Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT

Belt sander, paint stripper?  

This orbital sander is taking to long and paint thinner did nothing.  I guess I need to take a trip to Lowes...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
'Aircraft Remover' brand stripper.Used to come in a square blue gallon metal can with a jet on it.The stuff looks like yellow snot.

VERY CAUSTIC!!! Keep a garden hose close and wear glasses. Use a putty knife to scrape the paint off after you brush it on. The stuff works FAST!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I start with a little mood music. Than a few drinks and BAM!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
'Aircraft Remover' brand stripper.Used to come in a square blue gallon metal can with a jet on it.The stuff looks like yellow snot.

VERY CAUSTIC!!! Keep a garden hose close and wear glasses. Use a putty knife to scrape the paint off after you brush it on. The stuff works FAST!!

And then how long is it going to take to dry out and then re-seal, etc.  

We found that buying a new door was cheaper in both the long and short runs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a new door save time, money, and your sanity
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
a good paint stripper is the easiest way......just stay away from those "enviromentally friendly" stippers, they are wothless and won't do anything but piss you off......you'll be just wasting money buying that junk........look for the ones that have have a bunch of warning labels on it, about it causing cancer etc....and the skull and cross bones on it. they are the only ones that work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Get it drunk and give it a back rub.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
5F5
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Wave a bunch of ones in front of it.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Soft music and $1 bills.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no easy way to do it. Goto your local paint store and get some paint stripper. Plastic sheeting and drop cloths underneath the door and have at it. It won't strip everything off, so if you are trying to get it to bare wood forget it and buy a new door. I used to strip furniture sometimes and it is a big hassle.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What type of door, the hollow kind or the full wood type?

I got lazy and took some to a person with a dip tank, cost 40 bucks a pop but was cheaper then taking over 5 hours to do right.  This was awhile ago, and costs vary in different areas.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What type of door, the hollow kind or the full wood type?

I got lazy and took some to a person with a dip tank, cost 40 bucks a pop but was cheaper then taking over 5 hours to do right.  This was awhile ago, and costs vary in different areas.

Full wood.  An exterior door.  I'd rather strip it than pay $100 for a new one, you know?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Take off her glasses.....oops I thought you said "dork"
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I can fit three or four doors in my bathroom. A couple bags of taco bell, tight fitting towels around the door,  and I'll have em down to the wood in an hour tops.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Believe it or not, when I was going through the Air Force's Helo Crew Chief tech school, at beautiful Fort Eustis, Va, all 60 of us got locked down for a 4 day weekend and we were told to strip the doors, repaint the hallway, and pull up the carpet, and were left with minimal tools.  Talk about a bunch of disgruntled guys.  Anyways, being good crew chiefs, we improvised and adapted.  Everyone had an steam iron and white towel we used for our uniforms, and somehow we got the idea to put the iron on full steam and then just lay it on the door for a few minutes.  Then we would move the iron and scrape that 5 inch area of paint off the door.   So picture a bunch of 17-22 year old guys just bitchin and moaning about not being able to chase ass for the long weekend while they were steaming paint off of about 35 old doors and listening to southern rock.  ahh the memories.  good thing I retrained out of maintenance and into the dark side.  I know this doesnt help but i just had to share
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top