Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 4:32:39 AM EDT
Last night, someone started a rant regarding the firearm trade. His experience had been bad, and he felt that all gun companies are jerks.

I disagreed in the post. However, I would have to say that the Evil Black Rifle business is the exception.

When the quality of a company is in question, you're generally talking about a few things like:
  • Is the product of good quality?
  • Is the product's value at the level that the buyer expects?
  • Is their product generally of consistently good quality?
  • Are they responsive to customer complaints?
  • Do they stand behind the product with good service?
When you're referring to the gun business in general, companies like Remington, Sig, FN, Colt, the parent company of Winchester Browning etc., Glock, even Taurus, are good companies, and I think you'd have to agree that they treat their customers well.

If you dig into the smaller markets of the gun business, the story is often the same. In 1911's, companies like Wilson and Les Baer are great. The big custom gunsmith shops tend to have long waiting lists because the quality of the work and the way they treat their customers is great.

Now look at the Evil Black Rifle business. If you look at the top-name producers like Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, DPMS, DSA, Springfield Armory, Rock River, generally speaking you are looking at companies that produce a good product and stand behind it with consistency.

BUT, if you look at the custom EBR companies, or the kit-gun business, or the shops that specialize in EBR products that are off the beaten path, it's totally different. You know who I'm referring to.

What started me thining about the is the Ares mythical Shrike.

How about Todd Bailey and Special Weapons?

Remember the Coal Creek Armory debacle?

How about Hesse? And American Spirit Arms? And Joeken?

And that perennial junk-producer, the company that uses trained monkeys and homeless people as gunsmiths, Century Arms? (I need a "Will build AK47 for food" sign here.)

There are some vendors over in the Industry forum that unfortunately could also be listed. (I ain't goin' there.)

How many times have you read "That so-and-so took my money and ran!" "I've sent my deposit to XYZ and they still haven't produced a product in two years!" "I bought one of those (fill-in-the-blank) and I couldn't make it work, and they won't give me my money back!"

So why is it this way?

Am I off base here?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:37:45 AM EDT
The gun business in general is a sham, it really breaks down at the distributors and goes downhill from there. Ethics for one, anyone here remember life before the ban?

Case and pont:
Specialty Arms here in Tn.
Colt AR-15 H-bar or carbine $729. Immediatly after the ban $2100. Same rifle they paid $600 for. They took the mags out of the box and were selling those for $30 each.

Sure the rifle was a quality piece, gun stores however leave a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:38:20 AM EDT
I've been shooing for 35 years. Rarely did I even have a problem with Mfg's. or dealers. I do quite a bit of research though before I plunk down my money. Never been burned yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:14:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
I've been shooing for 35 years. Rarely did I even have a problem with Mfg's. or dealers. I do quite a bit of research though before I plunk down my money. Never been burned yet.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:32:37 AM EDT

The biggest problems with " the gun business" that I see:

1. Firearms are one of the last purely mechanical, machined, fitted products the avg joe will buy. Everything around us is injection molded plastic and cheap circuit boards. It actually takes skilled labor to make one. Now, find Americans willing/able to make one. And customers willing to understand this.

2. Too many gun businesses are started by someone that likes guns and thinks he knows more than he does and has zero business sense. Recipe for disaster.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:33:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
Case and pont:
Colt AR-15 H-bar or carbine $729. Immediatly after the ban $2100. Same rifle they paid $600 for. They took the mags out of the box and were selling those for $30 each.

Sure the rifle was a quality piece, gun stores however leave a lot to be desired.

So they were just supposed to sell the rifle at pre-ban prices even thought it was more valuable post-ban? Or should they have been altruistic and sold it at the pre-ban prices even though Colt was not making any more pre-ban rifles?

What about gasoline? If gas goes up 10 cents should the gas store give me yesterday's price if they didn't have to refill their tank? Of course not, their gas is going to cost more to buy in the future which makes their inventory more valuable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:35:12 AM EDT

The gun business in general is a sham, it really breaks down at the distributors and goes downhill from there. Ethics for one, anyone here remember life before the ban?

Case and pont:

+1 Not to mention the fuktards with bad attitudes that run most of the shops.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:36:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:

Case and pont:

So they were just supposed to sell the rifle at pre-ban prices even thought it was more valuable post-ban? Or should they have been altruistic and sold it at the pre-ban prices even though Colt was not making any more pre-ban rifles?

What about gasoline? If gas goes up 10 cents should the gas store give me yesterday's price if they didn't have to refill their tank? Of course not, their gas is going to cost more to buy in the future which makes their inventory more valuable.

So three times the price is ok?? No, that is price gouging.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:40:35 AM EDT

Case and pont:

You're confusing supply and demand with price gouging.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:33:04 AM EDT

Case and pont:

So three times the price is ok?? No, that is price gouging.

No one is putting an EBR to your head and forcing you to buy it. Your children will not go hungry or freeze to death without one. Find an alternative product, alternative source, or do without.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:46:39 PM EDT
^
Top Top