Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 11:44:21 AM EDT
And just what are you doing for money now?
I see alot of people posting about how they have been unemployed for a year or more.  Who is supporting you all this time? Wife? parents?
I know if I got laid off tomorrow I could support myself for awhile, but once the end of that started drawing near I'd be inclined to take any job I could in order to eat.  Is there something I'm missing here?  When you say "I can't find a job" is it just because you can't find one in your field? or one that isn't "menial labor"?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I am doing ok by performing underwater currency reclamation and discarded aluminum salvage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Well,

I just got hired a U. of Maryland today and I am leaving a job at a local community college. I am not sure about other states but it seems here in the mid-Atlantic area jobs in education are really easy to find.

If any of you are looking for work. Check out local Community Colleges and Universities. They don't just hire teachers you know!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a VA stipend that goes for two months after I graduated (ends in July). I am looking for a job in my field, but when it gets closer to the end of my benefits I will take whatever pays the bills. I already accepted a job that isn't quite what I wanted but it doesn't start till the 16th. I'm hoping something else comes up since it only pays $11 an hour and is 50 miles round trip to work. I have a computer engineer friend that just graduated and is working at a movie theater.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am doing ok by performing underwater currency reclamation and discarded aluminum salvage.
View Quote

Do the mall ninjas arrest you, or just yell at you to get out of the fountain?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, in my first week of being unemployed I have contacted about a dozen people in my field. Some are in my region, others are out west.

I will try to obtain work in my field.  That is why I went to college after all, to work in the field I chose as a profession.  That being said, if I am unsuccessful in my endeavor and run out of unemployment, I will try independent consulting first, probably for one quarter.  If it does not appear that it will pay the bills after three months, I will go back to retail, or any other full-time job, to pay the bills.

I believe sticking in my field is definitely my best bet.  It is where my professional experience lies, and it also pays better than Walmart.  But hey, if need be I will shovel shit for eight hours a day to support my family.  I just don't feel like paying off thousands of dollars in student loans using my hard earned shit-shoveling money, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hate to admit it , but I have been pretty much living off credit....

I do not really have a field , I am kind of a jack of all trades type , though I have mainly worked in construction and manufacturing....the place I am living has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country , there are a lot of people out of work and a lot of them are educated and skilled....

A typical week for me involves putting out 10 to 15 or more resumes a week.. for everything from construction , painting , warehouse , manufacturing , delivery , to washing fuckin' dishes...at this point I can't afford to be picky ....so no in my case it is not my looking for a job "in my field " or a fear of menial labor it is just a hard situation....but I keep pluggin' away...

t

sorry about the mimi-rant
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I borrowed about 4 grand from my folks in the 4 months I was unemployed. It was a very difficult, & painful time for my wife,son, & myself. I just brought home my 1st paycheck[:D] in a long time. I would have taken any job during those months that I could have taken. I filled out many applications, & had some really positive interviews, but to no avail. This is a major college town, & there is a lot of competition for jobs, & the kids seem to get a preference over us older folks, because they work for less, & need no benefits because they are seasonal. I am a bailbondsman now! Tonight I will have my 1st shift alone since my training started. I worked my shift last night with my last trainer, & man was it boring. Not a single customer from 11pm to 7am. Sometimes boring isn't a bad thing though. At least it pays well enough for me to begin the payback process with my folks, & I thank God that I have become gainfully employed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
just a hard situation....but I keep pluggin' away...
View Quote

Sorry to hear about what your going through man.

Have you tried applying for driving jobs? They pay pretty good and its easy work. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Burning savings, like a lot of other guys.  The wife also works, which helps.

In the meantime I'm studying the movie "Heat" [;D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Woo hoo! I was wondering when someone was going to put a crew together!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
... Join the Marines, see the world ... until 18 Im living off my parents and assorted farm hand work.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Woo hoo! I was wondering when someone was going to put a crew together!
View Quote

I had quite a chat on this topic with 4 friends in a bar last summer, and we're almost ready to go.  Before we get started, I will need to know what kind of rifle the lead investigator will be equipped with... [:P]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
i was laid off on Jan5th.  i didn't think it would last longer than a month or two.  i had saved up some cash since unemployment only offers me $98/wk.  i sold some guns and a lot of misc stuff on ebay.  just recently i've started to turn applications in to a couple of places.

the place i worked at just filed chapter 11 (fleming foods) so who knows what's going to happen now.

i am eligable for SSI so i get that now but as soon as i find work i'll be off it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I know so many people through friends and family, there's always work to be done somewhere.  Right now I've been clearing and surveying a vacant lot on my days off from school. Menial labor, hard labor, yes. But it's very hard to convince someone to hire you when they know you're still in school. That's been my experience.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

A fountain diver I see.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I sponge off the wife. [argue]
[booze]
Although the Heat thing sounds good.[50]

ED
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I was unemployed since Feb. 1.  I found a job on Tuesday.
Way out of my field.
I was a Quality Tech at an Aerospace company.  I am now a Utility Staker(I find undergroung cable), but it pays most of the bills.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
What have I done to find one? The usual suspects - every headhunter I know, all the on-line boards, schmoozing with the employed friends I've got to see if their companies are hiring, actually went door-to-door through one of the tech centers.

What am I doing for money? Well, I was smart and lucky. I made a buttload (that's a technical term) of money in my field but my wife and I had pretty inexpensive tastes, guns and shooting included. We don't have kids yet, so there's one less cash-ulcer [;)]. Between the two of us, we ended up putting away close to about $30K, plus she was making enough on her own to have us break even when I did the big fade. Live within your means, friends. Also managed to pick up a few quickie contract gigs, which helps to keep the credit debt from getting out of hand.

Of course, things are getting a little tight now that she's laid off too (got the chop around the end of March). I'm about ready to hit the FedEx/UPS/doggy daycare/coffee shop circuit, at least until she gets another gig.

To further complicate things, I'm trying to get *out* of my field but still need to find one to get into. Neat trick since my entire working life has been in IT, but that's another story.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Just burning savings.  Should be able to hold out another 4-5 months before I'll have to take a job - any job.  For now I just fire off 5-10 resumes or applications per week, mostly for positions better than or equal to the place that furloughed me.  [b]KeithC[/b], I'm afraid FedEx isn't all that lowball anymore, there's a human tide of applicants during their application windows.  I'd consider myself a perfect, if not over-qualified candidate with prior experience in the field and they haven't called yet.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[b]KeithC[/b], I'm afraid FedEx isn't all that lowball anymore, there's a human tide of applicants during their application windows.  I'd consider myself a perfect, if not over-qualified candidate with prior experience in the field and they haven't called yet.  
View Quote

Well... um... shit.

Better get that wife of mine a job! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
For 6 months, unemployment benefits of $250 a week, plus monthly pension payments. Since I'd only been working a 3/4 time job for awhile anyway, total income onlty dropped about $125 a month.

Decided to go back to the career I'd had for 20 years prior to what I'd been doing the past 8 years, and knew that age plus time away from field would make it tough.  Scores of job interviews, one offer to hire that was withdrawn when the guy who wanted to hire me was told that a hiring freeze had been put in the day before he sent my paperwork to Human Resourses (that hurt).

Finally hired last week in precisely the part of the state I want to live in, at exactly the pay grade I figured I could get after my absence from the field for so long.  Only small problem is that unemployment ran out 3 weeks ago, and I can't start new job til June 15th.  All things considered tho, I'm a happy camper right now[:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been doing pretty good selling slightly worn little girl's tennis shoes on eBay.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Self-employed.

No long commutes
No rush hour traffic
No ass-clown bosses
No timesheets
No office costumes
No office politics
Firearm fondling during work hours is  MANDATORY!

Live by your wits – Find a need, and fill it!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I get paid for medical experiments on my spine, or so it seems.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been unemployed since 8/18/00.  I have tried to get many jobs but have been unsuccessful in my pursuit.  Someone was giving me bad (and untrue) references.  I have found the source and [b]hopefully[/b] stopped it.  I had my first interview in a while last Wednesday.  I was pretty much guaranteed the job. (Hope I'm not jinxing myself)  My parents have spent approximately $30,000 on me during my unemployment.  If I were them, I'd have kicked my ass out a long time ago.
I have a great family.  I'll get the chance to repay my debt to them either through acts or monetarily.

TS
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I am back in school, in care of NAFTA. And I still hate the agreement. Been out of work since 11/18/02. Just cashed in my 401K. Looking for prayers!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been unable to find steady work for the past 2 years. Companies either close doors or lay off. I feel having a degree is of no help. I have been considering becoming a truck driver for Swift. I really not wanting to spend my life in a truck, but I don't see much else out there. Got any advice on becoming a man of steel behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hate to admit it , but I have been pretty much living off credit....

I do not really have a field , I am kind of a jack of all trades type , though I have mainly worked in construction and manufacturing....the place I am living has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country , there are a lot of people out of work and a lot of them are educated and skilled....

A typical week for me involves putting out 10 to 15 or more resumes a week.. for everything from construction , painting , warehouse , manufacturing , delivery , to washing fuckin' dishes...at this point I can't afford to be picky ....so no in my case it is not my looking for a job "in my field " or a fear of menial labor it is just a hard situation....but I keep pluggin' away...

t

sorry about the mimi-rant
View Quote

it's no lie, the economy here in washington is trash
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Same as a lot here...  Worked about 10-12 years in the field... field dried up. Got unemployment of about 50% of income. Used that up, and savings. Got a job making about 33% or less of original income doing manual labor. Not quite enough to pay all the bills. Sold most of my gun collection. Not sending out resumes in the volumes I once was. I can now tell if a job really exists, or if it's the recruiters' gratuitous resume stocking advertisement. Would probably get depressed if I wasn't such an optimist :)
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#31]
The economy's the worst it has been since the 1930's you guys.  Dont take it persoanally if you cannot find work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#32]
sponge off the wife...
I have a monthly income on the side....
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Self-employed now, doing what I love.  I can work all day on my instruments (I build guitars on a fully custom ordered basis)  and never feel like I was doing anything but playing all day long.

It's almost PERFECT.  It WILL be as business picks up and I become more profitable.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
No more sponging off the wife. Except when she wants me too.[naughty]

Just received my letter today from SSDI that my claim has finaly been approved after 2-1/2years. [furious]

They say I should see some money sometime in the next 60 days. No more having to sale my tools to get by.[banghead]

ED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top