Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2007 8:32:06 PM EDT
I haven't had a drink in 7 months and I've lost 80lbs, but I get this hankering for a cigarete and a bottle of wine, or champain. I've heard alcohol can actually be healthy. What is the general consensus? How many calories are in wine anyways?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:34:39 AM EDT
As much as I hated to admit it, I always put on strength and muscle mass when I didn't restrict my alcohol intake.

I made some HUGE gains working legs and shoulders on Sundays, after getting sloshed on Saturday nights.

I don't know if it's just the additional calories, or if there are other factors present.

Your Mileage May Definitely Vary

Nevermind. I missed the diet part. If you feel the need to drink, stick to vodka/rum and diet soda, but it ain't a great weight loss method.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:42:52 AM EDT
No problems and probably benefits from moderate consumption - 1-2 drinks/day. Adverse consequences from consuming greater amounts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:00:28 AM EDT
Some pro's still workout while drunk. Arnold and his crew were wasted or high alot of the time. I dont do it but it sure sounds fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:15:32 AM EDT
I'm 50, active, and in pretty good shape for my age.

The older I got, the less alcohol seemed to fit in my life. Coupla beers, and I was looking for a place to sleep, and I didn't feel very well.

Matter of fact, I drank a beer yesterday evening - first one in at least a year.

I don't think I'll be drinking another one anytime soon.

It has been pointed out to me that I'm too much a control freak and wound too tight to drink alcohol. HAHA!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:12:05 PM EDT
I seemed to loose weight when I drank daily. I definatly didn't gain weight, but maybe it was because I had an upset stomach and diarea all the time when I was drinking?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:34:30 AM EDT

I am 53 and have cut my alcohol considerably. Only 3 or 4 glasses of wine a week. For me that is a good amount, usually red wine. Depending on your age and chemistry, well, don't be afraid to experiment. Its all part of a formula and what you want to achieve.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:54:00 AM EDT
An important thing to consider about alcohol is that your body will metabolize alcohol ahead of anything else. While that post-workout beer may taste awesome, it will impede your post-workout refueling.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:18:23 PM EDT
I'd have a beer or two later in the day after a workout.

Nothing too special about it, its just calories.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:25:39 AM EDT
They say a drink a day helps lower cholesterol. Whether is a shot of spirits, a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.
Top Top