Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 6:19:12 AM EDT
Did anyone bother to read the novels that Paypal put out as their new "agreement." After @30 reminders via email over the last 6 months,
I finally just clicked on yes to whatever they were putting forth and immediately cleared out my account. I notice that now my "send cash" limit is $111.02, as an "unverified" member. Do you know how they came up with that figure? And why $111.02? What is the "meat" of this new agreement? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe "unverifed" folk have a total limit they can send   and the 111.$ is simply the balance of aviable money they will allow you to send without being verifed..

i.e.

say the limit is 500.. you send 400 your left over is 100 .. then you must verify ..

I think.. I havent used paypa; in a while so I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, they bombarded me with at least a dozen emails about accepting the new user agreement.  I kept declining, thinking I would eventually find a few hours of worthless time to actually read all the legal jargon.  I finally gave in and just clicked the damn accept button. One way or another, you are screwed no matter what should go wrong while using the service.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
DROP PAYPAL LIKE A BAD HABIT!!!!
Read the acceptable use policy and you will find that they are VERY anti gun. Closed my account when it was brought to my attention. YOu may not use it to pay for guns, ammo.
link to the site:
[url]http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside&ed=firearms[/url]

Quote from paypal:
Firearms, Ammunition, Replicas, and Militaria Policy

You may not use PayPal to sell any firearm manufactured after 1898. Certain related items and high-capacity ammunition magazines are also prohibited, as described in more detail below. In addition, it is the responsibility of users to abide by all applicable laws when dealing with the sale of permitted antique firearms, ammunition, replicas, militaria and other associated items.

What is not permitted?

Firearms
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise any firearms produced after 1898. This includes all "pre-ban," sporting, collectible, and curio and relic (C&R) firearms, regardless of their present capability to fire a shot.

Related items
In addition, you may not use PayPal to sell or advertise kits (that can be used to create a firearm) or illegal firearm components such as silencers, converters (which converts a firearm to automatic capability), and short barrels.

Ammunition
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise high capacity magazines (magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds). In addition, sellers of other ammunition with propellant (such as gunpowder) are responsible for abiding by all laws and postal regulations.

Ordnance
In general, you may not use of PayPal in conjunction with the sale of ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts) unless you can provide official documentation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) stating that the item is unserviceable or demilitarized. Contact your local ATF office for more details on obtaining such documentation. You can also visit the ATF website for general information about firearms laws.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
One more thing.
This is a measure of their understanding of firearms.

From their page:
The receiver is not a firearm as classified by law. See U.S. Code Title 18, Section 921
View Quote

And the actual code (followed link Paypal provided):

(3)
The term ''firearm'' means

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;

View Quote

It is obvious that they have made the choice based on something other then facts. Disgusting and right in line with what Duers would support.

[/rant off]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Paypal's gun policies apply to people selling items via paypal stores. You can still buy and sell guns and ammo with paypal just like you are using a credit card. If you have a 'paypal store', you can't sell those items, along with many others, in [b]their[/b] store.

If you want to know why, just look at all the lawsuits againts gun makers and other things. It's not anti-gun, it's CYA.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of you tin foil hat wearing people crack me up.

It's always been against their policy to sell firearms ...it's nothing new.  So what's the big deal now?

It's [b]not[/b]against their policy to buy/sell ammo ...read your own posting.  All it basically says is if it has gun powder in it, you have to abide by the law and postal regs.  So again, what's the big deal?

The reciever comment is regarding [b]"Blank guns, replica or imitation guns, paintball guns, and "airsoft" guns may be listed provided that:"[/b]  Again, what's the big deal?

The only significant change was the addition of high caps (which sucks) and grenades.  Oh damn!  I was just gonna order some Willy Pete's too.  [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Given PP's anti-gun store stuff, I'd never use them.  Further, if anybody's serious about an online retail business, they take normal credit/debit cards like normal people use.  An online seller using PP only suggests a backwoods operation with no, if any, cash flow. As a buyer/seller (still a little backwoods), I have no problem with buying or accepting USPS money orders.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
[red]The Acceptable Use Policies below cover items bought and sold using PayPal[/red], as well as any items sold or advertised on a website listed in PayPal Shops
View Quote

This covers item NOT listed in their shops as well!

The reciever comment is regarding "Blank guns, replica or imitation guns, paintball guns, and "airsoft" guns may be listed provided that:" Again, what's the big deal?
View Quote

I stand corrected.
But the tin foil hat thing, Fuck you! None of that here. Just my right not to support an openly anti gun company, period. You use your rights how you choose, as will I.

sovereign,
Sorry for the hijacked thread, I'm done.

CH

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#9]
So just don't tell 'em, geez...

Just check the box, "Goods, Non-Auction"...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I am going to cancel my account. Going back to the USPS MO only route. I have transacted maybe $4,000 through them, maybe more, without a  single fraudulent transaction on my part. Both buying and selling. And now my limit is not $111, but $111 and 2 cents! Only because I do not have a bank account linked to their system. "You don't no want to trust me, I don't want to trust you no more."
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone here used Yahoo paydirect? I started to sign with them and read use statement and saw nothing about guns or ammo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I never buy from online stores that only use PayPal. They are shooting themselves in the foot by limiting their customer's options.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
They just want your bank account so they can fck with you.  I cancelled those pricks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally posted be SeaDweller:

They just want your bank account so they can fck with you. I cancelled those pricks

Ditto

Check out[url]paypalwarning.com[/url]  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Originally posted be SeaDweller:

They just want your bank account so they can fck with you.  
View Quote

That's the reason I kept a small checking account open with my old bank when I changed banks a couple years ago.  I only keep a couple hundred in there for impulse purchases.  I figure if they tie up the money in that account, it is at least not linked to my others.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top