Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:04:26 PM EDT
I've only posted once before but i've been lurking here the past few months. I've been considering joining the coast guard but I want more information than a recruiter will provide. I need information that isn't sugar coated.

If I enlist, do I have my choice of jobs or is that selected for me?

How long after Boot before i get job training?

What happens in that downtime?

I've been looking at Gunner's Mate http://www.gocoastguard.com/Rates/GMrate.htm

Can anyone that has this job tell me more specifics on it?

Would I be able to stay in Florida?

Fixed title.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean one of those plastic covers they put over your coat at the dry cleaners?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you mean one of those plastic covers they put over your coat at the dry cleaners?

I think the coat guard is the fat woman who usually checks in your coat at the little coat check room.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure,I guess they guard the coats.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No silly, the person that guards them while they are in the coat check.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Go to your nearest CG station and ask the guys that work there.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the coat guard like  

Like the pant guard, only different.

I kill me!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time I left my coat with the coat guard it got ripped off..never again!

HH
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
lol, I knew this would be good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to be at least six feet tall so you can walk home if you boat sinks.

Their boats have wheels on them.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to kick a guy when he's having a bad spelling day but isn't it "homie" the clown?

"Hommie" rhymes with "commie".  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not to kick a guy when he's having a bad spelling day but isn't it "homie" the clown?

"Hommie" rhymes with "commie".  

Might as well.  Hippies, commies, clowns, terrorists; all the same just different uniforms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I leave mine in the car, i hate people going through my pockets.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've only posted once before but i've been lurking here the past few months. I've been considering joining the coast guard but I want more information than a recruiter will provide. I need information that isn't sugar coated.

If I enlist, do I have my choice of jobs or is that selected for me?
You have your choice of jobs assuming you have the ASVAB score to qualify, the USCG will not make you take a rating you don't want.  

How long after Boot before i get job training?
Some ratings are critical and you can go to an "A" school straight from boot camp. Others have waiting lists (6 months to 2 years) and you will have to be a non-rate(E-2/E-3) on a ship or at a land unit before being able to go to school. Not sure if they still let people strike(On the job training) some of the less technical ratings anymore or not.

What happens in that downtime?
As a non-rate you will stand watches, clean, maintain equipment (paint), etc. Depend what kind of unit you go to out of boot if you don't go straight to "A" school. At a station for instance you would get boat crew qualified as well and go out on patrols and cases maybe.

I've been looking at Gunner's Mate http://www.gocoastguard.com/Rates/GMrate.htm

Can anyone that has this job tell me more specifics on it?
Just ask the recruiter if you can get a guaranteed "A" school out of boot if you want to be a GM. If they don't, you will have to get on the school list after you have served the minimum number of months required as a non-rate at your first duty assignment.

Would I be able to stay in Florida?
I wouldn't count on it but it isn't impossible. All three billets I had were in Florida, so it is possible but not likely unless you have special circumstances. Sometimes they allow you to get a guaranteed district for your first non-rated assignment instead of a guaranteed "A" school. I doubt they are offering to many incentives right now though, last I heard they had a pretty good backlog of people just waiting to go to bootcamp.

Good Luck and ask me any questions you want, I'll try to misinform to the best of my ability

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Coast Guard isn't so bad if your boat ever goes down you can wade ashore
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not to kick a guy when he's having a bad spelling day but isn't it "homie" the clown? Hommie"  

yeah, from aol days where i was forced to spell it that way
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Coast Guard isn't so bad if your boat ever goes down you can wade ashore

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I considered joining outa high school, Ive been a boater and shooter all my life, I decided it wasnt for me when I was told that there was no guarentee where I would be stationed.  With my luck I would get stuck in Alaska or somewhere else cold.  If you join please promise to be an excellent boater above everything else.  Nothing burns my azz more to see a Coastie who cant dock a boat for chit...its quite common.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]
i have often though i would enjoy the coast guard. think about it...almost every duty station is somewhere you wouldnt mind going on vacation. even if you go to kodiak its an experience not many have. in the post 9/11 world their mission is better then ever. best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Why would you want to be a water Nazi? Work hard your whole life, become successful and financially well-off, buy a nice boat because you can, and have some pimple-assed 22 y.o. enlisted fuck decide to board your vessel at will because he can.

Join a REAL branch of the military.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I ferquently see the young guys who do the coastal patrols, completely beating the shit out of the boats, and having a blast doing it. I only get boarded for saftey inspections when I have a chick in a bikini with me, go figure.  Looks like a a great job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
In before the bathtub picture.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You have to be over 6 feet tall...so you can walk back to shore if yout boat gets sunk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why would you want to be a water Nazi? Work hard your whole life, become successful and financially well-off, buy a nice boat because you can, and have some pimple-assed 22 y.o. enlisted fuck decide to board your vessel at will because he can.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#28]
It's like the Navy with more butt sex.

So I'm told.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently you don't own a nice boat....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The contract i'm signing says Army, but what you said was a fucking disgrace.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Except for the bashing in fun.  The other idiots nocking the Coast Gaurd,  you forget they do other things too.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get off your high horse, junior. You're not the only one to serve...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

No highhorse here, its called respect.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I was active duty Army for four years and have been active duty Coast Guard for three years now. The quality of life in the Coast Guard is better and more family oriented. As an E4, I have my own BAH - meaning housing allowance, separate rations (food allowance), and other benefits which are generally denied to lower enlisted in the Army, Marine Corp, and Navy. I respect all branches and the vital roles that most play. With that said, USCG is much better if you ever want to do civilian law enforcement as we do not fall under Posse Commitatus. With the continued expansion of Homeland Security, opportunities are endless here. Its what you make of it though. If you want to kill people, join the Marines. If you want to paint rocks, dig foxholes, and pull gate guard - join the Army (that's what I remember in my experience). If you want to see the world but risk being stuck on a giant gray ship for up to 6 months - join the Navy. If you like your air conditioning and have an aversion to water, join the Air Force. If you want to persue civilian law enforcement in a field which ALLOWS you to enforce civilian LE laws, join the Coast Guard. The other branches only allow you to enforce MARTIAL law.

It all depends - what do you want to do with your life? No branch of the military is perfect.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No highhorse here, its called respect.

Sure it is, kid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have been in the Navy to hate the USCG that much
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nahh.  We don't hate the "knee deep Navy"

but

[marching cadence] "We're not the Coast Guard
                                  They don't even work hard" [/marching cadence]

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I used to think things like that until I actually saw what these guys did for real and in person.

It didn't take long to clear up that line of thought.

J. Reno
USN (Ret)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I just had a 42 foot Fountain and crusied the intercoastal waterway of eastern N.C. Got boarded three times in one day between Wilmington and Morehead City. No weed (never done it), no booze (don't drink), just me and the wife. Carried an 870 pump. When the coasties hailed us they asked if I had any firearms on board. I was a good citizen and said, "well yes I do, don't you?"

Handcuffed while they did a search. Stopped 90 minutes later by a second zodiac and yet again four hours later by a third zodiac.They do good work but some of the LE type coasties are pricks....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#41]
OF course you will get the job you want, work easy hours, training in the career of your choice, life on the beach, Girls in evry port, Happy hour every night!! Shoot any gun you want!!

SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE!

Thats why they are called "recruiters"- Blaze your own trail!!

PROUD FATHER OF A NUKE!

GO NAVY1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.

A fucking intellectual.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Water Nazi? Hmm - last I checked Boarding Officers were entrusted with Federal Law Enforcement power to include arrests. Maybe you have an AUTHORITY issue. Because you attack legitimate authority given by the US Federal Code of Regulations.

Pimple-assed 22 y.o enlisted fuck??...I believe you mean "Federal Boarding Officer" doing a routine initial safety inspection boarding to check the seaworthyness of your vessel.

I would bet money you hate all cops too. I mean - you didn't DESERVE that speeding ticket or DUI now did you?

I deal with rude scumbags on the water all the time. Your attack on the USCG is synonymous with antiwar protestors. Don't shit on Americans protecting their country. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I just had a 42 foot Fountain and crusied the intercoastal waterway of eastern N.C. Got boarded three times in one day between Wilmington and Morehead City. No weed (never done it), no booze (don't drink), just me and the wife. Carried an 870 pump. When the coasties hailed us they asked if I had any firearms on board. I was a good citizen and said, "well yes I do, don't you?"

Handcuffed while they did a search. Stopped 90 minutes later by a second zodiac and yet again four hours later by a third zodiac.They do good work but some of the LE type coasties are pricks....

Be careful.  I hear it can be contagious.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.

A fucking intellectual.

Technically, yes. (BA- History/ MA candidate).

Which doesn't change the fact that you are, apparently, an ass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water Nazi? Hmm - last I checked Boarding Officers were entrusted with Federal Law Enforcement power to include arrests. Maybe you have an AUTHORITY issue. Because you attack legitimate authority given by the US Federal Code of Regulations.

Pimple-assed 22 y.o enlisted fuck??...I believe you mean "Federal Boarding Officer" doing a routine initial safety inspection boarding to check the seaworthyness of your vessel.

I would bet money you hate all cops too. I mean - you didn't DESERVE that speeding ticket or DUI now did you?

I deal with rude scumbags on the water all the time. Your attack on the USCG is synonymous with antiwar protestors. Don't shit on Americans protecting their country. Thanks.

Uhh, WHO has the authority issue?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.

A fucking intellectual.

Yeah but I'm an ass with a big boat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.

A fucking intellectual.

Yes, but their's is bigger.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up.

A fucking intellectual.

Yes, but their's is bigger.

www.bloomington.in.us/~bcvet/Photos/coast%20guard%20cutter.jpg

It's still a boat...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#50]
nkrj
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top