Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 10:03:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:09:09 AM EST
I hear ya. While I may applaud GOA's no-compromise position, they never seem to make the splash the NRA does. OTOH, that mey be simply because the NRA has become the favorite whipping-boy of the Left. Besides, if the GOA got more exposure from the press, many minds might be changed to our side, and you don't expect the press to HELP us, do you?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:22:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:39:26 PM EST
GOA doesn't have the "3 letter" buzz that NRA does. They are an ideal orgainzation for gun owners that actually follow up with their elected representatives. As you can see, I am an Ohio resident. I have received 2 or 3 email updates regarding concealed carry, and who-to-call. One PROACTIVE GOA member is worth 20 NRA members that, "Feel that their $35/month should guarantee them a true interpretation of the 2nd amendment..." (You know the guys: The ones that don't call their reps, don't vote. etc...)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:43:24 PM EST
I think one noticable difference is in the dedication of the membership. I know lots of NRA guys who don't do anything... All the GOA guys I know care and actually push their elected officials to make sure their voice is heard.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:43:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:44:33 PM EST
Take this as a single observance of a strictly anecdotal nature: When the appropriations bill S.1438 (with section 1062 intact)was in danger of passing a little over a year ago, I first heard of it through the GOA. Maj. Culver's forum was buzzing with the news, and many of us started writing our Senators and Represantative immediately. It took the NRA a couple of weeks to start contacting folks with ILA-fax alerts. By that time, most of us had already been in contact with our congressional reps. I would think that the NRA, with their connections and expertise, would have been first out with the news.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:56:27 PM EST
Every time I get the GOA newsletter, all I see is Larry Pratt posing with some pro-gun congressman or senator. That's nice. I'd really like to see pictures of Pratt grabbing some imbecile anti-rights legislator by the throat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:03:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:10:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By raf: That's excellent! Um, anything else since 1975?
View Quote
1975? Is it 1976 already? Reread the post, raf. This happened in FY 2002.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:14:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:32:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By raf:
Originally Posted By Yankee1911:
Originally Posted By raf: That's excellent! Um, anything else since 1975?
View Quote
1975? Is it 1976 already? Reread the post, raf. This happened in FY 2002.
View Quote
Yes. I know. I'll re-phrase my question for you: Has GOA done anything else of national importance to gun owners since their founding in 1975? Hope this helps.
View Quote
Gee, I don't know raf. That's why I qualified my post with this statement:
Take this as a single observance of a strictly anecdotal nature:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:44:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:01:03 PM EST
[b]"What has GOA done for gun owners?"[/b] I'll tell you: Theyve been working to defend our Second Amendment rights. You can't always place an easy quantitative value on "results". Every little effort, from any organization that represents a bunch of citizens, makes a difference. Remember, the GOA is still much smaller than the NRA thus the low profile. If the GOA had 5 million members you can bet money that we'd be in a better position than we are now. Since the do-gooder libs want to take away ALL of our firearms, it takes a position like the GOA's - "NO GUN CONTROL" - to combat that position. If you're not a member of the GOA, splurge the 30 bucks and support them. One day when they have millions of members it will make a difference. CMOS
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:32:51 PM EST
I support both NRA and GOA beyond the normal membership fees. That said, I think that GOA's "no compromise" slogan is just that - a slogan on a banner of a newsletter. In today's big politics, if you don't cleverly compromise, you'll come away with nothing. Unfortunately, many in the RKBA movement feel that marching into the legislature with the Bible in one hand and the Constitution in the other will magically turn back 90 years of gun control laws. [b]Have we not learned anything from our opponents?[/b] It's called "incrementalism". And we need to become better at it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:08:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2003 6:12:20 PM EST by bulldog1967]
How strongly do I feel about GOA vs the NRA? I am a GOA Life member.... I renew my NRA membership on a yearly basis...most times... The NRA is biggest...but sells us down the river the most. The GOA doesn't get as much press because they are smaller, but they spend all of thier money lobbying and educating (and harrassing [:D]) congresscritters on what pending legislation means to you and my rights. They get muy vote...and money. Just watch Larry Pratt (GOA) on TV sometime answer some reporter's questions, he makes Wayne Lapierre look as bad as he really is.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:16:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2003 6:16:46 PM EST by bulldog1967]
Originally Posted By raf: OK, thanks for the clarification. But still, the original question remains:[i]What has the GOA done for gunowners?[/i] Your example aside, has there been anything else since their founding in 1975?
View Quote
Yeah, they were THE CHIEF organization pushing congress in the movement to arm airline pilots....I'd say that was relatively recent, wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:36:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:56:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 5:57:45 AM EST by thedave1164]
Well, I can say that GOA supported Marilyn Musgrave (us congressional district 4 CO) in the 2002 elections, with cash and flyers. NRA put her in their mag. Musgrave is a staunch supporter of the Second Ammendment. GOA was doing a membership drive in conjunction with the Crossroads of the West, show in Reno, last month. When are some of you going to realize that it is a war going on, and we need a no retreat representation, not just increment losses. BTW I am both an NRA and GOA member, but I do think my dollars are better spent with GOA. But in the same vain, I am talking more to my reps, because that goes farther than mony spent on either NRA or GOA dues.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:40:12 AM EST
Originally Posted VERY Profoundly By SWS: Unfortunately, many in the RKBA movement feel that marching into the legislature with the Bible in one hand and the Constitution in the other will magically turn back 90 years of gun control laws.
View Quote
You got that right!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:45:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 10:46:47 AM EST by wetidlerjr]
Originally Posted By thedave1164: But in the same vain, I am talking more to my reps, because that goes farther than mony spent on either NRA or GOA dues.
View Quote
I agree! My US House Rep. doesn't always reflect my views but I contact him regulary on many issues anyway. Failure to do so leaves your views ignored. It's my goddamn government and I'm going to be heard! I'm sorry but I can only support you for the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:49:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:28:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sylvan: What is GOAs membership count?
View Quote
according to a recent press release, it is over 300,000
Top Top