Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 3:55:12 AM EDT
I knew one person who swore she worked at Area 51, she was my HS english teacher But some how had managed to work at the base testing new metals.

What the hell drives some one to make such a lie, I can understand telling some one you forgot something because you didn't want to be bothered with it but at the same time don't want to be dick to them.

But making your entire life into a lie
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
they are attention whores.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yeah but you don't have to make up huge lies or any to get attention, run across a NFL game ass naked, millions will see you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My personal experience with people that "embellish" their lives is that they think that they have to in order to be interesting or accepted.

I have to believe that a lot it comes from weak-minded people that have bought into the mass media/mass marketed ideas that you are bombarded with every second of every day.  They start to actually think that the world is like what is portrayed on TV and other media.  They have to be "special" in order to satisfy their egos.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I discovered America.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I discovered America.

Shit that ain't nothing. In my free-time when not on Arfcom I am in Hollywood going to red carpet event's. I am like best friends with all the Stars. Hell I am dating Paris Hilton.

I just call her skinny bitch for short, she loves it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I worked with a lady at Area 51 who left to become a high school english teacher.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a HS history teacher who claimed to have been abducted by aliens.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well that beats mine
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Given the typical teacher in todays public government schools I could well believe that most of them ARE aliens.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I worked with a lady at Area 51 who left to become a high school english teacher.

So you worked on that Metal that you guys couldn't touch or it would kill yeah in like 5 seconds and make you blister all over before you die.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to be King of England... and a Spy, Astronaut, Inventor, President, Race car driver and, Rocket surgeon.

And...  If I hadn't seen me kill that rhino with that spoon, I wouldn't have believed it could be done.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I used to be King of England... and a Spy, Astronaut, Inventor, President, Race car driver and, Rocket surgeon.

And...  If I hadn't seen me kill that rhino with that spoon, I wouldn't have believed it could be done.

And you know whats sad out there a few people try to make others belive that is their life.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I complain about the same thing to my wife, Morgan Fairchild.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How's my ex doing, by the way?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#16]
you guys should read Dick Morris' book about Hitlery. It will make you want to punch the picture of her on the cover.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Ask my boss.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#18]
My real name is Walter Mitty.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a cat.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a cat.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's my ex doing, by the way?

And my kids?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I discovered America.

I call Bullshit!

How do I know?

CAuse I did!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mine used to tell us about the power of pyramids and how he kept his razor under one to keep it sharp.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine used to tell us about the power of pyramids and how he kept his razor under one to keep it sharp.  

It would be interesting to get those two together!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]
"Honsetly"  IS a word, many web sites to prove it.        
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Our sin nature.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but you don't have to make up huge lies or any to get attention, run across a NFL game ass naked, millions will see you.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  There's been a couple of those types on here.  

Hielo and his exoctic car fire/ 10,000 square foot bathroom that no one was allowed to see.  He eventually disappeared, I'm sure he's still on here under a different name.

There was also this other guy who claimed to be a childhood actor.  When he was questioned about it he said it was a joke, but at the time he was in a serious duscussion.  I suspect it was a second lie (about it being a joke) to cover up the first.

Attention whore's; the lot of them.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#28]
A guy I worked with always had some adventure he would tell us about.  His brother supposedly got killed and he missed a week of work to back home to AZ.  After all the other lies he told, nobody really believed him about his brother.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I did this a lot when i was a kid.  prolly cause i wasn't really allowed to have friends so i thought i had to impress people while i was at school.  noone ever really acknowledged me unless i was telling a bogus story.  now that i'm older, i don't like people that much.   if i ever have kids, i'm not going to keep them hidden like i was.  And i'm gonna teach him to punch people when they won't listen.  

i still find myself trying to make stuff up, but now that i'm older i catch myself and quit while i'm ahead.  i have told 4 bogus stories to my wife.  later i told her they were lies and when asked why i would lie about something so stupid, i didn't have an answer.  i don't tell her bogus stories anymore...

In short, I did it cause I was lonely, and it was the only way I could get attention.  Now that I'm older and carry guns, I don't wanna be noticed, so I don't make up stories anymore...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't need to lie about what I have done....I have done so much in my life and been through so much that most people would not believe it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't need to lie about what I have done....I have done so much in my life and been through so much that most people would not believe it anyway.

B and  E's into peoples apartments and jerking your chicken in front of their pets doesn't count.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]

noone ever really acknowledged me unless i was telling a bogus story. now that i'm older

I see too many parents now that feel they're too busy to listen to their kids, so they kids do what you describe to try to get their parent's attention.  It teaches the kids to exaggerate or lie.z
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I though that was our little secret

Quoted:

Quoted:

B and  E's into peoples apartments and jerking your chicken in front of their pets doesn't count.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  There's been a couple of those types on here.  

Hielo and his exoctic car fire/ 10,000 square foot bathroom that no one was allowed to see.  He eventually disappeared, I'm sure he's still on here under a different name.

There was also this other guy who claimed to be a childhood actor.  When he was questioned about it he said it was a joke, but at the time he was in a serious duscussion.  I suspect it was a second lie (about it being a joke) to cover up the first.

Attention whore's; the lot of them.  

LMAO. I was trying to claim to be webster, the little black kid for just laughs. Am I never gonna live that down? So what you talking bout.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Same exact thing that makes people lie about being in Vietnam or a motorcycle gang or anywhere they weren't. They want to identify with a particular group and they want to impress people.

I don't know the "why" other than there has to be some major deficiency in their lives to make them fabricate another life.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What are the odds of that!!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Everything I've ever posted on web message boards is a lie.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I discovered America.

I discovered pants!

and the spring noise you hear in your AR carbine......

Low self esteem could be a reason why people  make themselves out to be more than they are. Their life sucks, job, love life, ect. Kind of have to pitty them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I invented the internet at darpa after my stint as a spaceshuttle door gunner
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I was talking to a guy at a bar the other night.

He started to claim that he was ex-SF and all this crap.  He claimed to be a Marine serving in Afghanistan during the late 80s.  It was such obvious bullshit that it was frightening that he was recalling it all with such vigor.

Certainly enough to make me to a few steps back...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's MAGNETS    Goofball's mixing up his stories now, hahaha

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I have always found it amazing the claims some people make
they must have self-esteem issues to need to pretend accomplishments

I personally have MUCH more respect for someone I can believe
no matter what they have achieved, or not achieved

I already know plenty of smart people, rich people, important people and badasses......

These days, I am happy to just meet someone that I don't think is lying to me
(one of the reasons I like this place so much, you keep each other honest, heh)
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#43]

I hope nobody will ever discover that I really AM Dutch!  The shame would be too much to bear.

Seriously, I never understood why someone like hielo would go to all that trouble to make up elaborate lies, just to convince a bunch of anonymous jerks on the internet that he was incredibly wealthy.  Very weird.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I hope nobody will ever discover that I really AM Dutch!  The shame would be too much to bear.

Seriously, I never understood why someone like hielo would go to all that trouble to make up elaborate lies, just to convince a bunch of anonymous jerks on the internet that he was incredibly wealthy.  Very weird.  

So whats the story on his bathroom?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:55:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah well..

I invented the internet.

So, all you wouldn't be talking on this board if it wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/179919.jpg

I like this one better
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I did a tour as a door gunner on the Nautilist under Capt. Nemo, A real party animal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top