Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 6:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 6:16:50 AM EDT by TylerSchreck]

What happens if the President and Vice President Elect die before sworn in?

Like....they die before, on, or shortly after election day?

Does it go the normal steps as if they were in office?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 6:23:35 AM EDT by NoHarmNoFAL-01]
Careful, this is not a good thing to talking about in a gun forum on the internet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:24:58 AM EDT
Planning something?!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:25:21 AM EDT
It depends on when it happens. If it occurs between the time of the popular vote and the meeting of the electoral college, the electoral college can elect someone else. If it occurs after the electoral college meets, then whomever is Speaker of the House on January 20th becomes President.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:25:38 AM EDT
Alexander Haig will stand at a podium pounding his fist saying
" I'M IN CONTROL HERE "

Chris
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:26:19 AM EDT
Don't know how it would work out.

But I had a similar thought.

What would happen if both of the party's canidates died a week or so before the election? Postpone the election until that party can come up with two new canidates?

Postponing elections are unheard of in the US. But leaving the incumbents in office for another 6 months - 1 year is too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:26:20 AM EDT
i love the system. they though of everything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:26:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:31:01 AM EDT
IIRC, the Senate would elect the Vice President and the House would elect the President.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:31:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 6:32:47 AM EDT by PAEBR332]
STOP GUESSING!!! Read the Constititution. See in particular Article II Section 1, and Amendments XII and XX.

U.S. Constitution
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:31:32 AM EDT
I would think that it would depend on how close it happened to the inauguration. They probably have an answer out there somewhere, but most likely they would just swear the Speaker of the House in as POTUS.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:32:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TylerSchreck:
What happens if the President and Vice President Elect die before sworn in?

Like....they die before, on, or shortly after election day?

Does it go the normal steps as if they were in office?

Congradulations! The FBI has just placed a red flag next to your name.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:33:17 AM EDT
I didn't mean for this to raise alarm...just curious about what would happen.

Like...what happens if there is a tie in the Electorial Votes? (Is it even possible)
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:33:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 6:34:14 AM EDT by motown_steve]

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
Careful, this is not a good thing to talking about in a gun forum on the internet.

NO SHIT!

You're gonna get us on the news you dumbass!

I think that this thread needs to go away, FAST!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:35:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 6:37:24 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
From Amendment 20:

If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Section 4.
The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the House of Representatives may choose a President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them, and for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the Senate may choose a Vice President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them.

In a nutshell: If the president-elect dies, then the VP-elect will be become President. If Congress wants to, it can make a law to handle what would happen if both died. I don't know what that law is or if one has been made. Section 4 isn't quite making sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:35:30 AM EDT

Like...what happens if there is a tie in the Electorial Votes? (Is it even possible)

READ THE CONSTITUTION. THIS IS ALL COVERD!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:41:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

NO SHIT!

Paranoia will kill ya’!

What happened to the First Amendment…oh wait… I remember…it doesn’t count on Arfcom!

On the news... what a joke... a person asks a question and people get all nervous and crap.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:41:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
In a nutshell: If the president-elect dies, then the VP-elect will be become President. If Congress wants to, it can make a law to handle what would happen if both died. I don't know what that law is or if one has been made. Section 4 isn't quite making sense to me.

I think in the unlikely event that both die, the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 would apply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:44:55 AM EDT
settle down folks. It's ok to discuss.
I suspect the reasonfor the question is terrorism?
I have wondered the same thing myself.
It would be something I would try, if Al Queda...
If W wins, terrosism sometime after the elction, but before inauguration.
It is a scary, sobering thiought.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:47:01 AM EDT

NO SHIT!

Paranoia will kill ya’!

What happened to the First Amendment…oh wait… I remember…it doesn’t count on Arfcom!

On the news... what a joke... a person asks a question and people get all nervous and crap.

A person on a gun board who asks the question "What happens if the President and the Vice President die before they are sworn in" boarders way to close to being a threat!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:47:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

READ THE CONSTITUTION. THIS IS ALL COVERD!!!

The election is decided by the House of Representatives....thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:49:29 AM EDT

NO SHIT!

Paranoia will kill ya’!

A person on a gun board who asks the question "What happens if the President and the Vice President die before they are sworn in" boarders way to close to being a threat!

So if it was asked on DU then it would be okay? Because they are not a firearms board.....and I guess asking it on www.fluffycloudsandpuppies.com would be okay also.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:00:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 7:00:35 AM EDT by Bumblebee_Bob]
I didn't see the question as a threat at all. He was looking for knowledge. That's it. Nothing more sinister than that.

Now my question again. I don't think it's covered by the Constitution.

What would happen if the candidate and running mate to the non-sitting party were killed before the election?

What got me started on the question was a couple of weeks ago Kerry and Edwards were in the same state (Iowa?) and maybe the same town. Were they on the same bus? What would happen if the bus crashed and burned killing them both? DO NOT READ INTO THE QUESTION CRAP THAT AIN'T THERE!!! Bus's wreck every so often. Bus's are safe transportation, but sometimes they still run of the road.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:03:53 AM EDT
Hell, Edward's plane has had 2 small emergencies in the past month.
One engine problem and on camera battery started a seat on fire in the passenger compartment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:04:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
I didn't see the question as a threat at all. He was looking for knowledge. That's it. Nothing more sinister than that.

What would happen if the candidate and running mate to the non-sitting party were killed before the election?

What got me started on the question was a couple of weeks ago Kerry and Edwards were in the same state (Iowa?) and maybe the same town. Were they on the same bus? What would happen if the bus crashed and burned killing them both? DO NOT READ INTO THE QUESTION CRAP THAT AIN'T THERE!!! Bus's wreck every so often. Bus's are safe transportation, but sometimes they still run of the road.

You bring up a very good point...what would happen then?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:07:35 AM EDT
allright, all you fuckers...

put

the coffee

DOWN...

step AWAY

from the COFFEE...

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:07:41 AM EDT

If the two candidates die the day before the election, the vote still goes on. If these two win the election, the EC would still have to vote for them, then the Presidential Sucession Act of 1947 would be in effect, and the Speaker of the House would become President.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:19:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

If the two candidates die the day before the election, the vote still goes on. If these two win the election, the EC would still have to vote for them, then the Presidential Sucession Act of 1947 would be in effect, and the Speaker of the House would become President.

Thanks. That makes the most sense.

I did take Govt. class in High School. But that was more than a quarter century ago. And since the teacher was the football coach and ½ the team was in that class we covered 3 chapters in the first quarter of school. We also had 3 girls in class. The only thing coach loved as much as talking football was cranking on the girls about the ERA. It didn't improve much after football season either.
Top Top