Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/15/2003 7:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2003 7:48:14 PM EDT by Merril_B]
I have always wondered, so maybe I could ask a few of the folks here. Why do people care what gun so-and-so uses in a movie? What causes one, upon seeing an actor acting with a particular model or make, to care what kind of gun it was? It can't be a technical or performance issue, as Hollywood’s use of guns is about as realistic as the tooth fairy.
Hey! The gun Shlomo Goldberg was using that movie sure seemed accurate!
View Quote
I really wonder what compels people to seek out information on a particular firearms based on what they see in a movie. It's pretend. Not real. Usually liberal morons in a synthetic reality, getting recorded, and raking in millions of dollars for their efforts. Why in gods name would one give a rats ass what kind of gun they were using in a goddamn movie? Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:43:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:44:39 PM EDT
RIGHT ON LANDON !!!! It's because just like with everything else the sheeple buy, it has been "validated" and deemed cool by being on TV or in film, that means it MUST be the greatest thing ever....right ?? The sheeple have been conditioned, fed and led to slaughter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:46:44 PM EDT
I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me. But it shocks the piss out of me that supposedly savvy gun owners, the very folks who have been demagogued and demonized for the past 30 or so years, are such avid consumers of the very medium which has been shaping public perception against them. So enthusiastic about movies, in fact, that they would care what kind of gun one of the on-screen pretenders was packing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:56:00 PM EDT
Watched "Die another day" on Friday. ...Thinking about getting a P99 now. I guess I am an advertising whore. (Then again, I havent bought a new Aston Martin or a remington shaver yet...)
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:13:48 PM EDT
Because sometimes you cant identify the gun and it bugs you until you find out about it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:30:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:32:30 PM EDT
It's like a test - and I really want to know if I got the answer right!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2003 8:42:03 PM EDT by Merril_B]
Originally Posted By sherm8404: What's so hard to get? It's kind of a silly question. And a very easy answer. Why do kids mimic in dress and deed what they see on TV, Movies and music? Why did zillions of guys go out in the '80s and buy Member's Only jackets and parachute pants. What did Steve McQueen do for the Mustabg Fastback that Ford couldn't have even dreamed of? It's identifying with something trendy, perception of power, and image projection. You see someone looking cool in a particular article of clothing so you buy it to project the same image. S&W specifically sold thousands and thosands of .44 Mags from the Dirty Harry movies. Who knows? You may find that the "FNC" tacticly works for you. Why it's so beyond you is beyond me. For your query to truly belie your own personal tastes and ethos I'm going to have to believe that you've never bought a thing you've seen on TV, in a movie or an ad for. Your a rabid individulist who considers himself well above "trends" and what's popular. I'm sure you have no care as to your appearance, car you drive or clothes you wear cause you just don't "get" what all the fuss is about. I saw a Volkswagon Passat a few years ago and it looked pretty slick. I liked the design, the cool red and blue dash lights, and the creature comforts it had, like a chilled glove box. It appealed to. So I bought one. Do you get that?
View Quote
My question was somewhat rhetorical. I know “why” people do it, and it’s really, really dumb. I think it's a telling emblem of the lowest common denominator of what gun owners (and society at large) has to offer. Am I a rabid individualist? Yes. For you to cite that possibility as being somehow unfathomable speaks volumes about the collectivist mind that obviously you and many others have. It’s really pathetic. A popular method of operation, but truly pathetic in the most honest sense none the less. I have never seen anything on television, movies, or other popular mediums that caused me to want it on sight alone. I guess I am fortunate enough to be able to seperate the reality of life from the myth of movies, and operate accordingly. And I also could give a flying fuck what a gun "looks" like.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2003 9:16:23 PM EDT by HKocher]
I don't know. I've never started a 'what gun...' thread but I suppose if ever did, it would because of a thirst for knowledge. Now if I see a drive by shooting on my way home from work, I can't very well come to the board and ask you guys, "hey, what gun was that guy hanging out the window of the blue Impala using???" But if I see a gun on TV, movies, or news, I can assume at least one other person here saw the program and can answer my question. Doesn't mean I'm going to run off and buy one, nor does it mean that I'm some slave to the evil liberal Hollywood entertainment/media conglomerate. It just means that I'm curious.
Originally Posted By Merril_B: My question was somewhat rhetorical. I know “why” people do it, and [red]it’s really, really dumb[/red]. I think it's a telling emblem of the [red]lowest common denominator[/red] of what gun owners (and society at large) has to offer. Am I a rabid individualist? Yes. For you to cite that possibility as being somehow unfathomable speaks volumes about the [red]collectivist mind that obviously you and many others have[red]. It’s [red]really pathetic[/red]. A popular method of operation, but [red]truly pathetic[/red] in the most honest sense none the less. I have never seen anything on television, movies, or other popular mediums that caused me to want it on sight alone. I guess I am fortunate enough to be able to seperate the reality of life from the myth of movies, and operate accordingly. And I also could give a flying fuck what a gun "looks" like.
View Quote
Perhaps the better question is, if you view yourself as such a rabid individuallist and you obviously (I assume based on your words above) has some strong animosity towards your fellow gun owners, why the hell do you care what we do or why we do it???
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:24:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher: I don't know. I've never started a 'what gun...' thread but I suppose if ever did, it would because of a thirst for knowledge. Now if I see a drive by shooting on my way home from work, I can't very well come to the board and ask you guys, "hey, what gun was that guy hanging out the window of the blue Impala using???" But if I see a gun on [red]TV, movies,[/red] or [blue]news[blue], I can assume at least one other person here saw the program and can answer my question. Perhaps the better question is, if you view yourself as such a rabid individuallist and you obviously (I assume based on your words above) has some strong animosity towards your fellow gun owners, why the hell do you care what we do or why we do it???
View Quote
No animosity towards “gun owners”. There are plenty of people I don’t like who also happen to own guns, but not “gun owners”. I don’t care what other people do or why they do it. It’s still just flat out dumb to base opinion or “thirst for (any) knowledge” based on what Hollywood does or says. TV and movies aren’t the same thing as “news”. Both can be full of lies, but only one is “pretend”. Don't care why people do it, but still free to comment on it's stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:25:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/15/2003 10:19:34 PM EDT by bobbyjack]
Merril-b what are your thoughts on Mensa? Carrots and the 10mm auto? Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:10:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Merril_B: No animosity towards “gun owners”. There are plenty of people I don’t like who also happen to own guns, but not “gun owners”. I don’t care what other people do or why they do it. It’s still just flat out dumb to base opinion or “thirst for (any) knowledge” based on what Hollywood does or says. TV and movies aren’t the same thing as “news”. Both can be full of lies, but only one is “pretend”. Don't care why people do it, but still free to comment on it's stupidity.
View Quote
Ok. Here's my take on it. If I'm watching a movie, and I see an unknown gun, I'm not assuming any kind of factual knowledge on the capabilities of the gun from the movie. So I'm not going to be disappointed when I realize that gun doesn't really have a 300 round capacity, the ability to blast through 2 inches of steel plate, knock a perp off of his feet and through 3 layers of plate glass windows, and still conceal comfortably under a sport coat. But I am simply assuming that there is a good chance that this gun exists, and I would like to know more about it. 9 times out of 10, a gun used in a movie does in fact exist. Sure, it may be a replica, but still it is based on a gun out there that I can't identify, thus I would like the answer to the question: "what gun was X actor using in Y movie?" I assume you don't watch too much TV or movies, but if you did see an unknown gun in a movie, what would you do? Do you simply ignore the urge to identify the weapon? Or do you convince yourself that it's not important, since it was a movie, and continue on with your life with the question unanswered? On one hand, I understand where you're coming from, because I could die a happy man if I NEVER see the "what gun did Pacino use in HEAT?" question posed again. But on the other hand, I see no intrinsic harm from asking a question based on a simple observation from a movie. After all, if someone is so ignorant of the capabilities of firearms that they actually base ALL of their knowledge on what they have witnessed in movies, I'd rather them pose the question here and become educated on the issue instead of continuing to live in ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:17:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher: "hey, what gun was that guy hanging out the window of the blue Impala using???"
View Quote
A die-cast Lorcin .380 with bayonet lug and HomeBoy NyteSytes(tm).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:30:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:33:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar98:
Originally Posted By HKocher: "hey, what gun was that guy hanging out the window of the blue Impala using???"
View Quote
A die-cast Lorcin .380 with bayonet lug and HomeBoy NyteSytes(tm).
View Quote
I think it had a Hellfire trigger on it too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:36:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sherm8404: Using that mode of thinking, no one should desire for a 5.0 Mustang over their Chevy Station Wagon with a Cleveland 305.
View Quote
Cleveland 305? Apparently not a car-guy...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:43:49 AM EDT
shut the fuck up merril. go away.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:52:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Merril_B: I have always wondered, so maybe I could ask a few of the folks here. Why do people care what gun so-and-so uses in a movie? What causes one, upon seeing an actor acting with a particular model or make, to care what kind of gun it was? It can't be a technical or performance issue, as Hollywood’s use of guns is about as realistic as the tooth fairy.
Hey! The gun Shlomo Goldberg was using that movie sure seemed accurate!
View Quote
I really wonder what compels people to seek out information on a particular firearms based on what they see in a movie. It's pretend. Not real. Usually liberal morons in a synthetic reality, getting recorded, and raking in millions of dollars for their efforts. Why in gods name would one give a rats ass what kind of gun they were using in a goddamn movie? Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.
View Quote
We're all really glad you were able to share this with us. I'm sure the rest of us would have never figured out that movies are "..pretend.Not real." [rolleyes] Obviously, you have more serious "issues", for you to get so worked up over other peoples interests, or what you perceive as interest.[:O)]
Top Top