Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:40:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:00:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 12:05:20 PM EST by RBAD]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:07:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:15:00 AM EST
Do a BHD. Keep the looters at bay while your family escapes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:17:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:25:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 10:28:36 AM EST by Muad_Dib]
Don't allow yourself to become a target. If there is some civil unrest, raining Iraqi bio-weapons, whatever your favorite fantasy is, you need to keep a low profile. But this starts before the incident and continues after. Keep your preparations to yourself. Only let people know who you can trust- trust with your life. If you have a shelter capable of defending against a direct nuclear attack, with enough provisions for years, you still need to do what your neighbors are doing. Stand in the food and water lines, join in on the fallen community meetings, try to look like a regular Joe. If the trucks stop delivering food to the market, and you're the only ones who aren't coming out of their house looking for an alternative food source, where do you think the scavengers are going to look? Camouflage becomes a lifestyle, not a color combination. You need to fit in and not stand out in any crowd.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:26:17 AM EST
Those who can't bug out are required to go postal to give cover to those of us who can bug out. Don't blame me man - its the evolutionary food chain.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:34:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:37:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 10:44:29 AM EST by GodBlessTexas]
Bugging out should be reserved as the last option you have. Staying holed up in familiar territory, i.e. your home/neighborhood, is the best idea. That said, yes, it would be a bitch to bug out with kids, but the necessities are not hard to carry. I can fit everything to keep my family of four with two children aged 3 and 1 going for 3 days in a normal sized backpack. That's food, water preparation hardware, shelter gear, hygene gear, and guns/ammo. With two adults, that's even easier, as each one carries a pack that carries half the necessities, and half the convenience items. The most important part of bugging out is having some place to bug out to. If you can't get there in 3 days of hiking, don't bug out. As far as fortifying the house, think in terms of hurricane preparations. Keep some plywood sheets in the garage that can cover external windows so you can keep people out. If you want it to look stealth, paint one side black and mount the sheets from the inside of the house with the black facing out. Make a central area as close to the center of the house a safe zone fortified with sandbags. Just give the topic some thought. But as mentioned, keep your plans to yourself and to those you can trust with your life. There are only a handful of people who know my bugout plans, all of whom are related by blood and have an interest in my family surviving. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:56:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By Muad_Dib: Don't allow yourself to become a target. If there is some civil unrest, raining Iraqi bio-weapons, whatever your favorite fantasy is, you need to keep a low profile. But this starts before the incident and continues after. Keep your preparations to yourself. Only let people know who you can trust- trust with your life. If you have a shelter capable of defending against a direct nuclear attack, with enough provisions for years, you still need to do what your neighbors are doing. Stand in the food and water lines, join in on the fallen community meetings, try to look like a regular Joe. If the trucks stop delivering food to the market, and you're the only ones who aren't coming out of their house looking for an alternative food source, where do you think the scavengers are going to look? Camouflage becomes a lifestyle, not a color combination. You need to fit in and not stand out in any crowd.
View Quote
Very well said!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:16:11 AM EST
Easy enough, you bug out before it's no longer possible to bug out! Depending on how long the, er, 'civil crisis' or disorder continues, you may be stuck in a location you simply can't get out of easily. If you are, you are SOL, because no one, but no one, has enough ammo to keep a small city at bay. Sure you can make it costly, but in the end it will still be the same. Remember the Alamo! Eric The(I'llBeAtTheFarmIfAnyoneNeedsMe)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:26:07 AM EST
In most scenarios that aren't NBC, I am staying put. All my equipment is available, it is really tough to escape a city with millions of others clogging the road. I would lay low and wait it out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:41:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By lostwildcat: Lets just say I decided to stay home. I live in a small town 40 miles from a mid sized city. I live in a development on a cul-de-sac.
View Quote
Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to block off the street or development. Not a official guarded road block but just some debry to make the casual observer go on by? Or would that be even possible with out drawinbg too much attention? Seems to me most people are going to be looking for the easy food, water, whatever you got and if you made it a little more difficult to get to you, you might be left alone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:59:32 AM EST
It may sound cliche, but a body on a stick would probably motivate people to try an easier target. But then you'd have to deal with the smell....(anyone remember in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Authurs Court", they piled the bodies high and won, but the smell and disease of a dead army ended up doing them in)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:41:20 PM EST
The best place to "bug-out" to, would be a good friend or relative out in the country where there are no "neighborhoods". What are you going to do in the woods? Sure, you could "camp" for a while, but how long? To me, the most likely SHTF situation would be mass rioting/looting caused by some controversial happenstance, Fall of Social Security Benifits, or terrorist attack via NBC. In an NBC attack i would bug out immediately. Of course by the time you find out about it you may not be able to as the area will be quarentined. You could end up conataminating another area if its biological in nature. Under a temporary Riot, i'd stay put and ride it out with Mr. 12 Guage and an SUR. Out of all SHTF scenario's, this is the only one that has happened in the past and would expect to happen again in the future. If riots occur because i paid all my life into Social Security only to be told i could never draw benefits in the future, i'd be the one rioting [:)][:)][:D]......all the more reason to phase out this stupid system and implement a "risky" private system...ya'know like the "risky" system our congresscritters have. Insecure lib [:P]
Top Top