Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 2:57:23 PM EDT
What's the best optic for the AR15--to mount on a fixed carry handle?  I'm looking for a low-powered sight...preferably a dot sight, but I'm open to suggestions.  

Note:  I am not interested in the $800-$900 AGOC sights, so don't mention 'em cause I can't afford 'em.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go with a Aimpoint.  They are well proven but no magnification.  You mentioned the Acogs at $800 to $900, but you can get a compact Acog 2X20 for $510, or the full size TA01 for $580.  You didn't mention your purpose for the scope(short/long range).  I would probably go witht he aimpoint if you want something cheap but good.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Scopes:
Cheap: Leapers 4x scopes $29
Better:  Colt 4x scope $200

Dots: (requires a weaver handle mount)
Cheap: Simmons Blazer 42mm $45
Better: ATN/OKO $150 to $225
Best: Aimpoint Comp / Trijicon Reflex with forward handle mount ~$350 to $500
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, they is out.

Donnie at Sableco.net has a sweet package deal for a ML2, ARMS mount, etc...

[url]www.sableco.net[/url]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a guy over on the Gunboards.com For Sale forum page with Aimpoint comps for $200 or so........check out www.gunboards.com/trader/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=1&TID=7574&P=1&SID=#ID1
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
OOPS!,.....$265....sorry
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
[i]FWIW (only a little OT)... [/i]

(USMC - M4 MWS ASSESSMENT INTERIM REPORT / Day Optic Description and Characteristics int report - March 01 to 1 July (01).

"DISCUSSION:
The Battalion is evaluating 2 basic types of day optic, magnified and non-magnified. Enclosure (3) lists the description and characteristic of each optic currently in use. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

a. Magnified Optic

Advantages are ease of target identification and ability to employ a designated marksman. The disadvantages are; tunnel vision, fogging, additional training requirement, Slower target identification and engagement and the sight gets hung on gear.

b. Non-Magnified Optic

Advantages are the ability to shoot with both eyes open and faster target identification and engagement. Disadvantage is fogging.

RECOMMENDATION: Field 1 magnified optic per Rifle Squad and a non-magnified optic to all other infantrymen. The characteristics of the magnified optic must be...[s]...The Trijicon ACOG scope has the majority of these characteristics.

The characteristics of the non-magnified optic must be:

-simple to operate

-thumb screw windage and elevation adjustment knobs

-elevation graduated scale for quick reference

-allow shooter to shoot with both eyes open"...

View Quote

If you've got a minute to read it, it's an interesting report.

[url]http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/2dmardiv/32/Military%20Information/m4_mws_assessment_interim_report.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top