Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2002 10:29:53 PM EDT
Hi all,

The title says it all. I'm looking for the best way to carry *just ammo* in 30 round AR mags, without any extra stuff. This means I don't really want one of those "tactical" vests, since they're designed to link up to web belts and carry other types of gear. I'm just looking for ammo carrying capability. I've seen the old 20 round mag bandoleers that were used in Nam and I like that sort of thing, but I need it for 30 rounders. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you want a chest rig. If you want to carry 8 to 12 mags they are the stuff. Blackhawk and taticle taylor as well as a few others make them.
Do some window shopping at lightfighter.com
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh... I should have been more specific. I meant, what's the best way to carry mags into the field, camping, shooting waaaay out in the desert, etc? Chest rigs look pretty good, but I've been doing a little hunting myself and I'm pretty drawn towards the newer Molle 6 mag bandoleer system. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? Looks like I could just grab one or two of these, depending on the situation, and be "ready to go."
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself a surplus web belt and Y strap shoulder harness. They run about $20-$30 together, and you can add up to four triple mag pouches (about$5-$10 each) to it, giving you 12 magazine capacity. You could also try just 2 mag pouches with a SAW 6-mag pouch for the small of your back. Whatever works for you.
This is a very inexpensive way to carry a good amount of mags and is customizable if you ever decide to lug some food and water along with all that ammo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
How about a molle belt and some mag pouches on it. You could even do a canteen a 2 on it. If your going waaaay out you need water...and bullets.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
See my post in this thread for another option -

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=53623[/url]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I like these:

http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=MP30

This is the MP30 magazine pouch from

www.galatiinternational.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the *best* way to carry mags/ammo?

ummmmmm CAREFULLY? [;)]

for what purpose? if its just to go to the range... a simple range bag would do.
View Quote

LOADED!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the responses so far, I appreciate your help. As far as the web belt, I don't think that will work for me since I've already set that aside for the *really* important stuff you need out in the wilderness, i.e. canteens, compass, knife, flashlight, etc. There's just not enough room to add all the ammo I'd like to carry on top of all that. Ideally I'd like to keep the mags on a completely independent system, like a chest rig or other unit, that I can just grab along with the rifle, or leave behind if need be. I was thinking about trying to make an extra long web belt that I could sling around my shoulder and use to carry around 9 mags in GI mag pouches, but they don't make web belts large enough. So, for the time being, the MOLLE gear bandoleer seemed like the best bet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top