Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
What is average? What is good? What numerical score (or below) constitutes "dumbass?"
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Average is 100, standard deviation around 15 - 16.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
below 70 is considered retarded
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
below 70 is considered retarded

Hence the putdown "room temperature IQ."
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Bastard.    
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

beat you by 9 seconds!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Someone already said that. WTF does "87" mean, anyway?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
from here

Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ          Description      % of Population
130+      Very superior      2.2%
120-129  Superior             6.7%
110-119  High average     16.1%
90-109    Average            50%
80-89      Low average      16.1%
70-79      Borderline          6.7%
Below 70  Extremely low    2.2%
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
100 is the number used for average.  I score between 127 and 133 depending on the test.  I have taken several.  I dont know why I wasted the time adn money to do so but I am sure it was not because I am a dumbass!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
from here

Look, a bell curve.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
from here

I took some IQ test in college that the psych dept sponsored.  Said I scored 162..  Also tookj the standard one they give you in HS said I scored 140 or something.. Either way I have made many a stupid mistake in my day.  Feel more like 20 lately.  I dont think these things actually mean anything.  According to some I'm on par with Einstein, which I know I am not..
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
from here

Yeehawww!!! I'm almost a fookin' genius...

Now, if I could only add two and two and get four...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
from here

Yeehawww!!! I'm almost a fookin' genius...

Now, if I could only add two and two and get four...

You just did!  I think you are doing well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Nobody needs to tell there IQ scores Here. We already know that all ARFcom members score above 130. All ARFcom Members also shoot sub MOA offhand all day long too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nobody needs to tell there IQ scores Here. We already know that all ARFcom members score above 130. All ARFcom Members also shoot sub MOA offhand all day long too.

LOL!

I was making a point that I think they are useless..  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't forget all of those 800+ credit scores.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And supermodel girlfriends...

And 1500+ SAT scores...

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I took some little BS IQ test online that says it usually rates people within 10 points or so...

scored 130.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 1500+ SAT scores...

I was just on a committee to review candidates for some scholarship we offer - and all of the five finalists were within 50 points of 1600 on the SAT (and two of them had 1600 scores) - in addition to all their other impressive achievements.  

Heck, the AVERAGE score for our incoming undergrad class this year is over 1400.  There are some damn smart kids out there these days.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

every man's penis casts a long shadow on the internet
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 1500+ SAT scores...

I was just on a committee to review candidates for some scholarship we offer - and all of the five finalists were within 50 points of 1600 on the SAT (and two of them had 1600 scores) - in addition to all their other impressive achievements.  

Heck, the AVERAGE score for our incoming undergrad class this year is over 1400.  There are some damn smart kids out there these days.  

Yes, but what are their screen names on ARFcom?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 1500+ SAT scores...

Yes, but what are their screen names on ARFcom?

They're smart all right - but I'm not sure they are smart enough to be on arfcom.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#25]
the use of a single, static "IQ" number is yesterday's science.  it has been discovered--in not so recent years--that one's intellect is actually comprised of several intelligence quotients representing various aspects of the intellect.  it is quite possible to be a "genius" in the arts (spatial relationships, design, etc) while being deficient in other areas.  everyone has at least one area in which they are above average.  so take heart, dummies of the world, you may very well be a genius in the janitorial arts , food service or sanitary engineering.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
IQ is a valid measure.

I score 145-155 on such tests, and I've done some unbelievably stupid things in my life too.

The difference is I only make the same mistake once, maybe twice.

My sister, adopted at birth with FAS, scores in the 80s.

She makes the same mistakes over and over and over again.

There are a couple of factors in IQ, some of it is genetic, some is education, some is environmental, even what you eat can affect your IQ score. Supposedly IQ is designed to exclude education and so on, but it doesn't really. A good education begins with methods of ordering and utilizing the mind, which makes it run faster, and time is the key factor in these tests.

Einstein was a complete fuckup most of the time, brilliant men often are. Mozart was a nut, Hitler had a high IQ.

Average IQ people tend to be happier and better adjusted than people on the edges of the bellcurve, they find it easier to relate to others and to deal with everyday things.

Low IQ types struggle to get by, high IQ types struggle to find fulfillment, to find a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
from here

Look, a bell curve.

Racist.

I love how liberals bend over backwards to discredit IQ meaning anything when it's painfully clear that there tends to be racial patterns to it.

But they love fabricating IQ inferences that liberals are smarter than Republicans.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the use of a single, static "IQ" number is yesterday's science.  it has been discovered--in not so recent years--that one's intellect is actually comprised of several intelligence quotients representing various aspects of the intellect.  it is quite possible to be a "genius" in the arts (spatial relationships, design, etc) while being deficient in other areas.  everyone has at least one area in which they are above average.  so take heart, dummies of the world, you may very well be a genius in the janitorial arts , food service or sanitary engineering.

FYI - a lot of the "emotional intelligence" stuff is psudo-science crap, if that is what you are talking about.

The academic work in this area is generally focused on GMA (General Mental Ability) as a concept.  However, GMA is generally very highly correlated with IQ and various standardized tests.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In grad school I earned money working in residence homes for retarded adults. We had a guy who was barely sentient who could tell you what day of the week any given date in history was. He would do it in under a second, and never got it wrong. He would also soil himself because he would forget to use the toilet.

I believe he illustrates your point.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
from here

Look, a bell curve.

Be careful, I hear those things are dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The only thing SAT or IQ scores can tell is that they are pretty good at taking IQ and SAT tests.

I don't think they measure how intelligent someone is.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
IQ is a valid measure.

I score 145-155 on such tests, and I've done some unbelievably stupid things in my life too.

Sounds like my brother.  He cannot learn to turn his goddamn lights off after he parks.  At least twice a month, he does this.  It's just infuriating.  Why can he not remember?  Why does he make no effort to even try to prevent this from happening?  Like Post-It notes on the wheel, anything.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look, a bell curve.

Racist.

I love how liberals bend over backwards to discredit IQ meaning anything when it's painfully clear that there tends to be racial patterns to it.

There is actually a legitimate problem in explaining WHY there is a racial pattern.  The pattern is clearly there, but understanding WHY it is there is actually a pretty complex question, and not easy or trivial to answer.  While there are obvious answer, there are also more sutble ones, and various plausible alternative explanations have to be eliminated before causal inferences can be drawn,
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 1500+ SAT scores...

Isn't the "new" SAT perfect score above 2000 now?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#35]
no, not emotional intelligence--more like right brain /left brain stuff.  some people are more predisposed to working with numbers--analytical reasoning--science, etc--while others are more adept at composing, designing buildings etc.  i'm not a psych major, so i can't readily recall the 5 or 6 areas of intelligence
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing SAT or IQ scores can tell is that they are pretty good at taking IQ and SAT tests.

I don't think they measure how intelligent someone is.

They don't measure how "intelligent" someone is - you are absolutely correct.  IQ tests measure this invented concept of "intelligence quotient" NOT actual intelligence.  SAT measures a variety of things (and I think they've just recently changed the format quite a bit).

But, the scores on IQ tests and SAT do tend to correlate very highly with measures of GMA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look, a bell curve.

Racist.

There is actually a legitimate problem in explaining WHY there is a racial pattern.  The pattern is clearly there, but understanding WHY it is there is actually a pretty complex question, and not easy or trivial to answer.  While there are obvious answer, there are also more sutble ones, and various plausible alternative explanations have to be eliminated before causal inferences can be drawn,

You and your fancy mumbo-jumbo. Why search for complex causations when Stormfront already knows the answer. Duh.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't the "new" SAT perfect score above 2000 now?

These were based on the 1600 point system - these kids were really impressive.

I don't know if the new SAT format goes to 2000.  It's possible they are moving to a new scoring system.   I'm VERY rarely involved in these kinds of things, and only did it this year because the Dean guilted me into it, so I'm not up on all the latest developments.  But they do mention the various stats in faculty meetings when they are bragging about how good we are doing (we are currently #2 in the nation in the SAT score of our incoming students, and hope to be #1 by next year or the year after - go team! )
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
IQ is a valid measure.

There are a couple of factors in IQ, some of it is genetic, some is education, some is environmental, even what you eat can affect your IQ score. Supposedly IQ is designed to exclude education and so on, but it doesn't really. A good education begins with methods of ordering and utilizing the mind, which makes it run faster, and time is the key factor in these tests.

Einstein was a complete fuckup most of the time, brilliant men often are. Mozart was a nut, Hitler had a high IQ.

Average IQ people tend to be happier and better adjusted than people on the edges of the bellcurve, they find it easier to relate to others and to deal with everyday things.

Low IQ types struggle to get by, high IQ types struggle to find fulfillment, to find a challenge.

Head shrinker tells me that.  I have a ough time being happy doing one thing.  And adjusting sometimes
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#40]
what college?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

They don't measure how "intelligent" someone is - you are absolutely correct.  IQ tests measure this invented concept of "intelligence quotient" NOT actual intelligence.  SAT measures a variety of things (and I think they've just recently changed the format quite a bit).

But, the scores on IQ tests and SAT do tend to correlate very highly with measures of GMA.

I am not so sure.  Most of that stuff is designed to make the testing companies millions, and doesn't accurately measure or correlate to anything.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
what college?

You want an application?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#43]
valkyrie---

i'm right there with you brother.   i am constantly striving for the final block on maslow's heirarchy, yet find self-actualization to be very elusive.  i am never satisified with myself or anything i do, and it does ultimately affect how i relate to others.

aw fuck it, who wants pie?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#44]
ARFCOM isn’t exactly a random sample of the general population. People with IQs below “low-average” aren’t likely to be posting on a forum like this. So the average IQ of ARFCOM might be in the 125 range. (Hard to believe, I know.)

But an IQ score can be very deceptive. Presumably the person was actually trying to score high on the IQ test so what is measured is what I call “Peak IQ” (Which is in no way related to “Peak Oil.”) It’s what you can do with your mind when you are trying.

But most people don’t walk around running their brains at peak. We get distracted, we get tired, we are just too lazy to concentrate, whatever. So our “Cruising IQ” is going to be significantly lower than our peak. So, the people who score lower on an IQ test might be smarter in their day to day life than the genius.

Incidentally there are a lot of other qualities besides intelligence that make a person successful, things like drive, ambition, motivation, emotional stability, etc. People with high IQs often have an easy time early on in school and therefore never develop the discipline and work ethic required to properly develop their minds.

For what it’s worth…

I don’t have any idea with how it got started but the number 87 has come to represent the answer to questions about arbitrary numbers.

How many magazines do I need for my rifle? – 87

How many firearms should I buy – 87

How many pushups should a man be able to do? – 87

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#45]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
what college?

You want an application?

i was just curious--i have been to college ad nauseum, thank you very much

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 14 inch penis.  Thick as a tuna can.  Also had sex with Margaret Thatcher back in the early '80s.  Left her begging for more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not so sure.  Most of that stuff is designed to make the testing companies millions, and doesn't accurately measure or correlate to anything.  

I honestly know nothing about how testing companies make money (obviously those SAT guys own the market!) - my passing familiarity is purely with the academic research side of it, and it's not a particular area of expertise for me.

But the research appears to be very clear (and this is something that academics have been researching for a long, long time) and IQ does correlate very highly with GMA, as do many standardized tests.  These aren't perfect correlations by any means, but pretty good proxy measures.

In fact, I just saw a presentation yesterday by the editor of the main empirical journal in the our field (who was visiting our department - had dinner with her last night, in fact), and she was talking about some of these various issues around intelligence.  Her focus was more on the application of some of this stuff, but we got to talk about GMA and some of these issues.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its something markm invented. Not sure what it means. Seems to have caught on here in a big way.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its something markm invented. Not sure what it means. Seems to have caught on here in a big way.

It is the answer to every stupid question.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

i was just curious--i have been to college ad nauseum, thank you very much

I was just funnin' with ya, not trying to be dismissive.  I'll IM you - I just don't want to identify myself too easily on arfcom (as least not in General Discussion).  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top