Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:00:48 PM EDT
I have a bill that I bought a few years ago from my brother and can't remember what it is. I paid $10 for it because I liked the way it looked.  

It is pretty large, measure roughly 3.25"x6.50". Colors used are black/green?, white, and some red.

The front is in all Chinese and has a pic of a balding chinese man. The back shows it being worth "5 Custom Gold Units". The date says "Shanghai 1930". It shows a picture of a The Central Bank of China and says "Promises To Pay The Bearer On Demand At Its Office Here" - In all capitol letters. Some of the letters aren't readable because of a crease fold.

The serial numbers are printed in bright red in two spots and are still readable. At the bottom of the bill it reads "American Bank Note Company". Marked by a General Manager and Asst. General Manager.

So, what is it? (Pre-revolution money of some type.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By newbushmaster:
I have a bill that I bought a few years ago from my brother and can't remember what it is. I paid $10 for it because I liked the way it looked.  

It is pretty large, measure roughly 3.25"x6.50". Colors used are black/green?, white, and some red.

The front is in all Chinese and has a pic of a balding chinese man. The back shows it being worth "5 Custom Gold Units". The date says "Shanghai 1930". It shows a picture of a The Central Bank of China and says "Promises To Pay The Bearer On Demand At Its Office Here" - In all capitol letters. Some of the letters aren't readable because of a crease fold.

The serial numbers are printed in bright red in two spots and are still readable. At the bottom of the bill it reads "American Bank Note Company". Marked by a General Manager and Asst. General Manager.

(insert something about a picture and a thousand words here)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:07:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Originally Posted By newbushmaster:

(insert something about a picture and a thousand words here)

If I had the ability to post a picture of it, I would.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:23:56 PM EDT
Looked on google and here is a pic front/back of what it looks like. The link is to a for sale ad, so I will leave the link cold http://pages.tias.com/8834/PictPage/1921433367.html  

Found this link on some info: www.coinsite.com/content/cdanswers/cdarchive55.asp

"Shanghai Customs Gold Units issues were originally used only for customs payments but circulated as currency during and after World War II.  The issues were printed with the same series date from the 1930's into the 1940's.

Various denominations of the 1930 series were printed and they exist in 10 cent, 20 cents, 1 Custom Gold Unit, 5 CGU, 10 CGU, 20 CGU, 50 CGU, 100 CGU, 250 CGU and 500 CGU (issued after WW II).  Each denomination is a different color.  The 5 CGU that you have is black.

Value of your note depends on grade (condition) and variety (signature combinations and other minor changes).  Range: US 10 cents -$50."

Lessons learned from this thread, Google is thy friend.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:02:14 PM EDT
I hate to say it but.......if you can get a coin from ancient Greece (Dorian or Ionian) for a measely 100$ Modern foreign money ain't gonna be worth Schisse! It all about Patriotism, Some rare American coins costing more than much more valuable and historical Foriegn coins, It's just supply and demand. Find something rare and American and you've got something worth something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:57 PM EDT
I actually have one of those pre revolution "Chinese Custom Gold Units" bill mentioned. I paid about 10 cents for it back in the mid 70s and I think the value has increased about 5 times. They are worth about whatever someone would pull out of their pocket for one. Usually not more than a dollar. Nice art work, though.
Top Top