Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
I live in Miami, FL. It seems as though almost every time I go to a Home Depot (and there are many locations around town that I've been to) that there's always some sort of dirtbag/peddler/scammer hanging out needing help for 'something' or another. It's usually something like "Hey buddy, my car just broke down 2 blocks from here. Can you give me a hand?", or "Hi, I'm selling magazine subscriptions... yadi yadi yadi." The people are almost always undoubtebly scam/rip off artists, beggers, whatever kind of dirtbag you want to call it. This almost never happens to me at grocery store parking lots or even the shoping malls. I'm wondering why this almost always happens though at ANY Home Depot I go to. I don't believe that just because someone is a dirtbag/peddler/scammer that they necessarily intend to do harm, but today I felt very different...

Today, while I was loading up some paint into my car that I just purchased, some very large tatooed up thug type dude comes quickly and surprisingly up to me while my hands were full and was like "Hey, my car just..." and before he could get another word out I dropped one of the cans and immediately reached under my shirt for my piece. Before I even needed to say a word to the guy or expose my gun, he quickly raised his hands up, backed up and began high tailing it in the opposite direction. Honestly, I was a little scared and was nervous about having to actually remove my gun from the holster. This guy undoubtebly had no good intentions, and we were in a distant area of the lot where he could have easily robbed me without witness had I been unarmed (and if he had been just a hair quicker I might not have been able to react accordingly). I purposely did not use the words "draw down" in the title of this post, but basically I almost did today and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. What was pleasant about it was how quickly the guy took off, and I watched him until he was quite a fair distance away before I continued loading up my car.

WTF?!?! Is it only like this at the Home Depots in Miami or is this a national phenomena?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:33:00 PM EDT
Never seen that sort of stuff here. It would piss me off though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:39:15 PM EDT
It happens in Chicago too. My theory is they're looking for work trucks to hit. I've had more friends have thir trucks broken into at Home Depot that on job sites.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:39:54 PM EDT
My Home Depot is downright respectable.

I really like that place.

I am kinda concerned about the whole "drawing down" thing though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:40:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MFS1589:

+1.

If the guys are driving Jeeps with soft tops, and you had a knife....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:03 PM EDT
Which HD in Miami was this?
I've been to a few.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 5:43:12 PM EDT by HighStrung1]
WTF?!?! Is it only like this at the Home Depots in Miami or is this a national phenomena?

Dude, you live in a third world shit-hole where the good old days are long, long gone.
I'm glad you CCW and if you live there long enough, you'll be reaching much more often for that carry piece.

In Miami, you stand out like a sore thumb. White boy, sheesh!
Expect to be a target when you stick out that much.

HS1 <------------Lives in Davie.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

Dude, you live in a third world shit-hole where the good old days are long, long gone.
I'm glad you CCW and if you live there long enough, you'll be reaching much more often for that carry piece.

+1

I'm hispanic and I hate it there. Fuck La Raza, Azatlan, and all them M-F. I'll be the first to fight for the Stars and Stripes when the civil war comes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT

+1 never seen it at the MD or CT Home Depot's I've been to.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT
The downtown Seattle one has day laborers ready to go to your house and put the shit in your dumbass just bought. I dont know if they actually confront people or not.

I keep my eyes open, situational awareness on high all the time, and keep a look of "If you talk to me I will kill you". If there are 8 people somewhere, and I am one of them, a panhandler will ask the other seven and will never say shit to me. Everytime.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:11:01 PM EDT
I understand a lot of "day laborers" (i.e. undocumented workers) congregate where there's work to be found: where the contractors shop for supplies. Never seen it happen in OH.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hector_X:
I understand a lot of "day laborers" (i.e. undocumented workers) congregate where there's work to be found: where the contractors shop for supplies. Never seen it happen in OH.

ah...guess you don't know much 'bout the roofing business.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 6:23:32 PM EDT by 4xys2xxs]

I understand a lot of "day laborersIllegal Aliens" (i.e. undocumented workers) congregate where there's work to be found: where the contractors shop for supplies. Never seen it happen in OH.

Fixed.

The illegals here are aggressively looking for work in front of all Home Depots.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:34:50 PM EDT
Here where I live, it seems to be the HEB store. They try to hit you up in the parking lot and inside the store. The people on parade has gone from respectable to the alein bar seen in star wars. The worst I have seen is the snatch and grabs in the store. One galtried to grab a blind mans wallet. He managed to grab her hair and nearly scalp her with the gal screaming rape.

The last time I was there I had to back up from one bum and make a move toward my chl gun when he would not take NO for an anwser. I would go to another store but this one is the only one close by. The next closet market is more then 5 miles from the house.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:41:48 PM EDT
Decaf.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:42:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
I live in Miami, FL. It seems as though almost every time I go to a Home Depot (and there are many locations around town that I've been to) that there's always some sort of dirtbag/peddler/scammer hanging out needing help for 'something' or another. It's usually something like "Hey buddy, my car just broke down 2 blocks from here. Can you give me a hand?", or "Hi, I'm selling magazine subscriptions... yadi yadi yadi." The people are almost always undoubtebly scam/rip off artists, beggers, whatever kind of dirtbag you want to call it. This almost never happens to me at grocery store parking lots or even the shoping malls. I'm wondering why this almost always happens though at ANY Home Depot I go to. I don't believe that just because someone is a dirtbag/peddler/scammer that they necessarily intend to do harm, but today I felt very different...

Today, while I was loading up some paint into my car that I just purchased, some very large tatooed up thug type dude comes quickly and surprisingly up to me while my hands were full and was like "Hey, my car just..." and before he could get another word out I dropped one of the cans and immediately reached under my shirt for my piece. Before I even needed to say a word to the guy or expose my gun, he quickly raised his hands up, backed up and began high tailing it in the opposite direction. Honestly, I was a little scared and was nervous about having to actually remove my gun from the holster. This guy undoubtebly had no good intentions, and we were in a distant area of the lot where he could have easily robbed me without witness had I been unarmed (and if he had been just a hair quicker I might not have been able to react accordingly). I purposely did not use the words "draw down" in the title of this post, but basically I almost did today and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. What was pleasant about it was how quickly the guy took off, and I watched him until he was quite a fair distance away before I continued loading up my car.

They are all over South Fla. Get used to it.

That is why I got the F outta there after only 5 years!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT

originally posted by shootemup:

And you moved to NY?

Yeah, there's something to brag about.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:45:05 PM EDT
You have found a target rich enviroment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT

And you moved to NY?

HS1

I'll take Long Island, NY over that shit hole anyday. BS gun laws, high taxes and all.

ENJOY THE INVASION!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:46:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shootemup:

And you moved to NY?

HS1

I'll take Long Island, NY over that shit hole anyday. BS gun laws, high taxes and all.

ENJOY THE INVASION!!!!!

You have been assimilated. Good job!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE shopping at home depot. It's like a big candy store.

But tell me why you're concerned about the 'drawing down' thing. Do you think I over reacted? Do you suppose I should have waited until I was in a 'no turning back' situation to place my hand on my weapon? I would like to add that I don't think that a gun is something that should be drawn to intimidate or to get someone to back down, however, I do believe that there are rare occasions where it can prevent a bad situation from getting SERIOUSLY bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
Which HD in Miami was this?
I've been to a few.

THIS time it was at the one on SW 8th Street near 27th Avenue in Little Havana. It has occurred to me on occasions at the one off 163rd Street in North Miami Beach as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:56:02 PM EDT
everytime Im at a Walmart, I see the scummiest low life trash, I never see any at nice MALLs, they are always at WALmart.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT

I've lived in Miami for over 30 years.

Just curious what makes you think I'm a "White boy" and "stand out like a sore thumb"? You are incorrect on that.

Davie, huh? Maybe I'll see you at Gatsby's tomorrow night (Ladies Night, you know)

<--------- Grew up in South Miami / Kendall, Went to FSU, Now lives in Aventura.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:59:54 PM EDT

I've lived in Miami for over 30 years.

Just curious what makes you think I'm a "White boy" and "stand out like a sore thumb"? You are incorrect on that.

Davie, huh? Maybe I'll see you at Gatsby's tomorrow night (Ladies Night, you know)

<--------- Grew up in South Miami / Kendall, Went to FSU, Now lives in Aventura.

Just go to the one in the Oakwood Plaza. A little farther, but much nicer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT

I don't mind the day laborers. A man's got to put food on his family's plate somehow. So long as they don't inappropriately confront you (in an intimidating way), then that's ok to me. In fact, I wouldn't mind hiring them (and have in the past) if I needed the help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:02:41 PM EDT
I've had this happen a couple of times, including at a Home Depot.

Right hand goes to pistol, left hand presents badge, mouth says "Fuck off shitbag, I'm off-duty."

Works great so far.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE shopping at home depot. It's like a big candy store.

But tell me why you're concerned about the 'drawing down' thing. Do you think I over reacted? Do you suppose I should have waited until I was in a 'no turning back' situation to place my hand on my weapon? I would like to add that I don't think that a gun is something that should be drawn to intimidate or to get someone to back down, however, I do believe that there are rare occasions where it can prevent a bad situation from getting SERIOUSLY bad.

I'm a LEO. You did fine. You reacted to a percieved threat, yet did not over-react.

Relax.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:11:39 PM EDT

....Today, while I was loading up some paint into my car that I just purchased, some very large tatooed up thug type dude comes quickly and surprisingly up to me while my hands were full and was like "Hey, my car just..." and before he could get another word out I dropped one of the cans and immediately reached under my shirt for my piece. Before I even needed to say a word to the guy or expose my gun, he quickly raised his hands up, backed up and began high tailing it in the opposite direction. Honestly, I was a little scared and was nervous about having to actually remove my gun from the holster. This guy undoubtebly had no good intentions, and we were in a distant area of the lot where he could have easily robbed me without witness had I been unarmed (and if he had been just a hair quicker I might not have been able to react accordingly). ....

I can certainly understand the situation and relate to it. Try driving an exotic car and you get approached by a lot of random folks, some of questionable character. I mean literally, a Lot of people wanting to get a closer look on the car, talk to you about it and wanting to know what you do for a living, etc. There is nothing wrong about it but if it's late at night and 3 dudes are circling your car peeping thru the window, your initial reaction tells you to be on the lookout.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:11:50 PM EDT

Settle down folks. I've lived in Miami almost 35 years and generally don't have any problems WHEREVER I go. I'm specifically referring to Home Depot parking lots.

Miami is not for everyone. Most people not from here WOULD and DO hate it after a while. It requires time and patience to clearly undestand the people of the community. And there are many communities throughout Miami that are just as much alike as they are different. Kendall, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Hialeah, Miami Springs, Miami Lakes, Overtown, Downtown, Mid-town, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles. Miami is a VERY big city. It requires one to have a great deal of cultural diversity and appreciation. It also requires you knowing where you're going and when you're going, because certainly, as in many major metropolitan cities, there are simply places you just don't go at certain times. If you're only here for the short term and never figure this out, then I can see how Miami would be a complete HELL HOLE to many.

To me, Miami is like an island paradise. I have friends that live in EVERY godforsaken part of this city, and am comfortable just about anywhere I go. It also helps to speak the 'local' language... Cuban, Not Spanish It's in your blood whether or not your destined to be here. Just like TX, NY, or even CA. You can love any one of them, but you cant love them all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:13:34 PM EDT
happens here in lil 'ol Winchester at Lowes and Wallyworld. My wife had an experience at wallyworld a couple of months ago.....she had seen a tweaked-up, jailhouse tat wearing fella hassling some other women in the lot on her way in and notified the manager, who called the police. She was a little rattled by what she had seen, and had her hand on her pistol when he practically crawled in through her open passenger window and tried to get her purse. She put the muzzle of her P245 on the end of his nose and leaned on the horn, screaming at him not to move or she'd vaporize him until the police showed up. (they took him away, said he had several outstanding warrants but wouldn't say what they were for)

Moral of the story--Trust your instincts, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Also, don't fuck with anyone driving a vehicle with RKBA, POW/MIA, Molon Labe, NRA, and ARFcom stickers, even if they're cute little blonde women.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:14:55 PM EDT

ENJOY THE INVASION!!!!!

I don't consort wth dem sheeple.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:19:03 PM EDT

+1

You are correct sir.

I happen to be in Coral Gable at around 5:00PM and heading north home to Aventura is brutal at that time on I95. I decided to hit the nearby Home Depot just to kill an extra hour or two so I could miss the rush hour traffic parking lot jam on I95.

The one at Oakwood is nice and new and seemingly unaffected by the dreggs of society down in Metro-Dade County.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:35:11 PM EDT

+1

You are correct sir.

I happen to be in Coral Gable at around 5:00PM and heading north home to Aventura is brutal at that time on I95. I decided to hit the nearby Home Depot just to kill an extra hour or two so I could miss the rush hour traffic parking lot jam on I95.

The one at Oakwood is nice and new and seemingly unaffected by the dreggs of society down in Miami-Dade County.

FIXED.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:37:35 PM EDT

Ditto on both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:39:16 PM EDT
I have the same guy hit me up in the Autozone parking lot on weekends, been going on for over a year.

Happens other places too, I quess some morons are keeping them in buisness.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:41:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 4xys2xxs:

I understand a lot of "day laborersIllegal Aliens" (i.e. undocumented workers) congregate where there's work to be found: where the contractors shop for supplies. Never seen it happen in OH.

Fixed.

The illegals here are aggressively looking for work in front of all Home Depots.

If you ain't seen it yet, stay tuned. The illegal locusts will make their way to you very soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:48:27 PM EDT
Never had it happen here in any of the Norther VA stores.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:57:23 PM EDT
Had a guy come up to me in a Denneys parking lot asking for gas money. He even had a gas can. I gave him some change outta my pocket (maybe $0.75) he said thanks and went on his way. Guy was dressed nice and didnt look bad. Next day in the Target parking lot about 2 mi away I see the same guy asking for money from someone eles. I walk by and ask him if he is still out of gas and he looks at me and said yes. I told him that it was a pretty good scam but I wont be fooled twice. He got mad and said "I gots to do what I gots to do to make it." I told him go get a job. He mumbled somthing and I went on my way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:12:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:41:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MilTrainInstructor:
Had a guy come up to me in a Denneys parking lot asking for gas money. He even had a gas can. I gave him some change outta my pocket (maybe $0.75) he said thanks and went on his way. Guy was dressed nice and didnt look bad. Next day in the Target parking lot about 2 mi away I see the same guy asking for money from someone eles. I walk by and ask him if he is still out of gas and he looks at me and said yes. I told him that it was a pretty good scam but I wont be fooled twice. He got mad and said "I gots to do what I gots to do to make it." I told him go get a job. He mumbled somthing and I went on my way.

Did he have a Jeep?

Should have made it topless, by means of knife

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:44:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:
everytime Im at a Walmart, I see the scummiest low life trash, I never see any at nice MALLs, they are always at WALmart.

There are malls where you see the dregs of society. But those malls are generally in the crapper areas.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:45:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:

There are malls where you see the dregs of society. But those malls are generally in the crapper areas.

Mall here has all the ghetto crowd, Walmart seems better.
Top Top