truth to that than most realize.

Its getting more common to hear about those type cops juicin' more than that old fart you see in the infomercial at 3 AM.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]

"Step away from the powdered donuts, sir.
They're mine."

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]
What is the deal with out-of-shape LE?  

What do you mean? Round is a shape!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I was never a "soldier" but as a Marine I was paid to exercise, on duty.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Some are big by genetics and you still don't want to piss off because they can hand your ass to ya.  We hired a part timer at my PD who is over the 250 scale and not that tall.  He still chased down a perp that was half his size.  Being big doesn't always mean out of shape, RnR
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#28]
You would be very surprised to see how many have asthma too.  This can be life threatening in a foot persuit.  I have seen it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was never a "soldier" but as a Marine I was paid to exercise, on duty.

not trying to start a war here but if a individual cannot put in 1 hr workout time 4 or 5 days a week they are just not trying. Instead of sitting at home drinking beer and watching TV cut a hour from that and run or lift.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I would tend to agree with you, except for the fact that the exact same you posted above applies to EMS as well, and you do not see obesity at anywhere near the same rates in EMS as you do LE, at least not around here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]

My friends and I use to joke about this one cop that would go to all of our sports events, my friend says, "I bet if you slapped that cop he couldn't do anything about it."

Yeah, and I bet if you slapped him he would kick your butt 6 ways from sunday. Don't let size fool you. I know some overweight cops that are TOUGH! They may not be able to run, but you dern well better be able to get away from them (out of arms reach) !

A lot of it has to do with stress. The way he copes with stress may be eating. i coped by NOT eating when i was a rookie and lost about 30 pounds in a month or two. I was at close to my correct weight when I started to lose wieght. I was a SKELETON!

GR
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Believe it or not, LEOs are in better shape than they were about 35 years ago.

True, some are overweight these days, but there used to be a lot more real porkers in the early 60s.

FWIW
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#33]
What is a "salad serpico", some sort of hippie food?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Ha Ha you might be able to outrun him,but hows your speed compared to say a 40 S&W?

Don't judge the book by looking at the cover(ever seen butter bean)?

Just treat everybody nice and keep your hands to yourself and don't bite anybody!!

Words to live by from pre-school!!!

Many a big brown bear looked harmless spinning around grinding on his haunch,pawing at the air hoplessly before turnning  on you and ripping your ass to threads!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey now.

Round is a shape, right? They get bigger around the middle so they can carry more stuff on the belt.

I was 41, been out of the Army for 18 years and I haven't even ran to the car in that 18 years. I passed my phys agility test easy. Of course, I'm 5'9" and weigh about 160 or so. One guy was 51 and tried out with me for the PD. He passed as well. Guys who were 21 were dropping like flies out there.

Oh, and I used to do 10 miles per day, every day in my unit at a 6 minute per mile pace. Being infantry and going to Ranger school will do that to you. We killed an MP SGM who transfered to our battalion in one week. He died of a heart attack while on one of our little jogs.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#36]

not trying to start a war here but if a individual cannot put in 1 hr workout time 4 or 5 days a week they are just not trying. Instead of sitting at home drinking beer and watching TV cut a hour from that and run or lift.
- Hmm, I dont sit at home drinking beer and watching TV and dont have time to do 1 hr workouts 5 times a week. I do manage to work out 3 times a week, but this is dependent upon my having to working over or having some type of training come up.

I work a standard 41.15/week shift.  In addition tot hat, I work atleast 17 hours of offduty work a week in order topay for outside agency training.  These times are not factoring in court, warrant services I might get called in for, classes that I don't get educational leave for, etc etc. As I said, that 5 times a week out becomes a bit problematic at times.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#37]

You mean like this? Disgusting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Spot on. I'll add:

1. LE agencies usually have a minimum physical standard for hiring. That standard is watered down by "validation" that has to show that the standards are job-specific for that agency, only, and cannot discriminate against anyone.
2. The courts say that we have to keep officers in decent shape, or we can be sued for negligent retention and negligent supervision, but:
-The courts will hand us our a** if we discipline or fire anyone for not being in good enough physical condition.
-The courts will not allow us to retroactively apply physical standards to employees already working for the agency, although we can still be penalized for out-of-shape employees, if their actions or inactions because of their condition endanger the public.
-We CAN apply ongoing standards to new hires, and make them maintain standards, but, if we discipline or fire them because of that, and we have a two-tiered system where employees with more tenure are exempt from physical standards, we can get handed our a** in court.

It is a big Catch-22 of the highest order. What seems to work best is voluntary incentives for officers to get into and stay in shape. And don't discount all of the "big boys;" I look fat (though not that fat), but I can run and am in better shape than alot of those snot-nosed kids, and couple of my guys look like like the sterotypical "corn fed" cop, but can run down skinny dirtbags with the best of them. Don't pre-judge.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
There are alot of BIG cops in Pike County. One guy i shit you not, is about 40 years old and his fat hangs over his gun.

HIS FAT HANGS OVER HIS GUN.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#40]
who runs?  call a dog.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
There are alot of BIG cops in Pike County. One guy i shit you not, is about 40 years old and his fat hangs over his gun.

HIS FAT HANGS OVER HIS GUN.

I guess big is how they call you will?   You sure you don't have an issue?  And 40 is not old!

I would guess that your waist size is 34 right?  And that you are in way better shape than any cop in your town!     And the only reason you are not a cop is because  WHY?

Bob
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What is a "salad serpico", some sort of hippie food?

Dude if you don't know what Serpico refers to you need to get some culture.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:52:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I have plenty of culture.  Answer the question.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Serpico was a New York police officer depicted in a 70's film by Al Pacino. Came to fame by taking down a police corruption ring .

So,basically what the gentleman was saying is -"Eat a salad Mr. Police Officer."
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#46]
They don't need to go to the Gym...they just need to stay fit.

If you are a cop there is NO ezcuse to be severely out of shape.  And if a cop ever gets to the point where he can not pass a basic yearly physical then he should be fired.

No excuses.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the explanation.  I guess that I'm just too uncouth to see what a cop noted for  anti-corruption has to do with fitness though.

I agree cops should stay fit.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
They don't need to go to the Gym...they just need to stay fit.

If you are a cop there is NO ezcuse to be severely out of shape.  And if a cop ever gets to the point where he can not pass a basic yearly physical then he should be fired.

No excuses.

SGatr15

+1
They are supposed to be held to a higher standard in all aspects including their gut factor.
You wanna be held to higher standards.....well then start having some.  Something along the lines of self respect and self esteem.  Often a metal badge "shields" them from this.......
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm surprised no one has brought up the adrenalin factor.

During any sort of pursuit , car or on foot. Our adrenal glands kicks in. Once it's over we still have that adrenlin in our system. It breaks down into sugar. So now we're sitting in our car the rest of the night with high amounts of sugar in our body which turns into fat if not burned off. Not too mention we typically have poor diets do to  our  shifts.  I will say there a lot of LEOs who do not care to exercise. That's a shame but it's reality. It doesn't make them bad LEOs. They may not be the greatest on foot but, it's nice to have one holding a suspect down while you cuff him.

J
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has brought up the adrenalin factor.

During any sort of pursuit , car or on foot. Our adrenal glands kicks in. Once it's over we still have that adrenlin in our system. It breaks down into sugar. So now we're sitting in our car the rest of the night with high amounts of sugar in our body which turns into fat if not burned off.

J

That is a crappy excuse. How many pursuits are there? When I was in a large Dept., there was this black female Captain. We all called her big booty. Her ass was wider than her shoulders and her legs scrubbed when she walked. This dept had semi annual weigh ins. If you were overwieght, they sent you to get a fat test. You could do the pinch or float test. She was a floater.LOL

Anyway, she had this note from a Doctor that allowed her to be fat and not be fired for being a soup sandwich.

She was the day shift supervisor. One day we had inspection. I carried a Glock .40 at the time. When she walked by, she said I had too much oil on it when she took it from my hand. She did not know anything about the weapon and the slide closed on her finger. That was some funny shit.

She also was critiqueing someone's shoes polish and we all looked at her shoes and it looked like she had stomped around in some mud.

She was off limits due to a lawsuit she was involved in about discrimination. Affirmative action at its best.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top