Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:38:57 PM EDT
No, It hasn't happened to me. But the topic came up in conversation.

Now, I'm not HSLD, never claimed to be. I'm more the "moderate speed, acceptable drag" type. Not "go fast", but "go at a reasonably sustainable pace".

But I did my time as an 11B, and I believe I've done some great things for the Army, the DoD, and the people of the United States. I don't lie about my service. I don't claim to be something I'm not.

There are some people who make some pretty high claims about what they've done. Maybe their claims are true, maybe not.

If you were questioned, even accused of being a liar, would you hesitate to produce a copy of your DD214, maybe with the SSN blacked out? I know I wouldn't. I would have no problem showing orders, awards, anything it took to prove I am who I say I am if someone asked. Hell, I'd show 'em my Certificate of the Imjin Scout Insignia if they really cared to see it.

Does it seem unreasonable to prove that you were HSLD, if you make that claim?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
How about we meet some place with our Origional DD214's, if you have nothing to hide this should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Picture speak 1000 words. Or a DD214...... But if it is just some stranger askin to see if he can get a rise outa me I would give him the middle finger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't lie about yourself any accusation that you are posing or fraudulent is moot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have to lie about anything.

The poor bastards that ask me about MY military service come away qualified to shoot their "grand" on a TT-8 after I go on E-N-D-L-E-S-S-L-Y about the joys of conduct-of-fire

Most people leave sorry they asked lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a guy accuse me of being a poser on an airplane, flying home on leave. He was about 30 years older than me and said I "ain't a real Marine"

I offered to show him what a real Marine looked like when the plane landed. He declined.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
My retired ID card would suffice or he/she can just lick the sweat off my nuts.  But hey, to each his own
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#8]

A CID officer came close one day. I was all wtf? Seems he memorized Vietnam era MOS’s and didn’t know 12A became Armor later on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Armor officer is now 19A

They changed it a year or two ago.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I do not know how I would be put into a situation where that would take place.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The trouble with me is that I was in a super secret unit. All of my records were destroyed. In fact, no records were even kept. The Govt. can not even acknowledge the existence of my super forces unit nor my own existence for that matter. I was so deep undercover that I'm not even sure who I used to be. Hell, I'm not certain I ever existed at all. This all may be part of their mind fuck. It's all very classified. I shouldn't even say as much as I've said here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]

There was this Battalion Assistant S2 Lieutenant in Germany that told his wife they couldn’t travel because of all the super secret information he knew and they could be kidnapped and shipped off to Moscow, etc., etc., for interrogation.  I thought it was funny as hell, all the funnier because he was completely serious, but really didn’t know anything important. Then his wife told the other wives at one of those wives meetings one day. He got a personal attention visit from the Brigade S2 the same day.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The trouble with me is that I was in a super secret unit. All of my records were destroyed. In fact, no records were even kept. The Govt. can not even acknowledge the existence of my super forces unit nor my own existence for that matter. I was so deep undercover that I'm not even sure who I used to be. Hell, I'm not certain I ever existed at all. This all may be part of their mind fuck. It's all very classified. I shouldn't even say as much as I've said here.

Take the blue pill and all will be as it was.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think if someone just out-of-the-blue calls me a poser, they can bite my ass - I don't care what they think.  BUT if I claim something and someone calls me a liar then I will shove the proof down their throat with a loud and thunderous "FU!"  

My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I do not know how I would be put into a situation where that would take place.

I agree.  I've been out of the military for 15 years now and have never run across a person who has doubted me.  Or at least, they've never said so.  I don't see it becoming a problem.  

Dan
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Robert, actually during the Cold War there were travel restrictions on anyone in an SCI Billet. I remember specifically signing documents acknowledging that.  These only applied to certain areas(usually comm. controlled). I was not aware of any restrictions on any free parts of the world.

I've never had anyone accuse me of being a poser, even though I spent most of  my active and reserve career in special ops units. Usually if I meet someone else  claiming that, its pretty easy to tell. The special ops community is pretty small and you usually will know some of the same people, especially commanders. It used to be, the fakes were easy to spot, they really knew nothing about the units they claimed, etc. Now days its easier for them, with the proliferation of books and crap. You can go on Ebay and buy just about anything. Challenge coins used to be impossible to get unless you were awarded them, now you can buy one from just about any obscure unit off Ebay. I mean, why would people buy them if they weren't in the unit?

I can establish my bonifides with any real guy pretty easily, but then, I dont claim anything I havent done. If anyone else wants to doubt me, I dont give a dried piece of donkey crap about it. If they havent been there, I couldnt care less what they think.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
"If they were a man I'd punch them, I'd punch them right in the mouth."
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I live for the day when I meet the guy who handed out shoes or some other low key job and admits to it.  His drinks are on me.  

I removed a tic from the head of a Sgt's Penis at Yakima Training Center once...

Soldier Medic.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I've never really had a problem with it. If it became a problem (and I figured it was worth it) I have docs to backup any claim to fame I might make. I kind of figure; if I ain't done it, why would I brag about it. Most of my claims to fame are buildin' scools and chow halls in other countries. Not what most would brag about, but I am proud of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]
The Army gave me a credit card size DD-214 when I ETS'd.
I carry it in my wallet right next to my voter registration and CPL.
Never had a reason to show it, just like having it around.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There was this Battalion Assistant S2 Lieutenant in Germany that told his wife they couldn’t travel because of all the super secret information he knew and they could be kidnapped and shipped off to Moscow, etc., etc., for interrogation.

Don't know about that, but I *DO* know that I wasn't allowed to take the duty train to Berlin on
leave, while they allowed my roomie to go. He was a teletype operator, I worked on COMSEC gear
and in the vault.

ISTR that it had something to do with my clearance, but I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There was this Battalion Assistant S2 Lieutenant in Germany that told his wife they couldn’t travel because of all the super secret information he knew and they could be kidnapped and shipped off to Moscow, etc., etc., for interrogation.

Don't know about that, but I *DO* know that I wasn't allowed to take the duty train to Berlin on
leave, while they allowed my roomie to go. He was a teletype operator, I worked on COMSEC gear
and in the vault.

ISTR that it had something to do with my clearance, but I honestly don't know.

This LT didn't hold any secrets worth kidnapping by the Russians as he was in a simple Infantry unit. This was also after the Wall was down. I don't know for sure, but I would bet he took his wife on some trips after that. The wives meetings would see to that.

To make it even more funny, not long before that, just before he joined the unit, we did a joint exercise where some elements of the Brigade went to Russia. We sure were friendly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I've never claimed to be anything I'm not, nor done anything I didn't actually do.

When I applied for my current job an interviewer commented about all the accomplishments on my resume/job history.  No biggee because I could back it up.

On the other hand, I know a guy who "oversold" himself to his post-military employer and found himself to be a walking example of the Peter Principle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]
A chap I know rather well was involved in some rather interesting little ops at some point. I don't know specifics, but I do know that when he attempted to get his first passport to go on a business trip to France, he had been 'flagged', interviewed, given the third degree as to why he wanted to travel, and given specific 'reminders' as to what he could or could not say to anyone he met while abroad.

That Battalion S-2 thing might sound odd, but given what my friend went through, I don't think it's impossible.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I had a guy accuse me of being a poser on an airplane, flying home on leave. He was about 30 years older than me and said I "ain't a real Marine"

I offered to show him what a real Marine looked like when the plane landed. He declined.

That's EXACTLY how I would expect a REAL Marine to respond.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Now, I'm not HSLD, never claimed to be. I'm more the "moderate speed, acceptable drag" type. Not "go fast", but "go at a reasonably sustainable pace".

I like this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Invite them to my office.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]

I love your "I love me wall."  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/jarheadchiro/Man.jpg

Where is the NCO sword and the KBar award?

I can not make it out, is that a picture of my beloved Herk or an Osprey to the left?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm packin' mine up for my retirement move. Kind of cool to look back. What really got me was going through my folders of TDY orders and travel vouchers. I forgot some of the places that I have been. After 20 years, TDYs just seem to run together.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/jarheadchiro/Man.jpg

Where is the NCO sword and the KBar award?

I can not make it out, is that a picture of my beloved Herk or an Osprey to the left?

Osprey.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I love your "I love me wall."  

It's more like the whole room.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live for the day when I meet the guy who handed out shoes or some other low key job and admits to it.  His drinks are on me.  

I removed a tic from the head of a Sgt's Penis at Yakima Training Center once...

Soldier Medic.

I work in a gas station.
on third shift.

ETA no military but a volly FF.  When people say I'm not a "real" firefighter, I just ask them if they want to follow me in a burning house.  Alway's shut's them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top