Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 5:34:26 PM EDT
They cut off, at least my two do, about 50% of the meat in their quest to get rid of the fat. They leave so much meat left over a person could make meal out of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They are watching their waistline,thank God.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the steak should have been prepared right to begin with.  Gotta trim that fat off or it melts on the grill and makes the steak taste bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe the steak should have been prepared right to begin with.  Gotta trim that fat off or it melts on the grill and makes the steak taste bad.

You have got to be kidding.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people just don't know how to cook.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a big +1 on that.  I'm a trained chef, never heard that one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.  When that fat melts and hits the coals it releases all kinds of chemicals that are bad for flavor, and some idiot scientists actually think they're carcinogens.  I used to think fat = flavor but I tried it once cutting off all the excess fat and it tasted worlds better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I trim the fat on mine, although, I don't cut off any meat during that operation.

I also score the edge a few times so the steak doesn't curl up when cooking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the fat on your steak has enough time to melt, and hit the coals, you're cookin' it too long.

How do you suppose to "trim the fat" out of a good marbled ribeye?  Answer:

You don't.  That's what makes it taste so damn good.

Obviously you have to leave that in

And as far as cooking it too long goes, that happens after only a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.  When that fat melts and hits the coals it releases all kinds of chemicals that are bad for flavor, and some idiot scientists actually think they're carcinogens.  I used to think fat = flavor but I tried it once cutting off all the excess fat and it tasted worlds better.

Major loss of man/grill chef points.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who doesn't beleive me that it tastes better is welcome to try it out for themselves.

ETA: I'm not trying to sabotage anyone's beef here
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Looks like were all goin' to Zakk's for his Wylde Shoe Leather Surprise!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
You need enough fat left when you start to cook it so that it melts and makes the meat juicy.  Too lean, and it dries out.  Blah.  Who likes DRY steak??

However, a nice 1.5lb cut shouldn't be .75lb of fat.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, to put this thread back on topic, I will answer the orginal question -

Because women are nuts!  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Of course there are bloody carcinogens on the meat.  You could excise every microgram of fat off the steak and there'd still be carcinogens aplenty.  

Have you ever heard of Kobe beef?  It is richly marbled in fat and therefore considered a premium type of beef.  

I expect some of it is personal preference, but I want FAT on my steak.  And carncinogens too.  De-fatted steak, might as well eat tofu.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You need enough fat left when you start to cook it so that it melts and makes the meat juicy.  Too lean, and it dries out.  Blah.  Who likes DRY steak??

However, a nice 1.5lb cut shouldn't be .75lb of fat.  

That's what the marbled fat is for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Okay, to put this thread back on topic, I will answer the orginal question -

Because women are nuts!  

There you have it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Venison has fat? Marinade, hot hot hot grill, 5 or 6 min tops MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#20]
When you get done eating a steak the only thing left should be a smudge where the steak was.

...and that's only if you don't have a roll so that you can't sop it up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
More marbling = more flavor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Because no body likes fat chicks.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#23]
That's it.  They know you can drink  'em pretty but you can't drink 'em skinny.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the fat on your steak has enough time to melt, and hit the coals, you're cookin' it too long.

How do you suppose to "trim the fat" out of a good marbled ribeye?  Answer:

You don't.  That's what makes it taste so damn good.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#25]
<-----------------------

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Leave the fat!

From this afternoon:
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish that was the only problem I had with feeding my GF steak. She calls a nice rib-eye a "slab of flesh" and has brought me a "ribcage" she couldn't stomach that was ordered for her at Tony Roma's. Things could be worse! Rob
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
A woman has to know which meat is always edible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top