Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 6:23:59 AM EDT
Right now I just use an old #8 or #7 cast iron pot or dutch oven.
Thinking of getting something bigger as I can only do like 4 pieces of chicken or fish at a time.
Would a larger enameled cast iron dutch oven work as good as a regular cast iron one?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the regular cast iron but the enameled will work as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on something just to fry chicken or fish in.  When I fry chicken, I use a #14 Lodge pan...they're cheap and you can fit a lot of chicken in them.

I'm not a fan of the enameled stuff...I just don't see a reason when cast iron is easy to work with, won't chip, and can be re-seasoned if you mess it up.  Enameled, once it's chipped, it's chipped for life.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Dutch Ovens - either cast iron or aluminum, both work well for me but I prefer cast iron.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Walmart has a big 30$ fry pot w/temp control by degrees. Makes things easy, worth the money, IMO. It can be used for cooking other stuff, too, or keeping something like soup at a certain temp for a while.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a stainless steel wok, unless I'm doing small stuff, then I use cast iron.

Enameled pots and pans can chip off and end up in your food.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I use my cast iron pots and such for frying.  Helps keep them seasoned.  Get a good fry thermometer that clips onto the side of the pot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]

'Best' depends on your proximity to a current bush. Hard to plug in an electric fryer out in the sticks.
In civilization, I prefer the temperature control an electric fryer gives you....but in the sticks a deep dutch oven works pretty good, it's just hard to control the temperature on a campfire.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Dutch Ovens - either cast iron or aluminum, both work well for me but I prefer cast iron.

http://m7.i.pbase.com/g1/72/325172/2/126956707.mzCTLrsF.jpg

View Quote

Nice iron work there too!

ETA-   I usually do fish and hush puppies in my electric cooker;  it's got a wide temp range and can go from slow cooker to deep fry.  Its an el cheapo that was a gift but it works great for fried fish.  

Chicken goes in a tex sport cast iron chicken fryer.  Picture a big frying pan with tall sides complete with frying pan type handle and a deep lid.   I wouldn't have bought it myself but the high sides are nice to keep the splatter off the stove a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top