Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 12:37:22 PM EDT
Well - the best that can be downloaded and used for free?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
DVDSHRINK

and use nero 6 ultra to write with.
the two programs together will decrypt,shrink and write
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What if I just want to decrpyt and write? I dont want to lose any quality by shrinking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You will have to shrink the DVD movie unless you are burning to a duel layer DVD.  Single layer DVD's are 4. something gig's.  Movies are 9. something gigs.  We have a 42" TV and have not seen any loss in video quality.

As a matter of fact in using DVD shrink as I type this reply.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=273097
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Kinda hard when a dvd movie is over 5 gig without being recompressed.

You shouldn't notice any quality loss.  the picture moe on a dvd is normally beyond a standard tv's abilities.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I use DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0 www.dvddecrypter.com/ with DVD Shrink 3.2.  Both of them are free.

Instructions are here:
www.thescrapyard.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/video/using%20freeware%20utilities%20to%20backup%20your%20movies.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You will have to shrink the DVD movie unless you are burning to a duel layer DVD.  Single layer DVD's are 4. something gig's.  Movies are 9. something gigs.  We have a 42" TV and have not seen any loss in video quality.

As a matter of fact in using DVD shrink as I type this reply.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=273097

I would just put the movie on two single layer DVD-Rs.  I currently use DVDXCOPY to do just that, but it is not entirely reliable. The reason I do not want to compress the DVDs is because I have an HDTV and any loss of quality is noticable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would just put the movie on two single layer DVD-Rs.  I currently use DVDXCOPY to do just that, but it is not entirely reliable. The reason I do not want to compress the DVDs is because I have an HDTV and any loss of quality is noticable.

I have a progressive scan DVD player in to the HDTV inputs of the TV.  No noticeable loss on my end.

Also DVD's are not HD yet.  Those will be out next net year.  Players are already out.  Just not the movies.  Now that pisses me off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
here some help on using shrink,this is how i back up my dvds.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a progressive scan DVD player in to the HDTV inputs of the TV.  No noticeable loss on my end.

Also DVD's are not HD yet.  Those will be out next net year.  Players are already out.  Just not the movies.  Now that pisses me off.

Do you have an HDTV? I know DVDs are not HD yet, but since my TV is able to display all of the information on the DVD, any reduction in DVD quality can be noticable. Most non-HD TVs cannot display all of info on a DVD so a loss in quality is less noticable.

BTW:  I love my drunk machine gunners shirt.  It has gotten more comments than my other RKBA type shirts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have an HDTV? I know DVDs are not HD yet, but since my TV is able to display all of the information on the DVD, any reduction in DVD quality can be noticable. Most non-HD TVs cannot display all of info on a DVD so a loss in quality is less noticable.

BTW:  I love my drunk machine gunners shirt.  It has gotten more comments than my other RKBA type shirts.

yes we have an HDTV.  

Glad you like the shirt.  Great bunch of guys the DMG are!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used dvdfab
copies the movie, all audio tracks, menus, extra features, everything with no quality lose
does require 2 blank dvds for most movies though. but there's no quality lose
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
clonedvd2 ---> nero

the best quality ive found yet
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I use dvd decryptor and Pinnacle Instant copy.  It allows you to remove the trailers and other languages and subtitles to reduce the amount of compression.  

I also agree there is no loss of quality unless you go over three hours of video.  

Almost all TVs have enough lines of resolution to cover DVD.  HDTV has twice as many lines of resolution as DVD and even progressive scan only uses all the lines in a pseudo sort of way.

But, Instant Copy is not free.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
dvdXcopy.
Works most of the time, ultra stupid interface (click the green button 2 times and you're done) which is perfect for me.

They are going out of biz though, so buy it while you can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#17]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have DVD Shrink and Clone DVD.
Love them and use them almost daily..
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just get a dual layer burner.  You can get one a NEC 16x dual layer +-RW for $77 shipped or the 8x for $64 shipped.  The 16x will burn +R9 @ 4x and the 8x will burn +R9 at 2.4x

www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
i use 1CLICK DVD COPY with the DVD43FREE decrypter.....very simple to use.....only costs 50.00.......did 7 movies today in about 3 hours.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
DVD X-Copy is gone.
No mas.
Ka-put.

Quoted:
dvdXcopy.
Works most of the time, ultra stupid interface (click the green button 2 times and you're done) which is perfect for me.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Dual layer media is still about $10.00 a disk.

JFYI, this is from NEC's web site:

We do not currently sell DVD/CD-RW drives directly to consumers and do not provide drivers or firmware for these drives. Please check with the vendor or OEM that you obtained the drive for support and updates.

And then there is this PC World article:

No Firmware Updates
Factor in the other elements you miss out on, and your new drive may seem even less of a bargain. If you buy an OEM drive, your drive's firmware is frozen at the time of manufacturing. That's an important point considering that most vendors use firmware upgrades to do everything from fixing speed glitches to adding additional media support and new drive capabilities (see my column on this subject). For example, we recently tested the Sony DRU-530A for our October 2004 Top 10 DVD Drives chart. The drive performed well on all of our tests but the one for rewritable performance. As a result, Sony says it will have a firmware update on its Web site to correct this snafu.

If you'd bought an OEM version of Sony's drive, you'd be out of luck. That's because drive makers, including Sony and Pioneer, program their firmware updates to work with drives that have ID strings the updates recognize, whether the drive bears the company's own brand or that of an authorized partner that is repackaging and selling the drive at retail. If the drive's firmware identifies it as an OEM drive, that drive won't be able to use the firmware upgrade.

Firmware updates are usually the responsibility of the company that's the last link in the chain, and those companies generally keep users up-to-date as needed. Typically, the last link is the vendor that markets the drive. In the example of Pioneer, the drive is manufactured and marketed by the same company. Drives marketed under such brand names as Kano, LaCie, Pacific Digital, and TDK are made by other companies, such as NEC and Pioneer. TDK and vendors like it provide tech support and upgrades for the drives they sell. But OEM drives that are sold online or at retail stores aren't backed by any drive vendor--if you buy one, you're on your own.

A final word of caution about buying drives: Beware of unusually low prices, or oddly worded ads. Some sellers might not call a drive an OEM, or they might say it's an OEM drive with a warranty--but that doesn't mean you're getting the manufacturer's warranty. For example, a call to A2ZComp.com--an online retailer offering the OEM version of Sony's DRU-700A drive for $109--revealed that the drive's warranty was through A2ZComp.com, not Sony.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,117366,00.asp

Quoted:
Just get a dual layer burner.  You can get one a NEC 16x dual layer +-RW for $77 shipped or the 8x for $64 shipped.  The 16x will burn +R9 @ 4x and the 8x will burn +R9 at 2.4x

www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagging this baby for later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I got old school verision of DVDXCopy here
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
DVD X-Copy is gone.
No mas.
Ka-put.

Quoted:
dvdXcopy.

Even though the company is out of business, there's still a way to make a new install work, not show the crappy "Warning" on a copy and decrypt DVDs all with the newest version.  IF you know what you're doing.  It has to be the easiest DVD copy program made that actually works.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Well let me know as I have a legal version with the last updates that is sitting around collecting dust since I found DVD Shrink.

Quoted:
Even though the company is out of business, there's still a way to make a new install work, not show the crappy "Warning" on a copy and decrypt DVDs all with the newest version.  IF you know what you're doing.  It has to be the easiest DVD copy program made that actually works.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top