Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2016 5:23:51 PM EDT
I'm considering doing a Wink system for the house.  I'll start with the thermostat and door locks.  Who knows from there.  What is everyone's opinion?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it named JARVIS and voiced by Paul Bethany? If not I don't want it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not "automate" any device that involved home security like the door locks.  Hacks can happen.  Now, a thermostat?  You bet.  I did mine and love it.  Lights?  Sure.  No security threat there.

Use some judgement as to how susceptible you want to potentially be from hackers.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I operate a commercial building that uses an automation system and they are expensive and not at all trouble free.
What's wrong with a programmable thermostat and a door key??
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you properly secure your networks and dont ever use any default admin/password information...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My opinion is it's just one more thing to go wrong and have to fix or hire someone to fix.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Start with thermostat and a few lights and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
some of these systems tie into your wifi.

some of them tie into your security system (which should never be wifi, by the way).

personally, I dont need to spend $450 on thermostats that I can adjust from my cellphone.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

some of them tie into your security system (which should never be wifi, by the way).

personally, I dont need to spend $450 on thermostats that I can adjust from my cellphone.

View Quote

They start at $99
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I operate a commercial building that uses an automation system and they are expensive and not at all trouble free.
View Quote

I like the idea of being able to monitor that my doors are locked.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty big into electronic/computer/networking stuff.  With that said, the only home automation I have is a nice Honeywell timer on the switch that runs the lights on the front of my house.  An irrigation sprinkler system controller that I can access through the web on any device.  A complete surveillance system, which can be accessed through the web on any device, and a home media server system that can also be accessed through the web on any device (Plex).

I also have a home security system (home alarm) that is not 'automated' really.  I mean we turn it on an off there at the house, but no web features.   I can do alerts and stuff through my surveillance system if I wanted.

Each system is basically stand-alone, or separate from the other.

That's about it.  I've toyed around with further automation stuff, but I just haven't really found the need.  About the only other thing I've thought about is a web accessible thermostat.  I keep talking myself out of that as well though, because I only change the settings on my current thermostat like twice a year.  I do like being able to access my sprinkler system from anywhere though, and do use that quite a bit.

ETA:  I also have a nice, very thin portable USB monitor that hangs on my wall near the kitchen that displays live feeds of all my cameras, with the front door being the biggest, most prominent one, along with other info like current weather and forecast, calendar, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my dad a doorbell with a camera that he can answer from his phone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Samsung Smarthings with bulbs, switches, door/window sensor etc. Its been ok. I use an old Nexus tablet hanging on the wall as a controller.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An alarm system can notify you of an intrusion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still running a 16 year old X10 setup for lighting,and programmable thermostats.

Still works fine, but would like to update lighting control (wifi/iPad).
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Just more shit to break down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Housewife.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Not big on automating my door locks.

I have seen some of the wifi dead bolts.  They look really cool and probably work really well.  IDK  it's just me

However if someone wants in your house I doubt the will be Internet hackers going in through the front door.

All else I am in for automation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just more shit to break down.
View Quote

And expensive as shit when it does.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Love the concept but never been able to find anything that is actually useful for me.

Cool yes, useful, no.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone post up some systems please.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
HomeSeer is what you are looking for.

I would never implement any consumer product that auto-links itself to the cloud, like many of the door locks and home monitoring systems out there now.

It's a hefty startup price, but in my opinion the only way to do it. You have complete control over how the system functions, what's available external etc. Your home automation system should be completely on-premise for security reasons.

Avoid wireless controlled devices if at all possible, but z-wave is probably the most secure bet for controlled deadbolts etc. I'd still sleep a little more comfortable at night having a secondary manual-only deadbolt on the same doors though.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#24]
--Call Home

Calling Holmes....

--Cancel

--Call Home

Calling Home.....

What line One or Two...

--One

Calling Juan...

--FUCK

Command not recognized

--Cancel

--Call Home

Calling Ohms...

--FUCK FUCK !!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The worry about hacks baffles me. You think an analog deadbolt can't be hacked with a pick gun, or pair of paperclips? Yes, going electronic is often adding a vulnerability, but the barrier for entry to that is higher than the vulnerabilities of purely mechanical locks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They start at $99
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They start at $99

NEST doesn't.

I have two systems at the house..

there'd be no point in changing to any automated thermostat that wasn't a NEST.

Quoted:
The worry about hacks baffles me. You think an analog deadbolt can't be hacked with a pick gun, or pair of paperclips? Yes, going electronic is often adding a vulnerability, but the barrier for entry to that is higher than the vulnerabilities of purely mechanical locks.

the motion sensors in the hallway/kitchen/foyer raise the barrier on my mechanical locksets above any provided with a wifi enabled E-lock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Crestron.

Got an extra $200,000 burning a hole in your pocket? I can put something together for you.

ETA: I have an older 2 series Crestron system gathering dust in my garage that I plan on installing in my house one of these days.

2 large touchpanels, 12 zones of house audio, video control, 8 keypads, thermostat and about a dozen lightswitches. I also plan on doing integrating door locks and my driveway gate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no experience with the Wink system but do have a whole house automation system. I like it a lot, it saves energy along with being all LED, and it's really nice when we are not home.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure they can, but they require physical presence to do so.

When you introduce your automation system to the cloud, all it takes is a port scan and a little determination for someone to exploit your vulnerabilities. Then it's just a matter of determining where you are located, and they'll know your habits better than you and can choose a convenient time to take advantage of it.

Seems paranoid, I agree - but when you watch the traffic that hits your firewall you start to understand that a good amount of people have seemingly nothing better to do than find ways into unsecured systems - no matter what they are.

There are precautions you can take to mitigate much of the risk. Not using default ports is one of them. Not using common consumer plug & play devices is another.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
The NSA approves of this thread.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Crestron.

Got an extra $200,000 burning a hole in your pocket? I can put something together for you.

<a href="http://s193.photobucket.com/user/N2frodn/media/IMG_6065_zpswan1904j.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z207/N2frodn/IMG_6065_zpswan1904j.jpg</a>

ETA: I have an older 2 series Crestron system gathering dust in my garage that I plan on installing in my house one of these days.

2 large touchpanels, 12 zones of house audio, video control, 8 keypads, thermostat and about a dozen lightswitches. I also plan on doing integrating door locks and my driveway gate.
View Quote

This is how its done.

I was doing this stuff from the late 90's till about 4 yrs ago. Internet and the collapse of the construction industry killed all the small players. If you weren't connected to an architect or interior designer you were done. Custom sudio and home theaters ftmfw. Its all about that that bass im all about that bass...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#32]

automate every outlet and switch in your house...plus everything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I use smartthings. Lots of different brands are compatible with it, and they have a great online community.
I only have door locks and lights automated so far.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
OP fails. I have a team of supermodels to handle that stuff for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

My experience has been the same...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top