Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2012 7:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2012 7:37:46 PM EDT by Aimless]
I keep noticing a lot of people selling "preban" lowers and other stuff. What is the big deal about something being preban, is it made to different specs or something?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:35:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Matt1978:
I keep noticing a lot of people selling "preban" lowers and other stuff. What is the big deal about something being preban, is it made to different specs or something?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:43:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:

Originally Posted By GunNoobie:
give us NY guys a break and start selling all your pre-ban lowers! dilute the market a bit to drive down the price

Yea right. I did sell a guy in NY 2 preban lowers and 30 mags for normal used free state prices. 2 days latter they were on the market for inflated "preban" prices, and I sure he got it by ripping his fellow NYers off.
Fool me once shame on you, try it twice f$#C youz.

This too .

If I am going to break down a perfectly good working rifle I taught my kids to shoot with it would have to be as a favor to a friend. Yah I can get other lowers like it but they are not that one. Lots of folks think along these lines.

That and not everyone with a preban knows that they have a preban.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:24:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Since bushmaster can't confirm status on their serial numbers anymore, who can?

(shudder)––-ATF?....<><....:)

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:38:29 PM EDT
It's a "big deal" if you live in places like MA, and NY.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:40:16 PM EDT
Nope. All depends on where you live. Some states didn't let go of the AWB. Anywhere else, a preban lower is just an old lower. In these states, preban lowers go for alot of money just like they did near the end of the ban. Oh, same for magazines.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:41:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:41:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Matt1978:

AWB did some stupid things and a few states still enforce ban items.
Saying preban simply means no stupid tricks on this rifle.....it's preban. It's normal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:28:05 PM EDT
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:10:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SS109:
Just curious. And when was the ban? I have some H&K rifles from the 70's and 80's.

AWB was from 1994 to 2004.

...d/a
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2012 5:18:41 PM EDT by iNeXile556]

give us NY guys a break and start selling all your pre-ban lowers! dilute the market a bit to drive down the price

Yea right. I did sell a guy in NY 2 preban lowers and 30 mags for normal used free state prices. 2 days latter they were on the market for inflated "preban" prices, and I sure he got it by ripping his fellow NYers off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:18:20 PM EDT
Since bushmaster can't confirm status on their serial numbers anymore, who can?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:11:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:15:18 AM EDT

So how much do SP-1's go for in NY state? How about a early 1970's 9mm Colt?
Just curious. And when was the ban? I have some H&K rifles from the 70's and 80's.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:28:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SS109:

So how much do SP-1's go for in NY state? How about a early 1970's 9mm Colt?

Lets put it this way....a pre-ban lower in MA goes for, plus or minus, 600 dollars, just for the lower. Its really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, much like anything else in life.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:29:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:
It's a "big deal" if you live in places like MA, and NY.

...and craptastic CT.

Although we are NFA friendly and no ban on hi-cap mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:03:31 AM EDT
I'm from mass and its crazy to see a lower from the early 90's selling for $1,000 stripped and its a total piece of shit. The AWB need to be modenized and have some common sense applied to it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:15:50 AM EDT
$1000!!!! Wow.

That makes me appreciate living in Florida a lot more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:45:58 PM EDT
Or SC where an AR is just another rifle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:44:32 PM EDT
I see pre-ban stuff occasionally for sale at a premium locally (at gunshows) here in Indiana. Usually the owner is a grumpy FFL that is trying to capitalize on the ignorance of the masses.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:46:30 PM EDT
I've got 2 prebans here in CT and sadly, the pricetag is worth having the telestock. If I moved my ass to PA, I wouldn't have to deal with this shit...but my job is pretty solid right now so prebans are where it' AT.

BTW, fuck CT and the North East states for keeping the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:35:30 PM EDT
The other answers didn't quite grab the jist of the issue, so here it is.

There was a federal assault weapons ban from, what, 1994 to 2004 or so. When it was enacted, it had a sunset provision stating that the law would expire after 10 years (thus, 2004) unless it was renewed. It wasn't, so the federal AWB is gone.

But New York State (and MA and CA, I think, and maybe a few others) had state AWB's as well, usually mirroring the federal ban and being enacted around the same time, so 1994.

But... our state AWB's didn't have the 10 year sunset provision. Or, if they did, the state governments did in fact renew them.

So it's not precisely correct that our states are still enforcing the federal ban. They never did. They've been enforcing their state bans, and their state bans haven't expired, and never will unless repealed or overturned.

NY has a relatively lenient AWB, it basically prevents you from having a bayonet lug and a telescoping stock and a detachable muzzle device. But a pinned stock is sort-of more-or-less okay, and everyone can get by without detachable muzzle devices or bayo lugs. Still, it's a pain in the ass.

And CA's is stricter. There, you not only have our limitations but one extra one, so you have to choose between a pistol grip or a detachable box magazine. That's a real ball-breaker, and it's why you see those weird CA-legal stocks designed to extend from the pistol grip rather than from the buffer tube, or why you see "bullet button" magazine releases or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:37:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:

This is what makes the prices high and keeps people from selling them for reasonable prices. I don't blame you one bit after that bullshit.
Top Top