Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:
Shotgun!

Don't worry, I have that covered.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:53:51 PM EDT
^up^ this a quick and easy poll
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:54:07 PM EDT

Shotgun!

The ONLY people in my experience who make this recommendation are the ones who have never actually fired a shotgun indoors.

The sound and the concusion from a 12 ga. blast off the walls of a tight hallway is truly remarkable.

For inside I'd strongly recommend a pistol caliber carbine (9mm or .45). It will be more accurate and generally have a higher magazine capacity than a handgun. And it won't be as disorienting as a rifle or shotgun with regard to muzzle flash, discharge noise levels and reflected sound and shock. Usually less smoke to obscure your vision as well.

Plus a pistol caliber carbine allows for rapid target acquisition and engagement of multiple targets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 7:05:14 PM EDT by DagNasty]
Last bump cause im gonna buy 190 rounds of this stuff tomorrow

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT

Shotgun!

+1! All you have to do is rack the slide and the criminal will die of a stroke from outright fear!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:15:42 PM EDT
I would most certainly go for the heavier bullet. Would the HP even begin to open up at 10ft?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:24:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Shotgun!

The ONLY people in my experience who make this recommendation are the ones who have never actually fired a shotgun indoors.

The sound and the concusion from a 12 ga. blast off the walls of a tight hallway is truly remarkable.

For inside I'd strongly recommend a pistol caliber carbine (9mm or .45). It will be more accurate and generally have a higher magazine capacity than a handgun. And it won't be as disorienting as a rifle or shotgun with regard to muzzle flash, discharge noise levels and reflected sound and shock. Usually less smoke to obscure your vision as well.

Plus a pistol caliber carbine allows for rapid target acquisition and engagement of multiple targets.

G19 with 33 rounds of 147gr. Speer Gold Dots
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:26:29 PM EDT

Shotgun!

Steve Moses, who is a well known instructor gave a block of instructiuon of shotgun use at a class I recently went to. A fist sized buck load can be very effective. We arent' talking about racking-runoff level of instuction.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT

Shotgun!

Steve Moses, who is a well known instructor gave a block of instructiuon of shotgun use at a class I recently went to. A fist sized buck load can be very effective. We arent' talking about racking-runoff level of instuction.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:28:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

Shotgun!

He gave the instruction twice?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:29:04 PM EDT
You didnt add --Sweet Ninja Skillz-- on the poll.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:29:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:29:18 PM EDT
XM193
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:32:33 PM EDT
I STILL say a 12 gauge shotgun.

MASSIVE stopping power.

For one thing, you are responsible for every round you fire and in a suburban setting, a rifle or powerful handgun can punch through walls with ease.

It's be a damned shame to miss a perp and find out you killed the neighbors kid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:02:24 PM EDT
Jeez I come back and it's still this close Bump and hopefully ARFCOM can collectively make up their mind.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT by DagNasty]

Originally Posted By piccolo:

MASSIVE stopping power.

For one thing, you are responsible for every round you fire and in a suburban setting, a rifle or powerful handgun can punch through walls with ease.

It's be a damned shame to miss a perp and find out you killed the neighbors kid.

This is 190 rounds for SHTF until my family can load up more mags.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:11:19 PM EDT

For inside I'd strongly recommend a pistol caliber carbine (9mm or .45).

Specially the suppressed ones.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:12:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brouhaha:
I wonder how many people saw the "45" and stopped reading.

The 45gr rounds are designed for VARMINTS.

A human is not a varmint.

Isn't 45 gr like only about 15 gr more than a pellet rifle pellet??

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:14:49 PM EDT
Also I put home-defense 'cause this will happen:

Orginally posted by :
190 rounds isn't SHTF ammo!

I really mean 190 loaded in magazines and another 500 loose in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:16:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By piccolo:

MASSIVE stopping power.

Old_Painless did some experiments with this, and determined neither buckshot nor XM193 expend their energy quickly after passing through walls. Both passed through the equivalent of (I think) four walls and continued out of the experiment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
55gr FMJ

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:22:45 PM EDT
Fuck it, I'm going to sleep and I'll get both.

The winner gets 100 rounds loaded in a C-mag and the loser gets 90 rounds in 3 magazines.

I've seen what those 45grs can do (very impressive) and that's why it's even a poll.

Thanks for voting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:33 PM EDT

Hornady 75 grain TAP if you can find it, BH 77grain HPBT SMK if you can't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:51 PM EDT

Shotgun!

Not to hijack, but what pistol caliber carbine do you have in mind? Beretta Storm, Marlin camp carbine, Hi-point, Rugers PC-9/40??
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:29:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jollyroger:

Shotgun!

snip.

Not to hijack, but what pistol caliber carbine do you have in mind? Beretta Storm, Marlin camp carbine, Hi-point, Rugers PC-9/40??

Uzi. Accept no substitute.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:23 PM EDT

Shotgun!

I've fired a 12 bore indoors without hearing protection twice and still keep and recommend one for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

Shotgun!

I'm not saying a shotgun isn't effective.

I'm saying if you shoot a shotgun in a tight hallway indoors you will wish you hadn't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jollyroger:

Shotgun!

My pics are HK MP5 or MP5K PDW.

Obviously you could also go with a HK94 or a SBR of the same. I'd also be very comfortable with a AR6450 Colt. Beretta Storms and Uzis are also nice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:22:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigdb1:

Shotgun!

I've fired a 12 bore indoors without hearing protection twice and still keep and recommend one for home defense.

I've heard of people in San Francisco that have shoved rodents up their ass and continue with the practice. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Seriously you didn't find it a bit disorienting?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:24:20 PM EDT
I live in a brick house. And our kids sleep with us (for now). In any event I would be responsible for all the expended rounds and there would be plenty. Like the saying goes....Anything worth shooting once.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:28:24 PM EDT
I would read the Ammo Oracle. Great info there on just these types of questions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:33:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigdb1:

Shotgun!

I've heard of people in San Francisco that have shoved rodents up their ass and continue with the practice. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Seriously you didn't find it a bit disorienting?

At the time I didn't even notice the blast. I was focused elsewhere. My ears rang for quite some time afterwards though. Anyway, target practice with pistols on an indoor range seems louder, but there I'm focused on the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:48:08 AM EDT
Neither for in-home defense.
FMJ? that thing will prolly go through the assailant and 3 more walls....
Go with a heavy soft tipped hollow point.
eg. Federal personal defense rds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:02:52 AM EDT
neither will very well in a Remington 870 (voted worlds best home defense)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:14:21 AM EDT
Hornady TAP
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:05:44 PM EDT

Shotgun!

Well durr, thats why I just use my special coke bottle silencer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cdhicks99:
Neither for in-home defense.
FMJ? that thing will prolly go through the assailant and 3 more walls....
Go with a heavy soft tipped hollow point.
eg. Federal personal defense rds.

Box of Truth

Top Top