Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 9:10:46 AM EDT
I would like to purchase a used CBR in the near future, but I don't quite know what is a lot of miles for one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The motor in a modern sportbike will last a very long time, given the very high redline, and it's tight tolerances. However, a bike thats been beaten into the ground, could be worn out with as little as 15,000 miles. Try and find one thats been owned by someone responsible, or better yet, one that the owner bought it, rode it, got scared, now wnats out of it. I see a lot of those here in the valley.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd always recommend meeting the previous owner.  Young isn't always bad, as I've seen some 40+ guys thrash a bik in a manner that would scare the crap out of a potential purchaser.

Look for maintenance records, and any damage to the bodywork that isn't attended to.  It's amazing how many "mint" bikes have scratched and cracked bodywork, bent levers, etc. when you see them in person.

Other places to check are the tires (worn in the center with lots of unused "chicken strips" at the endge of each tire are primo), the steering stops where the triple clamps contact the frame at full lock (a bend or scoring here indicates a bike that has had the steering pulled to full lock in an accident), and the all-important maintenance records.

I'd like a low mileage (3K miles per year) from a guy in a well-to-do neighborhood in his 30s or 40s.  You have hit the jackpot if it's been garaged all its life, and has tastefule modifications (suspension, brake line and tires).  These guys ride BMWs or Honda VFRs.

The worst - from a 20 year old, who needs to sell it for college money, or because he got too many tickets.  Deduct points if it spent its life in a carport or parked on the steet.  A too-loud pipe is a poor modification, in my book.  Most of these guys are drawn to GSX-Rs.

Look a lot - here in Los Angeles, there are plenty on the market, and you can pass on any questionable bike.  Look, look and look some more.  When you find the right model, you'll know it.

Best of luck - what modem and year CBR are you looking for, and where are you?  I have a '99 VFR, and it's a great bike.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a '97 cnr 600. Honda'a are bad about the timing belt or chain getting loose. You will hear a tick tick noise at idle. From what I hear this is expensive and that is the first thing to go on the CBR's. If you hear a tick at idle plan and putting $$$ in it.Mine has 10k and no tick, but the honda guru told me that was unusual since I ride the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I race cbr's and the tick can be fixed witha manual cam chain tensioner frome APE performance.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top