Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2009 5:40:37 PM EDT
In your opinion, what is required for someone to claim the title of "historian"? Is it just knowing a lot about a certain topic? Or do you need to have some sort of degree or professional work to show for it?
Personally, for someone to legitimately claim that he is a "historian," I think he needs to have either:
- earned an advanced college degree in History (Master's or Ph.D)
or
- written & published a substantial historical work, an actual book or multiple magazine articles  (websites and blogs don't count).
If someone has not met either of these requirements, they are just a "buff," a very knowledgeable amateur, but still an amateur nonetheless. (I would place myself in this camp, having not earned my MA yet.)
What do you think?
DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to be a subtle attack or attempt to discredit anyone who frequents this forum. I'm a history graduate student and have simply been giving this question a lot of thought.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Different meanings, I feel.

A historian is someone who writes history, in a professional capacity, as appointed by an organization.

A historian is also one who studies and researches history, professionally.

ETA:  And yes, to me, this term denotes some formal education on the subject, and/or a comprehensive body of published work on the subject.

This differs from the "buff" or "armchair historian", who, while they may truly be very knowledgeable (known a few in my time, learned from them), are only doing these studies as a "side interest" in life.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say someone who actively researches historical events then passes along to other people, i.e. writing a book, teaching, working for an organization of sorts
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Either the PHD, which requires a book length piece of research, or a published book specific to history from primary sources.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been called a historian by some people, but I'm only a civil servant.  

I think university professors deserve the title.  I also think park ranger-historians also deserve it.  Certain well read re-enactors deserve the title living-historian (as opposed to dead historians?) and some folks who write a book or a bunch o' books that are valid pieces of research also deserve it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend Magda is the historian for Under Armor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
have a book published and accepted by your peers

I think of Steven Ambrose, even late in his life he was still being maligned by detractors of his work but I can't think of a better example of a historian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top