Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2011 2:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 2:07:11 PM EDT by Chevyguy1911]
I am a college student looking to pick up some extra money. I work the standard 40hr/week, but would like to pick up some extra income over the next few months. I want to utilize my summer break, and my next semester as I have a fairly easy course load coming up. I pay for my classes out of pocket, so any money is good money.

Pizza Delivery is a no go, as I have a 3/4ton pickup. I think fuel prices would eat into any profit.

Any ideas? Something laid back would be ideal, would prefer a more isolated temp job considering the volume I deal with customers daily burns me out. And it would have to be evenings as well(5pm to whatever)

I know I can't be picky, but this is just a side job that won't go past 5 months. However I cant think of much beyond delivery.

I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:07:26 PM EDT
Prostitute.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:08:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tahawus:
Prostitute.

S'what I do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:08:05 PM EDT
Prostitute.

Ya really think I am purdy enough?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:08:16 PM EDT
Lot lizard.

You can get free rides all over the country too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:09:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bblake00:
Lot lizard.

You can get free rides all over the country too.

This is true.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:11:06 PM EDT
First reply and all that jazz....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:14:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By unknownhavoc:
First reply and all that jazz....

Have first hand experience at that career, eh?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:14:58 PM EDT
tutor???

Either way.... I'm taggin this as it applies to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:16:09 PM EDT
You can earn a good amount of money with this uniform.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:16:40 PM EDT
Bartender?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:17:00 PM EDT

Online pok.....wait, never mind.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:17:17 PM EDT
Drug dealer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:25:57 PM EDT
serious reply?

Janitor at your current place of employment. you're already there, no commute. I've done this, extra pocket change. It allowed me to pick up some overtime on 2nd shift that I would have missed otherwise. I looked at it as an exercise program, with pay. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months. Summer shooting schedule picked up so I dropped it and gained the 20 back.

Fred
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:31:54 PM EDT
If your grocery store has full meat dept...well somebody has to clean that up every day starting around 400 - when you get done. About three or four hours of labor

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:35:26 PM EDT
If you are good at something, teach it for 10-20/hr. List of things include:

Guitar
Math
Science
History
Singing

If you are really good, charge more. Find local highschools or churches and try to put some feelers out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:35:53 PM EDT
Wait tables and make more than 10 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:34 PM EDT

pizza delivery
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:47:34 PM EDT
Waiting tables could be a good option. I have some friends that work at FedEx or UPS loading the trucks for a little extra cash.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:48:24 PM EDT
maybe there's a small yardwork company that wants a summer grunt
teach as mentioned before (tutor i suppose)
invest some of your money if you feel like it

I'm in the same spot as you. I'm doing 40 a week in a bus shop, but i'm looking for something on the side
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:54:21 PM EDT
College kid. Throw cases at UPS/FedEx. Mindless workout kind of job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:54:39 PM EDT
Look at picking up a job at your school, specifically under a professor who likes you. Sometimes they can work you in if they don't havea TA, and you can just grade papers in the evenings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:00:20 PM EDT
Prostitute.

This is always a good choice. I'm trying to get in on a 3rd shift, like gas station cashier or something. Nothing yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:04:14 PM EDT
home depot night freight
7:45-midnight 5 days a week.
$10/hr.
listen to your ipod while you stock shelves
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:11:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chevyguy1911:
Prostitute.

Ya really think I am purdy enough?

Yo mouf is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:14:00 PM EDT
Did you check the computer labs on campus? That was the best p/t job at my school because you could study while babysitting the computers/printers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:16:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fredshort:
serious reply?

Janitor at your current place of employment. you're already there, no commute. I've done this, extra pocket change. It allowed me to pick up some overtime on 2nd shift that I would have missed otherwise. I looked at it as an exercise program, with pay. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months. Summer shooting schedule picked up so I dropped it and gained the 20 back.

Fred

I clean a dental office 1 hour before I have to be at my real job at 7:30 am. They are only 1/2 mile apart, but I live 40 miles away and this gets me way ahead of rush hour traffic in the morning.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:16:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 3:18:17 PM EDT by raven]
The folks at my work have frequent lunch meetings, which means catering. It's usually something lame like sandwiches or pasta. At the potucks, my food always gets a lot of positive feedback. So this week I am going to look into catering for these Noon lunches and start my own small company. I'll take the day off to do it, hold down my regular job, and do small-scale catering on the side.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:17:24 PM EDT
I worked a gas station for a little while last year. It doesn't require much in the way of skill so the pay isn't that great, but it's easy and you can study while you're not running the cash register.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:18:40 PM EDT
Bartender/waiter, retail night shift, hotel evening shift, dorm security, phone bank job at a local service center
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:18:54 PM EDT
guy I work with (who pulls down well over 100k) has a side job at Home Depot. They must be very flexible with shifts, as we work swing shifts here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:22:25 PM EDT
Stocking shelves or janitor type work is good for part time. I've noticed our local hotels placing alot of wanted ads. Can't say I'd be eager to clean up hotel rooms though...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:25:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rc2:

This, x100. UPS especially - their twilight shift is especially oriented toward students.

Look for a job as an "unloader" - it's completely physical. No brainpower involved. Loading involves figuring out where to place boxes while building a "wall" of packages - yes, there actually is a technique to it, and you get evaluated on it. That shift also has jobs sorting, which involved reading states and zipcodes, with the label in any position, and sending them to the correct conveyor belt. Unloading? Just get the shit out of the vehicle without breaking it.

Also, DO NOT accept a promotion to part-time supervisor. You will earn less money and your stress will skyrocket. And you CANNOT move back to hourly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:28:28 PM EDT
I hooked a guy up a while back. He went and got his EMT at a 4 month school, and I got him job at my company soon after making 21 bucks an hour. He quit his old job and does it nearly full time now. EMS may pay lower in your area though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:31:23 PM EDT
If you are mechanically inclined and can work with your hands, packing parachutes at your local drop zone is killer money.
I taught my son to pack chutes when he was 13 years old and he averages about $150-$200 per day, Saturdays and Sundays.
We have mostly college kids packing at our d..z. You get paid CASH by the jumper at a rate of $6.00 per sport rig ( Easy to do three per hour) and $12.00 per tandem (about two per hour).
It's dang good money but a lot of responsibility.
Check your local directory and see if you have a skydiving center close by, if so, now's the perfect time to get hired because the season is just getting started.
Good luck
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:36:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BASE-RIGGER:
If you are mechanically inclined and can work with your hands, packing parachutes at your local drop zone is killer money.
I taught my son to pack chutes when he was 13 years old and he averages about $150-$200 per day, Saturdays and Sundays.
We have mostly college kids packing at our d..z. You get paid CASH by the jumper at a rate of $6.00 per sport rig ( Easy to do three per hour) and $12.00 per tandem (about two per hour).
It's dang good money but a lot of responsibility.
Check your local directory and see if you have a skydiving center close by, if so, now's the perfect time to get hired because the season is just getting started.
Good luck

Yup. You can make some quick cash at this. It paid for my A license and many jumps and partial rig doing that for a couple seasons. Also jumping is like guns, you'll spend all your cash there, be advised.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By readytorock556:
I hooked a guy up a while back. He went and got his EMT at a 4 month school, and I got him job at my company soon after making 21 bucks an hour. He quit his old job and does it nearly full time now. EMS may pay lower in your area though.

About $9/hour around here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:45:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:
Originally Posted By readytorock556:

About $9/hour around here.

That's bad.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:48:15 PM EDT
Somebody advertised a $10 an hour gardening job on Craigslist. I emailed him about it. We'll see if anything happens. See if there's any kind of odd job work out there on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:48:52 PM EDT
Firearms instructor.

Ask me how I know...

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:19:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Firearms instructor.

Ask me how I know...

I had thought of doing CCW classes. I guess you just do the NRA basic pistol instructor coarse?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:22:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Firearms instructor.

Ask me how I know...

How is that? I've thought about getting my NRA certs to teach some weekend classes. Worth while? Avg weekend take?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:55:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By rc2:

This, x100. UPS especially - their twilight shift is especially oriented toward students.

Look for a job as an "unloader" - it's completely physical. No brainpower involved. Loading involves figuring out where to place boxes while building a "wall" of packages - yes, there actually is a technique to it, and you get evaluated on it. That shift also has jobs sorting, which involved reading states and zipcodes, with the label in any position, and sending them to the correct conveyor belt. Unloading? Just get the shit out of the vehicle without breaking it.

Also, DO NOT accept a promotion to part-time supervisor. You will earn less money and your stress will skyrocket. And you CANNOT move back to hourly.

UPS is fun, but that job will completely kick your ass. You can and will make a hell of a lot more money with less stress and strain by waiting tables.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2011 7:41:42 AM EDT by PeteCO]
Think outside the proverbial box. I don't know about you, but I work as little as possible to maximize time with my family.

With that in mind, don't simply perform labor, use creativity and a little pocket change to make it worth your while.

Here's a starter, something I used to do from time to time:

Buy an older mobile home for $2500-$5000 cash. Drop another thousand into it (or less) to fix up the busted up stuff, clean up the yard, etc.

List it for sale, "easy qualifying". Get a few thousand down, carry the note. You can even sell the note if you want. I buy such notes from time to time. With your markup on the sales price in addition to the interest on the loan you may find your 3-5 year note pays you quite handsomely.

Also, it's sometimes worth it to consult in your field of expertise for smaller companies. For example, most small companies don't have the position I do in my day job. When the need the "big gun", I consult. Charge for your time accordingly. I bear in mind that an IT printer tech costs about $90 per hour around here, so if a company is in a bind and needs a "rent-a-CFO" then I charge quite a bit more.

You could mow lawns, and it might just blossom into a venture making more than your day job.

Know how to work on cars? Buy a car with a bad engine or transmission, put a used one in, resell for profit.

And so on.

I guess the point is this - since you already have the secure job, use your spare time to take a little bit of risk and do something on your own.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:01:41 AM EDT
I always recommend for people to speak to their current employer about picking up any extra hours they may have. You will always make more money and save more time and have less hassle just making more from your current job if possible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:02:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:03:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:05:35 AM EDT
Prostitute.

Yes, but setup shop in a nursing home.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:07:49 AM EDT
I do one or two weekends a month as a range officer at a local range. Pay is good, meet some awesome people and if you have the right certs, you can teach as well for even more money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:08:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By flyfishnepa:

pizza delivery

Let me guess, you have 24000 posts because you don't actually read the OP and just spit out whatever is on your mind?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top