Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:09:09 PM EDT
Took my new walther p22 out to the range. It is brand new and has the newer improved magazines. Firing 2 handed and single handed (both strong and weak side) I had several failures to extract. The ammo was Federal "champion" .22 LR copper plated hollow point. I also had problems with getting consistent last round side hold open when shooting with two hands. However when I fired one handed no problem? What is going on here? Is this a magazine issue? Lack of lube? (I put a very light coat of CLP on when I cleaned it after buying it 3 weeks ago).
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First, see if you have the "new" style extractor. Check out rimfire central (walther forum), and to a wiki search on walther P22, there is a link to a PDF  "P-22 bible". They need some tweaking to run 100%.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep your thumb off the slide and you wont have the problem you described.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
there was a thread here quite some time ago labeled " How I made my p22 not suck" or something like that.

it covered extraction.

long story short,  these pistols pretty much suck.  they have all sorts of issues.  Mine's slide broke in half while shooting and clocked me in the head.

I only keep it cause it looks nice with a can on it but other than that, it sucks butt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
there was a thread here quite some time ago labeled " How I made my p22 not suck" or something like that.

it covered extraction.

long story short,  these pistols pretty much suck.  they have all sorts of issues.  Mine's slide broke in half while shooting and clocked me in the head.

I only keep it cause it looks nice with a can on it but other than that, it sucks butt.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=27&t=13896
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine will only feed CCI, anything else it is one failure after another.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First, see if you have the "new" style extractor. Check out rimfire central (walther forum), and to a wiki search on walther P22, there is a link to a PDF  "P-22 bible". They need some tweaking to run 100%.

mine must be the exception to that rule.

it has run 100% with no modifications whatsoever. (unless you count adding a can to it)

Only failures have been finicky .22 ammo not lighting, even after multiple hits.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have one(sold it to buy a Buck Mark), and it was only reliable with hypervelocity ammo. I fed it CCI Stingers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine runs 99% with Federal bulk pack.  

Most, if not all, of the cracked slides have been the 5" not the 3.5" versions.

Fun pistol IMO.

Just picked up three more mags (all they had) for mine locally for $16 each.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one from the Arkansas gun Mecca Trents about 8 months ago and it works great i'll be getting a can for it in about 4 more weeks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Ammo.  

Use CCI Minimags.  High Velocity.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Break it in with Stingers or Mini Mags.  If it's like mine, after a couple hundred Stingers, the gun will eat anything including the Federal Value packs.

Even good guns need a bit of breaking it (except maybe Glocks).  I'm not saying these are good guns (my Buckmark is 10 times the gun a P22 is)...........but they can be fun once the kinks are worked out.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
should have gotten a sig mosquito like i did
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine runs fine. I usually run it with a can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Exactly how is it failing to extract?

If it's not cycling far enough to throw the empty out, either the recoil spring is too strong or you need higher velocity ammo. It could also be that the slide to frame fit is too tight.

If the extractor is slipping over the rim, it could be several things. Rough chamber/weak extractor spring/broken extractor spring/not enough engagement on the case rim/improper dimensions on the ammo/etc..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Try different ammo types.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I had tons of failures to extract when I first got mine. It maybe would fire 2 rounds then stove pipe. I got frustated and started to pack up when I picked up the ammo I was using it said '.22 Short'. Palm was quickly applied to forehead, I grabbed the wrong ammo.

After some Stinger rounds through it, it runs a lot smoother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top