Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/1/2007 11:08:31 AM EDT

I have a relative that is about to graduate the academy, I was thinking of buying him a Surefire 6p flashlight.
Do you know of anything better. price limit of $100.0
Give me some good ideas.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:43:55 AM EDT
If your leaning toward a flashlight find out what his department issues because that is what will have chargers set up in the cars most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:54:53 PM EDT
A Leatherman Tool, Geber Multiplier Tool, or a nice pocket knife would make a fine gift. If he doesn't already have one, a bag for all of his gear would be a great gift too. Camelbaks are nice too and come in real handy on long, hot days.

Unless he is a gear guy, I would stay away from any flashlights that requires unusual batteries. Most of the guys I work with don't use anything that isn't rechargeable or takes AA, AAA, or C/D cells.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:58:11 PM EDT
Beers and lap dances!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:59:02 PM EDT
Rechargable flashlight/Streamlight Stinger

Inexpensive quality pocketknife like spyderco/benchmade/CRKT. No point in spending more on something thats going to very likely get lost or abused.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:04:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Rechargable flashlight/Streamlight Stinger

Inexpensive quality pocketknife like spyderco/benchmade/CRKT. No point in spending more on something thats going to very likely get lost or abused.

LOL, very true. I have 3 multi tools, 2 with broken blades. Last year I picked up a couple of the S&W knives that were discounted at a Big 5 store. They're decent knives and at $14 each I don't worry about breaking them by cutting into a tire, using it as a screwdriver, or whatever dumb stuff I end up doing with it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:05:40 PM EDT
Here's my .02

Either go the route of a sentimental gift he/she can have from you (My uncle bought me a National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Commemorative Coin years ago, still have it in front of me as I write this)

Or

Buy him/her a $100.00 gift certificate at the local uniform shop they live at so they can get the gear, weapons, toys, uniforms etc etc they want.

It never fails when new recruits get out of the academy they buy a ton of crap they don't need and are constantly buying new crap they think they need as they go along.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:16:20 PM EDT
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but some of the first things I bought when I got outta the academy were a report clipboard and a citation holder/clipboard. That or a LED Surefire G2, those damn things are great. The standard G2 lasts about 45 minutes to an hour, my LED has yet to die on 1 set of batteries and I've used it for about 3 almost nightly. Look at galls to get some decent ideas. You'll find better prices elsewhere, but galls will get you a good guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:25:15 PM EDT
Subscription to "Police" Magazine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:28:40 PM EDT
A good quality folding knife like a benchmade. I still have the one my dad got me 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:11:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SSDSurf:
Beers and lap dances!

Where the hell were you when I graduated?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 8:29:34 PM EDT by blueinterceptor]
6p /9p

leatherman
benchmade
these are excellent gifts

gift card to local fun store for off duty gun or holster for off duty gun

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:34:51 PM EDT
I have to go with the gift card. Unless you know what the department issues as far as equipment/clothing allowance, it would be hard and a gift card lets him purchase exactly what he wants. My best wishes for a long and safe law enforcement career!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:03:11 PM EDT
doughnuts and coffee

<----------------it's ok i'm a LEO
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:41:02 PM EDT
MONEY!!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:31:06 PM EDT
Lap dances and beer is a good choice.

A decent St. Michael medallion. Even non-catholic non church goers like me wear them. You would know if it is something he would be into or not. I figure it can't hurt.

A decent one hand opening knife. I carry a CRKT M-16 but will soon have a Benchmade Axis. It runs about $70 bucks.

Tell him congrats and to be careful.

Joe

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:28:05 PM EDT
Handcuffs.

Furry or not...your choice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:54:17 AM EDT
A nice ink stick, moon beam or any number of practical enforcement gear.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:54:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Garage-Logician:

Originally Posted By SSDSurf:
Beers and lap dances!

Where the hell were you when I graduated?

i guess hookers and blow would be out of line
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:23:26 PM EDT
Someone mentioned it already, but a subscription to Police, or Police Marksman would be good (I get both, go figure). Multi tool is good, to. lights- I was issued a 6P by the mil, but like the Z2 much better for use with my pistol. I say go with the Z2 and holder for it, if you get a light. If he has a large rechargable, it will only be a matter of time before he wishes he had a back up light.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:27:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Code4AR:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but some of the first things I bought when I got outta the academy were a report clipboard and a citation holder/clipboard.

Ooooh, good call. I have an awesome clipboard that I use for boardings. I'll look at it tomorrow.

I need to get about 3 more of them
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:29:18 PM EDT
Seriously consider Police Magazine.

If you've never read an issue get one and check it out. Every issue has the standard "NEW GEAR" but it also has the latest court rulings on Miranda Rights, Terry Frisks, Search and Seizure, et al and breaks it down into exactly what it means for the guy on the street.

There's also a lot of good anecdotal stuff in it from veterans who have BTDT to glean some insight into what works and what is a very stupid (and sometimes common) mistake.

Hell, I'm not even in Law Enforcement anymore and I keep renewing!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:35:48 PM EDT
If you really like the graduate, and have the coinage, a nice BUG would be great. But that's if you REALLY like them. Otherwise, I give a nice $100 gift certificate........given during the lap dance.
Top Top