Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:14:36 AM EDT
I just read that a barrel of oil is now up to $65.  This is the highest it has ever been.   Regular gas around me is around $2.35.

I know that we need to work hard on alternative fuels, conservation, and nuclear energy.  Even if we ever get to drill the ANWAR, it will take 10 years to start seeing some benefits.

So what can we do about these skyrocketing oil and gas prices that we don't have to wait a decade to see?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Colonize the middle east.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
drill syria, saudi arabia.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Walk
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Drive less.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Drill in ANWR and off the coast of California and Florida.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not govt. subsidies, They subsidise everything else.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle, and stop burning oil for heat.  Switch to gas or electric.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Lose the V8/V10/Hemi or whatever and get a 4 cyl. I went back to a Toyota 4wd, 25 mpg is better than 12.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry, Hillary will fix it
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Since we are getting zero return on our investment in Iraq, I suggest we take their oil.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#11]
If you assume trhat gas is up $0.30 a gallon.......

I burn less than 20 gallons a week. 20 X $0.30 = $6.00

There are 52 weeks in a year. Total annual cost of the gas increase for me: $312

I'm not sweating it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lose the V8/V10/Hemi or whatever and get a 4 cyl. I went back to a Toyota 4wd, 25 mpg is better than 12.

Not when you need 4 more cyclanders it ain't

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't worry, Hillary will fix it

Oh, thank God.  I'll stop worrying then.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Nothing, for real. IMHO.

We are stuck.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Using my figures above ($312 additional cost of gas increase) I could save a whopping $153 a year if I switch from my powerhouse fullsize American gas guzzler to a yamasaki I'll get there before Christmas import tonka toy.

I'm heading to the Toyota dealership right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I honestly think we should save those for last.
Drain everbody else first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Free Iraqi crude for US tankers
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a bike for short distance commuting and local trips.  Helps cut down your use of gasoline, thus saving you money.  You can even consider buying a scooter which are more fuel efficient than the hybrid cars.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using my figures above ($312 additional cost of gas increase) I could save a whopping $153 a year if I switch from my powerhouse fullsize American gas guzzler to a yamasaki I'll get there before Christmas import tonka toy.

Using your figures above I figured you would save about $1200 a year overall assuming gas was about $2.30 a gallon. 20 gallons a week = $2392 a year.  10 gallons a week = $1196.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I honestly think we should save those for last.
Drain everbody else first.

That thought has occurred to me too.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I think one of the problems is we are always looking for short term fixes. I would rather get some long term going so my son doesnt have to worry about this stuff when he is a car owner/ home owner/ etc...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Nuke their ass...take their gas....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#23]

So what can we do about these skyrocketing oil and gas prices that we don't have to wait a decade to see?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Instead of driving use the new leather personnel carrier's service!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#25]
1. Remove the EPA restrictions that require multiple gas blends for various states and regions.  There are something like 60 different grades of gasoline produced, from what I hear on the radio.
If this is true, allowing the refineries to produce 15 different blends should ease production costs.

2. If the government is going to subsidize something, do a subsidized Federal loan to build a couple refineries on closed military bases.  Increase production.  Cost will come down.  

Number 1 is a short-term fix.  
Number 2 is a long-term fix.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

www.ross.navy.mil/images/web%20photos/gwcsg%202004.jpg

What?  Burn more of it up moving ships around?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
- Build more refineries in the US. The tree hugers fixed it so that we can't and now we have to buy it refined as opposed to doing it here.

- Stop building more gas stations. When have you ever see a gas station so backed up that you thought, man, this block need a gast station on every corner. They're always buildling new gas stations. I can't quite see the point.

- Not only drill for oil in the US but take it out of the ground. It's my understanding (and I have no sources to back this up infortunately) that there are capped oil wells all over the US that "we" refuse to pump out of the ground for fear of using it all up or something. I'm fairly confident we'll have come up with a better course of energy/power ong before we ever use up all of the oil under N. America.

- Nuclear power, Solar Power, Wind Mills (unless they block the Kennedy's view), prisoners on treadmills... can all supply power without the need for Middle Eastern Oil.

NEXT!!! What other problems do you need me to solve?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
- Not only drill for oil in the US but take it out of the ground. It's my understanding (and I have no sources to back this up infortunately) that there are capped oil wells all over the US that "we" refuse to pump out of the ground for fear of using it all up or something. I'm fairly confident we'll have come up with a better course of energy/power ong before we ever use up all of the oil under N. America.

I'd really like to see us working on a real long term fix right now.
But, I'd much rather that we keep our strategic reserve until all other resources are used, rather than dipping into it to cut costs just a little.

I'd rather we still have oil within our borders when everyone else is out.

They may come for us, but how will they get here?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Colonize the middle east.

Sgatr15

Might be a piece of glass first but we can drill through glass.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I just read that a barrel of oil is now up to $65.  This is the highest it has ever been.   Regular gas around me is around $2.35.

I know that we need to work hard on alternative fuels, conservation, and nuclear energy.  Even if we ever get to drill the ANWAR, it will take 10 years to start seeing some benefits.

Eliminate the various formulation requirements.  This is the single biggest barrier to the free market.

Suspend or reduce taxes.

Cure the political instability.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why not govt. subsidies, They subsidise everything else.

Because then your (or my) taxes will go up.  I don't want to pay extra taxes for someone else to have cheaper gas.

We are already doing it to some extent with the whole ethanol thing, and it really sucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eliminate the various formulation requirements.  This is the single biggest barrier to the free market.

Suspend or reduce taxes.

You forgot to add "Provide World Peace."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought a 94 Geo Metro for $1,000 and parked my 03 Dodge Durango.  Now I get 38mpg!!!!  It ain't sexy but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suspend or reduce taxes.

Screw world peace.  You do understand that the price of oil is partially based on the uncertainty that we will comtinue to receive imports right?

A little sugar in the right places, and a little heavyhandedness in other places will help ease the "fear premium" that is on oil right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw world peace.  You do understand that the price of oil is partially based on the uncertainty that we will comtinue to receive imports right?

A little sugar in the right places, and a little heavyhandedness in other places will help ease the "fear premium" that is on oil right now.

I suspect that he meant it would be just as easy to provide world peace as it would be to provide political stability in the middle east.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Great suggestion!  Have you ever seen a map of all the different required gas blends by geographic area?  It looks like Jackson Pollack went at it on a map while he was high on Meth.

If not eliminating it, at least simplify it.  I can understand pollution-prone areas like LA wanting cleaner-burning stuff without having to penalize Nebraska with higher-cost gas, so I can see having about 3-4 different blends, but anything more than that is just unnecessary.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
They may come for us, but how will they get here?

"Row row row your boat..."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
- Build more refineries in the US.

How would more US gas refineries result in a decrease in crude oil prices?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great suggestion!  Have you ever seen a map of all the different required gas blends by geographic area?  

Even making the most expensive California blend the stadard for all of north america would be cheaper than having 50 or more different blends. Might cut down some pollution too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

did you get F's in your junior high math classes?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Best way to fix the problem is to prosecute the oil company executives who are in 'profiteering' mode.

Some of the oil companies are posting profits that are up 20-35%, with gas at an all time high.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Offer incentives for employees to work from home if they can. 90% of what I do can be done in my office at home. I can log into our network, got a couple of cell phones, fax machine, and high speed internet. Instead, I drive 40 miles a day to do the same thing from my office.

My company has 17,000+ employees in the US. 350 at this office alone.  In my department of 12, only one has to be here every day. I need to be here for 1-1/2 days this week, and only one day next week. Everything else I could do from home.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't see anything increasing supply in the short-term, so the answer is reducing demand.  Drive less miles, drive more efficient vehicles, and use alternative fuels if you can.

I'd never tell someone what to drive, but I have no problem pointing out how much money some people spend on "cheap gas."  At current prices, I spend about $1084 to drive 20k miles in a year in my Golf, buying diesel.  A pick-up truck getting 16mpg on regular unleaded gasoline would cost $2750.  That's over $1600 difference, or nearly $140/month.  Certainly not going to break the bank, but $140/month seems a lot less "cheap" than a few cents at the pump.

Buying a new vehicle to save money on gas will almost never work out, especially when you consider added insurance, etc.  But if you're looking already, at least consider it!

I'm moving to Texas towards the end of the month, and I've already found my biodiesel source. :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Best way to fix the problem is to prosecute the oil company executives who are in 'profiteering' mode.

Some of the oil companies are posting profits that are up 20-35%, with gas at an all time high.

Suppose you are selling 100 lbs of cheese/day at market price.  Lets say it is $6.90 a pound.  You make $690 revenue  Your cost was $600 since you work for 15%.  What was your profit?

$90.00

Now lets say that the market undergoes changes.  Now the demand has increased for your particular cheese.  You are now selling 150 pounds/day.  Your cost has risen to $7 per pound, and you still work for 15%.  Do you know what your new profits are?

$157.50

You should be prosecuted!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#45]
natural gas car that fills overnight at your house off your home gas line.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suppose you are selling 100 lbs of cheese/day at market price.  Lets say it is $6.90 a pound.  You make $690 revenue  Your cost was $600 since you work for 15%.  What was your profit?

$90.00

Now lets say that the market undergoes changes.  Now the demand has increased for your particular cheese.  You are now selling 150 pounds/day.  Your cost has risen to $7 per pound, and you still work for 15%.  Do you know what your new profits are?

$157.50

You should be prosecuted!

Yep.

People that cry about "profiteering" must have failed economics.

The "oil executives" do not control the profit margin.  The market place does.

(Our schools need to do a better job of teaching economics.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yeah right.  There are SOOooooo many of those available, and what is your cost per mile?  Is your NG free?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

There's a great idea!!!!!

And where does that "natural gas" come from?

Oh.

That's right.

From crude oil wells or as a by-product of gasoline production.

Never mind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a great idea!!!!!

And where does that "natural gas" come from?

Oh.

That's right.

From crude oil wells or as a by-product of gasoline production.

Never mind.

Absolutely, if you are going to get away from pertroleum, you have to get a fuel cell vehicle, or an electric vehicle that is charged with renewable energy.

Both available solutions have their own sets of problems.  Figure them out, and make a ton of money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#50]
dont know if you guys have talked about alcohol fuel.  they have it here ata few pumps, it is called e85, 85% alcohol.  or biodesil from soy plants.  both renewable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top