Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 10:44:39 AM EDT
I know we have a lot of pilots on the board, and a lot of you are more in tune with today's contracts, seniority lists and overall "career expectations"

Of the big 4, which is best?  

Leave out Fedex/UPS, because they are just too hard of a nut to crack, unless you have connections.

Also, leave out the little ones.  They may well turn out to be a good bet, but are too speculative.  
Kit Darby told me they never survive.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience but I would think SouthWest would be a good one on job security just because they are usually cheapest.

Lots of Americans like cheap these days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
American United and Delta will all have a lot of retirements coming up. United and American need to work through their mergers, but you'd be at the bottom of everyone once it's all settled.

Apply to all and go with the one that hires you. That's about as a reliable way to pick an airline as any.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The one your family holds the majority of stock in.

ETA nvm I see you're a pilot ... Buy plane and start own airline
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
American United and Delta will all have a lot of retirements coming up. United and American need to work through their mergers, but you'd be at the bottom of everyone once it's all settled.

Apply to all and go with the one that hires you. That's about as a reliable way to pick an airline as any.
View Quote

I have to agree.  Delta and United have decent contracts, but if American/US Airways called first, I'd most likely say yes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, what position are you looking for? I am assuming pilot, but it could be another.

Patriot, who are you flying the 777 for. I may have asked you that before, but can't remember.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
USAF?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you know how to check to see if the front wheels are going to fall off?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I say you should have to pay your dies at a regional first. Sorry, the military doesn't count for paying dues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I say you should have to pay your dies at a regional first. Sorry, the military doesn't count for paying dues.
View Quote

I just talked to a new hire class just out of Indoc and starting ground school. 4 of 10 of these newhires came straight from C-17's and 1 came from F-18's. They will be at the controls of 747-400's and 747-8's at the completion of initial training. So I am not so sure how the traditional rules from previous generations relate to hiring pilots now. Hiring practices at the regionals are not what they used to be either, or so I am told.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have to agree.  Delta and United have decent contracts, but if American/US Airways called first, I'd most likely say yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME......AMERICAN/USAIR???

USAir is STILL, to this DATE, TWO DIFFERENT AIRLINES......US Air and America West......When did THAT MERGER take place???

Now, you're gonna toss AMERICAN INTO THAT MIX???

GOOD FUCKING LUCK!!!

United/Continental?  They are going BACKWARDS on their merger.  CAL had been hiring while UAL was furloughing.....

Southwest?  Still chewing on the AirTran "MERGER".  Gonna be YEARS there before things start to move.....

Delta?  Announced hiring in November.  300 to start with.  Will be last chance for any remaining furlough returners.  Then, flow thru's from Compass/etc.  Then off the street.
Has the merger well behind them, with a contract, and amendable in 2015.

So, given ALL OF THAT.....

What airline do you go with????

THE ONE THAT HIRES YOU FIRST!!!!!!

Then, once you have that job secured, you can think about other options.

Just because someone is on top of the heap today, doesn't mean they'll be there in 10 or 20 years.

Yes, there are HUGE retirements coming, but, how many of those are going to be filled at the airline, and how many  will be outsourced???

Good Luck.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Alaska
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
United will be the best for front of the pack senority and strength. The captain I spoke with said they have hired as old as 55.
They want quality over long term payback.
My other friend at Southwest said many pilots have left for Other airlines like Delta because upgrade times are 17 years right now.
If somthing happens to my current flying postion I will put my papers in with United.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Patriot, who are you flying the 777 for. I may have asked you that before, but can't remember.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure if I mentioned it before.. United.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USAir is STILL, to this DATE, TWO DIFFERENT AIRLINES......US Air and America West......When did THAT MERGER take place???

GOOD FUCKING LUCK!!!

United/Continental?  They are going BACKWARDS on their merger.  CAL had been hiring while UAL was furloughing.....

Southwest?  Still chewing on the AirTran "MERGER".  Gonna be YEARS there before things start to move.....

Delta?  Announced hiring in November.  300 to start with.  Will be last chance for any remaining furlough returners.  Then, flow thru's from Compass/etc.  Then off the street.

Just because someone is on top of the heap today, doesn't mean they'll be there in 10 or 20 years.

Yes, there are HUGE retirements coming, but, how many of those are going to be filled at the airline, and how many  will be outsourced???

Good Luck.....

That sums it up nicely.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Alaska
View Quote

This one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alaska

This one.

Enjoy your staple to the AMR list
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alaska

This one.

After the .gov allows cabotage, it is just an academic discussion anyway!  The corpses will be carved up mighty quickly...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

After the .gov allows cabotage, it is just an academic discussion anyway!  The corpses will be carved up mighty quickly...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alaska

This one.

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alaska

This one.

No, the TWA pilots fought long and hard to get the Bond Amendment, to ensure that wouldn't happen to anyone else.  

So, now, those Alaska pilots would be slotted in Above those same TWA guys.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
The guys I know who fly chartered private jets do quite well for themselves. I'm not sure how you get such a gig though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

GOOD FUCKING LUCK!!!

Good Luck.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOOD FUCKING LUCK!!!

Good Luck.....

have you been drinking too much at the airport lounge again?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Btdt in spades.  I've paid more regional dues than most.  .  Only Screechjet could know the horrors of ten legs a day in the mighty Jetsteam.

Unfortunately, HR doesn't care what you or I think.  

It's Military, Affirmative Action, Nepotism, Connections, and Experience, in that order.  

Is UAL hiring?  

Fwiw- this is kinda an academic discussion, since I'm already with a carrier and probably too "comfortable" to jump ship.  

However, it could be a big help to some of out younger guys who might be hoping to grab the brass ring.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The guys I know who fly chartered private jets do quite well for themselves. I'm not sure how you get such a gig though.
View Quote

Btdt too.  I know the industry intimately.     "Quite well" is a relative term.     Many are very underpaid.  Some do very well.   The biggest company is Netjets, basically an airline for the rich and famous.   Not a bad gig, but that ship sailed ten years ago.    Even the best Corporate gig has very little real job security.

To break into corporate flying you need to be "insurance qualified" which means Recent FSI recurrent checkride and type rating and quality PIC time ~ 300 hours or more In the Aircraft they are hiring for, And / or you need serious connections.     An FSI type rating is $27,000 on the little jet I used to fly, recurrent is $14,000.  You can't buy flight time, it starts at $1000 per hour.

Corporate is actually harder to get into than the airlines.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Put your papers in at Atlas Air, if you haven't already. We are currently hiring, at least 3 more classes before year end.

Our merger was complete almost 2 years ago, new contract signed and amendable in 2 years I think. Bunch of retirements coming up as well.

Plus 2 aircraft types now, rumors of a third type, and the mix of 747's we have between the -400's, -8's, LCF's and passenger -400's keeps things interesting.

Edit:  Patriot, nice gig. I have a bolt face logo on my pubs bag. You never know, might see you out there sometime.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Put your papers in at Atlas Air, if you haven't already. We are currently hiring, at least 3 more classes before year end.

Our merger was complete almost 2 years ago, new contract signed and amendable in 2 years I think. Bunch of retirements coming up as well.

Plus 2 aircraft types now, rumors of a third type, and the mix of 747's we have between the -400's, -8's, LCF's and passenger -400's keeps things interesting.

Edit:  Patriot, nice gig. I have a bolt face logo on my pubs bag. You never know, might see you out there sometime.
View Quote

Great tip.    Keep 'em coming guys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BoR,

What's your background, exp, etc?  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Expressjet. You get the best of United express,  and delta connection. Largest regional out there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Expressjet. You get the best of United express,  and delta connection. Largest regional out there.
View Quote

If the airline you work for doesn't own the name painted on the fuse, you need to look at moving on.

That's not going to solve all problems, but regional carriers have a horrible track record for "hang your hat" type places.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Delta is hiring 300 new pilots in Atlanta right now.

AJC is a liberal rag, but here : http://www.ajc.com/news/business/delta-to-hire-300-pilots/nYwDj/

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BoR,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BoR,

iM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top