Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:27:36 PM EST
This is driving me batshit crazy...

I've tried two different wireless routers and the results haven't changed... (Netgear and Linksys)

Several times an hour while surfing the www my wireless connection gets dropped (with good signal BTW) and reconnects... over and over and over again.

Any idea what might cause this ??? I'm about damn ready to string a 50ft ethernet cable between my PC and the router...

Does this sound like a wireless problem ? or possibly a shitty Verizon DSL connection / house / phone wiring issue ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:48 PM EST
I have a problem with my Netgear router where I can't have any computer plugged into the ethernet ports and turned on or the wireless will not work - causes it to act flakey like your situation. Might be a similar problem?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:21 PM EST
802.11g and b both run on 2.4GHz, like a lot of modern cordless phones. 802.11n runs on 5 and/or 2.4GHz. I've noticed microwave ovens and cordless phone confuse my wireless card. Windows usually reports no available networks though.

Your router should be the DHCP server, and I've seen some routers use a default of 1hr IP lease, which is a pain in the back side. I would check this and change the channel your on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 7:46:08 PM EST by Bludd]
Mine does this too.

\Try leaving it unplugged over night.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:57:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 7:59:51 PM EST by Accuracy_With_Volume]
I had a similar problem. I have a linksys wrt-54g. I changed the wireless channel and no problems since, I think one or more of my neighbors might have had their routers on the same wireless channel I did.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:33 PM EST
2.4gig is shared by cameras, phones, microwave, some garage doors,car keys, etc...and if you are in a crowded area
other networks may interfere (if you are on the fringe of their reception).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Accuracy_With_Volume:
I had a similar problem. I have a linksys wrt-54g. I changed the wireless channel and no problems since, I think one or more of my neighbors might have had their routers on the same wireless channel I did.

http://www.zolved.com/UserFiles/Image/img2.jpg

What's the IP address to log in to the WRT-54G? I forgot it and I want to change my channel as I am having the same problem. Internet goes down a few times a day for 15 or 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:01 PM EST
You need to do a spectrum scan to see how much "noise" there is in the area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:24:29 PM EST by Taztwr]
Originally Posted By Sig_Fan:
What's the IP address to log in to the WRT-54G? I forgot it and I want to change my channel as I am having the same problem. Internet goes down a few times a day for 15 or 20 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:24:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sig_Fan:
Originally Posted By Accuracy_With_Volume:

http://www.zolved.com/UserFiles/Image/img2.jpg

192.168.1.1 is for all home-based routers. admin/admin are default userid/ password
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:41 PM EST
Check to see if it could be a hardware issue. I once had a Netgear brand WPN111 usb wireless adapter, and it had issues like you are describing. Turns out it was a defective product. Took it back to Best Buy for the next best downgrade, same brand. (trying to be consistent with my router) No problems since, and no real difference in performance.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:37 PM EST
Mine did this for a while too. My wireless connection would drop out several times a day. The only fix would be to reset the router. We would reset it five or six times a day, at minimum.

I tried about eighty different ways to fix it. In the end, just for shits and grins, I tried re-flashing my router with Tomato firmware. That fixed the problem. Now, I have about fifteen days worth of router uptime (and it's only that low because I lost power.)

Try it. It's free.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:22 PM EST
So why is it 192.168.1.1? A MCSE set one up at work using 192.168.168.1, and since then I'll use pretty much anything from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.168.1. It mostly depends on my mood.

The way to find out in a windows/dos based computer is type ipconfig into a command line. It will display your IP, Gateway IP and subnet mask.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:49:16 AM EST
Had the same problem spent 2 1/2 weeks talking to Bert in India or was it Fred anyway they kept telling me it was my router and sold me a new router. Great so now I have a brand spanking new router and I also use a voip service and have done for the last 2 1/2 years and had no problem and still I would lose my connection. So now they say it is the phone equipment so bought a new switcher from them and still the service sucked. Oh bye the way also had to buy a pay as you go cell phone to talk to Eric in India as after being in business and having that ball and chain attached to you 24 hrs 7 days a week it was nice to be free from it when we sold the business. So at least twice a day I would be calling Quest and still after changing all the equipment still crap service. Final call to quest went like this Qwest well it will be fixed by 4 o'clock tomorrow Me how come you have been giving me the run around for 2 1/2 weeks what makes you so sure it will be fixed and as you have kept saying it was my equipment how now when I have spent over 2 hundred bucks on new equipment you will have it fixed tomorrow, Quest well we will, and the next day a tec arrives at the house asks where the box was and what the problem was and said I know what that is. So he undid the box pulled out a fuse relay replaced fuse relay and in less that 5 minutes I was back on line .the phone worked and I was good to go and had no problems since. Customer service sucks with these monster Companies and I wont go into the crap I went through complaining at the amount of money I spent for them to fix their piece of crap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:54:34 AM EST
I had this problem at one point... have a Linksys router.

After a lot of frustration/research, I ended up disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service. My problem went away after that. I have had 5 other friends/co-workers that had the same problem and the fix worked for them as well.

Try it to see if it helps in your situation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:13:50 AM EST
Could be a lot of different things, what OS are you running? are you using the built in windows wireless to manage your connection or do you have other software installed running the connection? what kind of modem do you have? what lights are lit on the modem? are any of them flashing? does the light sequence on the modem change often?

If you have third party software installed and its not properly configured windows can be conflicting with it, thats one possibility.

The modem could be defective, or maybe needs to be reset in the proper sequence.

You might need to update some software.

Could be you need to change the channel like a previous posted said.

Most of the times i have seen things like this happen it has been software related with one program conflicting with another or not configured properly, some wireless management software requires profiles to be set up. There is a box you can check or uncheck in the windows wireless connection properties page that allows windows to control the connection or you can disable it, sometimes this is the issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:26:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Poincianacab:
Quest well we will, and the next day a tec arrives at the house asks where the box was and what the problem was and said I know what that is. So he undid the box pulled out a fuse relay replaced fuse relay and in less that 5 minutes I was back on line.

Which box has a relay fuse? I have Qwest w/ intermitent issues over the last few weeks.

THANKS
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:44:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 5:45:26 AM EST by phonegunner]
Go get this program for your laptop... it might be of assistance

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

The WIFI Inspector...

Ted...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:19:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By juan223:
Originally Posted By Poincianacab:
Quest well we will, and the next day a tec arrives at the house asks where the box was and what the problem was and said I know what that is. So he undid the box pulled out a fuse relay replaced fuse relay and in less that 5 minutes I was back on line.

Which box has a relay fuse? I have Qwest w/ intermitent issues over the last few weeks.

THANKS

Its the box outside the house where the phone line comes in.Tried resetting the modem it would work for 1/2 an hour then no internet or voip phone.Would turn the modem off wait 2 minutes turn it back on and back would come the internet then off it would go again. Very very frustrating and as I said kept being told it was my equipment when it was the bloody fuse relay.. Tried all the crap that others suggested and they replaced the damn fuse relay and have not had a problem since.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:21:07 AM EST
i'll be referencing this thread later...
Top Top